Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Colosseum Ghosts

October 31, 2018 05:53AM
In the last game before Hallowe'en, I thought it worthy of note that we clinched the GB game channeling the glories of the 60s.

We had the ball, 3 and like 12 in easy FG range. I knew we wouldn't throw the ball, and I figured we'd come up short. I was calculating how an extra 3 would force Rogers to go for the EZ. And then Gurley roared upfield for 14 or so and settled in for his Rolex Moment self-sacrifice.

But here's the thing. Did you notice the play?

A power sweep toss. And how is THAT CALL a matter of channeling ghosts? Well, if you are old enough, you will recall two specters.

1st, we were playing GB and the power sweep was Vince Lombardi's signature play. Some of us will recall Hornung and Taylor running that play over and over and over. Lombardi worked on the play obsessively, devoting huge portions of Packer practice to it. The entire league knew it was coming, but could rarely stop it.

And here we were clinching the gamer with Lombardi's favorite tactic. Irony of ironies. And yet …

The play ALSO channeled the glory days of USC in the Colosseum. What play were the Trojans known for in the 60s?

"Student body right/left." How many great Trojan RBs tore chunks out of defenders off of power tosses? Some of you SOCAL fans will have vivid memories of that play.

Oddly enough, we don't seem to see power tosses that often these days. Or, at least, I don't notice them cropping up. Not sure why that is. Actually, I would think that it could pretty frequently be a really effective tactic for Todd.

At any event, I thought it was damn cool on Sunday. Playing GB in the Colosseum … and topping off the game with "student body left"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 05:57AM by RFL.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Colosseum Ghosts

RFL318October 31, 2018 05:53AM

Colosseum is in Rome

21Dog123October 31, 2018 06:01AM

LOL!

RFL109October 31, 2018 06:03AM

student body right, student body left

21Dog118October 31, 2018 06:08AM

The Pete Caroll effect

RFL105October 31, 2018 06:11AM

Re: The Pete Caroll effect