Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: In the modern game, pass rush and secondary cover is the key to the D

November 06, 2018 05:11AM
RockRam
Saints/Rams game highlights that the most important aspect for modern D's is not run stuffing; it is defending the pass.

Pass rushers and great cover secondary players are critical. Big LBs that stuff the run are no longer the way to go, imo.

I suspect the Rams are crossing their fingers that Fowler will show that outside pressure and that they can re-sign him for less than market.

I have no doubt the Rams will keep Talib next year. Peters needs to get back to form or he's gone. And I see the Rams FA needs now as either FS or press-man cover corner.

It's because of the new rules, the way creative coaches approach the passing game, some good new QBs in the league as well as some older ones who have extended their careers, and a new generation of WRs that have grown up in the "the CB can't touch me" era.

The defenses have yet to catch up.

We're going to see an inordinate amount of CBs and cover Safeties taken in the draft this year, and acquired through FA.

And BTW: I don't think Joyner will be back. His size is not optimal for FS, and his cover ability is only average or a little above. I also think that Suh will not be back. He's played well. But that $14 mil would be better spent on Secondary players.

Are you saying that this is even more true than it has been for the past several years?

I agree with you that pass rushing and the secondary are the most critical aspects of defense. Wade has been structuring his defenses with this in mind for several years. Hence why we essentially traded Quinn and AO for Talib and Peters.

I'm not so certain though that anything changes as far as CBs and Safeties being taken in the draft because the league has been trending this way for a while now. But specifically for the Rams I think you're right that edge defender and CB will be high on the Rams off season needs.

On FS, they may already have that solved. JJ3 can play either safety position. I think they move him there once Joyner leaves.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

In the modern game, pass rush and secondary cover is the key to the D

RockRam161November 06, 2018 04:14AM

Steve69November 06, 2018 04:37AM

dzrams57November 06, 2018 05:11AM