Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OK, here's my ten toughts, plus-one, after re-watching

November 22, 2018 07:51AM
1) Everyone's said it already, but I have to just be in awe of Ebukam's performance. He was in on just about every critical defensive play. Not only the scoop-and-score, not only the pick-six (which was a Ringling Bros. feat), but he was a major factor in both of those interceptions at the end. Of course, hitting Mahomes on the first one, but also flushing him out on the second one and forcing Mahomes to make a bad, off-schedule pass. Just amazing.

2) John Johnson III should get more credit than he's getting. He came up huge on two plays in a row when we held the Chiefs to three points on their second drive in the second quarter. He also made some big stops down the stretch in the fourth quarter. JJIII quietly had a big, big game.

3) Jared Goff is totally unflappable. Everyone loves the flashy style of Mahomes and I get that, but sorry Chiefs fans, we have the better QB. Our guy needed one chance for the go-ahead score and got it. Mahomes got two chances at the end and couldn't deliver.

4) I hope McVay dials up a bunch more passes to Higbee!! Actually... maybe keep him on the down-low again until the playoffs where he can catch people by surprise. That guy is just a tough son-of-a-gun and refuses to go down on first contact. Also has incredible hands... seems like half the balls he's caught were tough, hard catches but he comes through with them.

5) I don't think our secondary played as bad as it looked. The Chiefs just made some great plays. But on a few of their completions our guys were inches from getting a hand in there. They weren't badly beat most of the time, just beat by some of the best in the league. Shields actually slammed his hands into the ball on Hill's last reception, but Hill did a great job of holding on. At least one (more than one?) of their big plays came when one of our guys just slipped and fell. The field looked pretty torn up in the middle, so that's just the breaks. But watch out... Talib is on his way back!

6) The 14-second 3-and-out after Peters' interception looked like a really bad series by McVay in real time, but after reflection, it wasn't so bad after all. McVay dialed up a bootleg pass on 2 and 11 that came short because the pass got batted. That play call was actually excellent and should have been the start to icing the game. The receiver was wide open. Not sure whether to fault Goff (he didn't give the pass enough arc... maybe should have tried to get set first?) or just say it was a great pass defense by the Chiefs player.

7) If you think of the Chiefs' score after the first Goff fumble as a bit of a "gimme," the defense really only gave up 37 to this elite Chiefs team. I'm cool with that. Yes, our defense has undeniable weaknesses that could hurt us down the stretch, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion we can't win playoff games with this defense.

8) It can't be said enough times how incredible this team is the way they play for each other and guys step up big when they're needed. With Kupp out, but then both TE's and Josh Reynolds to just fill right in... way to go. Even when Cooks went out for a bit with cramps, Hodge immediately picks up a reception. And Goff went right to him, too. I am in awe of the level of trust they all have in each other no matter who is on the field. This is so special. And that all starts with McVay at the top setting the tone and the culture. IF we win the Super Bowl (big "if" ), I say you immediately extend McVay. Just go ahead and give him a Gruden-like contract. A ring would prove he's worth every penny.

9) Rethinking Colin Cowherd's impression that the Chiefs are really the better team... Cowherd is is an idiot. We basically played 95% of that game without Gurley. I thought it was the gameplan because he didn't look hurt to me, but McVay said otherwise. So, basically, even though he was capable of playing, McVay saved him from potential further injury, basically took him out of a meaningful role in the game, and we still won. Rams are the better team, hands-down.

10) As much as a rematch in the Super Bowl would be fun, I think I'd rather have the Patriots. Boy, oh, boy do I want to smack them down after all these years. And what a storyline that would be: The aging Brady and his video game cheat codes given (a final?) game over by the rising Jared Goff. Low-energy Belichick deep-sixed by the intense and crafty McVay. It's a delicious thought.

Plus 1) I thought the difference after the final gun in the Seattle game and after the final gun in this game Kansas City game was very telling. Both games tested each team's mettle. Both were hard-fought, emotional games (for example, after Ebukam's pick-6, Marcus Peters ended up on top of Mahomes in the pile and you can see he's saying something to him). But after this KC game, our guys and their guys came across the field with smiles and hugs and just tons of mutual respect for one another. So for all the criticism people had for Donald's encounter with Britt or the way we got caught up in some personal fouls against Seattle... sorry man, I'm sticking with our guys. I think this just shows what a monumental POS Pete Carroll is and how his leadership and culture have made Seattle a toxic place (not to mention Exhibit B: the implosion of the Legion of Boom).
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

OK, here's my ten toughts, plus-one, after re-watching

EternalHorns390November 22, 2018 07:51AM

Re: OK, here's my ten toughts, plus-one, after re-watching

sfbayram159November 22, 2018 07:58AM

Nice write up...

sstrams105November 22, 2018 08:05AM

Cowherd is is an idiot.................................nm

idaram121November 22, 2018 09:58AM

Re: Cowherd is is an idiot.................................nm

Rams43114November 22, 2018 10:29AM

OK, to be totally fair