Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The team I worry about

December 01, 2018 06:34AM
Normally, I don't bother with lists like this. But, we're reaching a point where it pays to look about and see what may be awaiting us. We're all imagining the playoffs. As I do so, one team concerns me.

Not the Saints. Oh, we might lose to them. But it would be the title game, and there would be no shame in losing to Brees.

And not the Hawks. Oh, they'd be tough, and they COULD ruin our season. But, tough as they are, they remain limited. I think we have a much higher ceiling in that match up than they do. I trust McV to lead us against a team that needs a lot to go well to beat anybody.

No, the team that concerns me is … the Vikings.

the ringer via Ram43
10. Minnesota Vikings (6-4-1)
The Vikings’ flaws are still glaring, especially along the offensive line, but even a reduced version of this Minnesota team is dangerous. After a puzzling start to the season, Mike Zimmer’s defense is back. The Vikings have stifled their previous three opponents, and they’re also the only team to actually give Drew Brees any problems this season.

Having Dalvin Cook back to create some big plays as a receiver out of the backfield will help this offense find its form, especially considering how little time Kirk Cousins has had to throw the ball for much of the season. Minnesota may not be the juggernaut some expected coming into the year, but this team firmly has the upper hand in the NFC’s wild-card hunt.

Sure, it's history and the fact that I live here in Minny. Any Ram fan who's old enough remembers Fran freaking Tarkenton and Bud Grant. Ugh.

But, it's not that. It's just a look at the 2 teams.

They have an offense with a high ceiling, just the sort of passing game we have really struggled to deal with all season. And unlike KC and NO, they have a really good defense, one that has been playing really tough of late.

We torched that defense the 1st time. But I recall Zimmer's reaction. Rather than being impressed by us, he was disgusted with his unit's performance. I think he'd have some adjustments that would trouble us. And remember: Goff was so impressive because he was hitting impossibly tough throws. That's great but hard to repeat and the need to win battles against really good coverage indicates receivers not managing to get much separation.

Now, the Vikings have had an underwhelming season. They have lost and tied games against so-so teams. They have underperformed, and if they continue doing that, we won't see them again.

But there is a good chance that they are getting their act together for a 2nd half push. If they do that, they will be a very tough out. I would be very, very nervous facing them in, say, Round 2, facing the jeopardy of a 2nd 1 and done post-season.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

NFL Three-Quarter-Mark Power Rankings: How ‘bout them Cowboys?

Rams43289November 30, 2018 07:26PM

The team I worry about

RFL184December 01, 2018 06:34AM

I could slap you....

JamesJM110December 01, 2018 07:23AM

I'd be glad to offer my cheek for a slap ...

RFL126December 01, 2018 07:42AM