Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: LA - GB Postgame Quotes - Sunday., Oct. 28

October 29, 2018 12:29AM
Rams vs. Packers Postgame Notes

- The Rams beat the Packers, 29-27, and improved to 8-0 on the season.

- Marks the second time in franchise history that the Rams have started a season 8-0. The last time the Rams started 8-0 was in 1969 when they went 11-0.

- QB Jared Goff completed 19-of-35 passes for 295 yards and three touchdowns for a passer rating of 111.0.

- RB Todd Gurley rushed 25 times for 114 yards and caught six passes for 81 yards and a touchdown. In total, Gurley had 31 touches for 195 yards.

- Gurley has scored a touchdown in 11 consecutive regular season games dating back to the Eagles game (12/10/17). His streak is tied for the longest streak by a Rams player since the merger, and ties the franchise record held by Elroy Hirsch (1950-51).

- Gurley, the NFL’s leading scorer, has 15 touchdowns (11 rushing, four receiving and three, 2-point conversions) for 96 points.

- Marked Gurley’s 15th career 100-plus yard rushing game.

- WR Josh Reynolds recorded a 1-yard touchdown pass from Goff. Reynolds hauled in a second touchdown from Goff on a 19-yard pass. Marked Reynolds’ first multi-touchdown game of his career.

- DT Aaron Donald sacked Packers QB Aaron Rodgers twice. Donald has registered a sack in five consecutive games. Donald now has 10.0 sacks this season and 49.0 career.

- Previously, Donald had a four-game stretch with consecutive sacks, each a single sack. This stretch he has gone 2.0, 1.0, 1.0, 4.0, 2.0 – dating back to the Vikings match-up on 9/27/18.

- LB Cory Littleton notched his third sack of the season, fourth career on Packers QB Aaron Rodgers.

- LB Mark Barron registered a safety on Packers RB Aaron Jones. Marked the second safety of the season for the Rams, in as many games.

- LB Ramik Wilson forced KR Ty Montgomery to fumble on the final kickoff of the game. Wilson secured the fumble to give the Rams the ball and secure the win.

- According to press box statistics, Littleton led the team in tackles with eight.

- P Johnny Hekker completed a pass to CB Sam Shields on a fake punt. Marked Hekker’s first completion of the season and 10th career.

- Hekker punted seven times for 316 yards a 45.1-yard average and 43.3-yard net average. Hekker placed three punts inside the 20-yard line and had a long of 52 yards.

- K Greg Zuerlein converted two field goals from 43 and 34 yards.

- Zuerlein (159) passed former K Mike Lansford (158) for the second-most made FGs in franchise history. Jeff Wilkins (265) holds the team record for made FGs.

========================================================================================

TRANSCRIPTS: Los Angeles Rams - Green Bay Packers Postgame Quotes - Sunday., Oct. 28

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Rams-Packers Postgame – Oct. 28, 2018

(Opening Statement)

“What a hard-fought win. Our team did an excellent job just finding a way to get it done. Can’t say enough about our players’ resilience, their ability to just stick together, stay connected. It didn’t start off great at all for us offensively, and that was a result of some of the situations I put us in. But, the guys settled in. We made some plays at the end of the half. I thought it was huge to be able to have our special teams pin them down deep, resulting in a safety to get us on the board from the start. Then, really, when you just look at really playing complementary football – offense, defense, special teams – all three phases, having to come through and make plays that were instrumental for the outcome. Really just proud of our team today. Coaches did an excellent job. Hats off to (Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy) Coach McCarthy, and his staff and their players. That’s an excellent team right there and that was a really hard-fought win. We’ve got a lot of things we can learn from it, but well certainly take it and it was great by our players today.”

(On if there’s anything he can attribute to slow start on offense)

“I don’t want to take anything away from the Packers. I thought they did a good job. I think there were some situations, in terms of just the rhythm, the tempo, I didn’t enable us to get into. We had some incompletions on some first downs, or some inefficient runs as a result of getting into some looks that we really didn’t want to do. That starts with me and really then it leads to the second down-and-longs, and then you're in those third-and-longer situations where they can tee off. (Packers Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Mike) Pettine has a great package where he can provide a variety of different looks and we struggled with that a little bit. They did a nice job. I thought the defense, just being able to keep it a one possession game as a result of just us seeming like we were just punting and going – we get a first down, but then we go three-and-out right after that. The guys did a good job making some corrections in the second half. (WR) Josh Reynolds, what a great job he did stepping up in a big way with two touchdowns. (Lcool smiley Ramik Wilson forcing the fumble and being able to get that recovery and then (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) being able to close it out. Great job by the offensive line and then having the presence situationally and understand, ‘I could score right there, but I’m going to get down and know that the next play we end up taking a knee and running the clock out.' That’s the situational awareness we talk about, unselfishness. When one of your best players embodies, that it’s good things. (DT) Aaron (Donald) shows up in a big way again today. Just a lot of really great individual contributions to a team win that you can’t say enough about our guys today.”

(On it being the second game QB Jared Goff has lead the team back to a win from a 10-point deficient and if it’s a signature victory for him)

“I think it just continues to demonstrate that he's got an even keel demeanor, a great poise about himself that no moment’s too big. Really, he just continues to play that next snap. You know how much confidence that we have in (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) and he’s doing an excellent job. Signature win, I think it was a great win for our team today and he did a great job leading our offense. His demeanor does help. I’m a little bit more wired than Jared, but he can help me even out a little bit. Just a great job. He had a great command of the game, especially in the second half where I think the game slowed down a little bit for him. That’s a tough defense, really impressed just with some of the different looks Coach Pettine and his staff presented and then their players’ ability to execute. Felt (Packers OLcool smiley Clay Matthews all day. They moved (Packers Ccool smiley Tramon Williams into the nickel spot and did a couple different things then what we had seen in the first six games. Safeties were very active, they did a nice job with their interior front as well.”

(On the pressures and how much of that became an issue of adjusting or just more efficiency of the execution)

“Yes, I think that was it. It was really more a matter of let’s be efficient on the early downs and not get ourselves into the second-and-long and third-and-longs. Then I thought you could see we got some good tempo going, where you got some second-and-manageables. Got them in a couple man coverage principles where Todd ends up coming out the backdoor on a great job by the line picking it up, being able to protect and then Todd coming out the backdoor. Then we ended up converting on the two-point conversion on that drive. I thought we got going a little bit there. (WR) Robert (Woods) and (WR) Brandin (Cooks) both had big catches. Obviously, Josh Reynolds with the two touchdowns. The one on the third down and the one from the one (yard-line). It was just tough and Josh stepped up in a big way today. A lot of guys made a lot of big time plays. The offensive line continues just to demonstrate that grit that we love and defense just flew around. (Packers Qcool smiley Aaron Rodgers is unbelievable and some of the different things, (Packers WR) Davante Adams is a great player. They’ve got a lot of great players and it was tough, man. You could feel it, that was a high caliber back and forth game. There was Packers fans – there was a lot of Packers fans here today, too. There was a lot of cheers when the Packers scored, I was a little surprised about that (laughs)."

(On having won a lot of lopsided games and how important is it for the team to have a tight comeback game)

“This league is so tough. Every week presents a new challenge and something we can learn from – and that's whether you win or lose. That's what the beauty of this game is. There's a lot of things that I know, starting with myself, that I can learn from and try to be better moving forward. I just think the toughness, the mental toughness, being your best regardless of the circumstances that our team has demonstrated. We've had a lot of tough wins. You look at, at Seattle, having to come from behind in a back and forth game, what the Denver game entailed. So I think this team has demonstrated through eight games, while we have a long way to go, there is a variety of ways we can win. But ultimately, our team is winning games because all three phases are doing an excellent job contributing to the outcome that we've gotten so far."

(On if Goff is feeling OK physically after taking some hard shots)

“Yes, I think he took some shots. It was a physical game, but I think he's going to be good. I think no different than any other week where physical football game, playing the quarterback position, sat in there, kept his eyes down the field, took some shots after he delivered the football. Had a couple times where they ended up getting to us with some good pressures. So, I'm sure he'll be sore tomorrow, but I don't think it's going to be anything that's going to prevent him from being able to go this week."

(On Gurley going down like he did on the last play of the game and if it was something that was discussed or if he just did that knowingly)

“That's something that we talk about, but Todd probably would of done that on his own. But when we send it in we say, 'Alright, this is a situation where if we get the first down we're going down, we don't want to score.' But smart players find a way to just make happen when it comes down to it. When that situation presented itself, great job by the offensive line and some of our perimeter skill players to be able to get us out on the edge on a toss-crack play and then him having the presence to get down. I'm sure some of his fantasy owners won't be happy but that was a great job by Todd for the win."

(On CB Sam Shields and how he played against his former team)

“Unbelievable. I don't know if you guys read that article that he wrote in The Players' Tribune, but you talk about a guy that you can't help but root for. Some of the things that he had to go through to get back to this point, you just love that. That's what special about (Ccool smiley Sam (Shields). Hearing some of the things, especially the way he feels about this team, the way that the teammates and the way that he's really endeared himself to his teammates, become part of this group, this family that we got going right now. It was awesome for Sam. Giving him a game ball, he certainly deserved that. Made a couple plays that were instrumental for the outcome, but what a stud he is. In talking about how much he loves football, that feeling you get in that locker room, be able to share that feeling of accomplishment with your teammates. That's what's so special about this game and it's great to have Sam on our side."

(On if the crowd noise had an affect on anything they did on offense)

"It didn’t, but it got a little bit louder than what you anticipate when you’re in a home atmosphere. It’s a credit to Green Bay. Great franchise, great organization. They traveled well and there was a lot of people that were excited. But it was an awesome atmosphere in the Coliseum. You talk about, going back to the last time we were here, the Minnesota (Vikings) Thursday night game and then this one right here. It’s been a great atmosphere and environment in the Coliseum and something we love being back at home. It was great to be able to get a win in front of our fans.”

(On how instrumental the safety was before the half as well as the two overturned catch calls)

"Yeah, incredible. The defense, that’s something that’s been consistent. You look at their ability and (Defensive Coordinator) Wade’s (Phillips) staff and our players to be able to adjust and adapt. Then, I thought it was also very critical for us to be able to sustain some drives on offense, keeping our defense off the field. Some big third-down stops. Got them in some second-and-longs, some third-and-longs and really, it was an outstanding job by those guys in the second half without a doubt.”

(On what it means to be the only 8-0 team in the league)

"I think what it means is that everybody puts so much work into those three and a half hours or however long the game ends up being. To be able to share in that accomplishment, you’re just so excited for the players, for our coaches, just to be a part of it. When you see your guys having success, doing the little things the right way that ends up leading to the outcome that we want, you get excited about it. I probably was a little excited. I don’t really remember it, but I do remember seeing him get that first down, do a great job getting down. Just the feeling of that shared accomplishment is what’s special. It’s eight games and that’s really a credit to our players, but there’s a long, long way to go. We’ve got a great football team that we’ve got to get ready for on the road in the New Orleans Saints who – excellent in three phases. (Saints Head Coach) Sean Payton does a great job. Obviously, (Qcool smiley Drew (Brees) doing an excellent job again this year. They’ve got a lot of weapons. We’ll look at this film, clean it up and then can’t wait to get ready for the Saints this week.”

Rams QB Jared Goff – Rams-Packers Postgame – Oct. 28, 2018

(On plugging in multiple receivers on offense and not skipping a beat)

"It's been great to see really, (WR) Josh (Reynolds) step up, (WR) KhaDarel (Hodge) at times when he gets in there and then (WR) Nick Williams as well in the absence of (WR) Cooper (Kupp). Josh had a great day, two touchdowns. I told him, he doesn't always start, but when he does he tends to catch two touchdowns and today he did as well."

(On if his heart rate went up today at all)

"The fumble at the end. That was exciting. Very exciting. I said this in the locker room, that was probably my favorite one of the year. We say that, we have been fortunate enough to win a bunch of them. Today was a hard-fought from the get go. Really hard fought and we needed all 22 (players) and special teams and we got it. We got it done."

(On if there was any worry when they were down 10 points)

"No, why would we be worried? It's a long game. It's a long game. I think to your point though, we do tend to score a lot of points and when we don't, we can't freak out and understand that there are four quarters and we've got a lot of time."

(On if he was excited to get an opportunity to lead the offense down the field when Green Bay took the lead late in the fourth quarter)

"Yeah, we were fortunate enough to get two opportunities. The first one there with about eight minutes left we didn't convert on. Had a couple of bad plays there. We were lucky enough to get the ball back and get that punt and then get in good field position and (K) Greg (Zuerlein) - automatic. Right down the middle."

(On his attitude and approach to that last offensive drive)

"Just the same way. I think, like I said, the first one, you want to score on that one and then you're kind of disappointed you didn't. But, understanding there's a lot of time left. It wasn't the last drive of the game and still had some time. Defense came up huge and made a big stop, got us the ball back. Like I said, Greg is automatic from that distance."

(On how much it helps that all three units can make a play at any given point)

"We rely on each other. Today, we really leaned heavy on the defense and they came up huge for us. I think – (DT) Aaron (Donald) again is just playing at an insanely high level right now. Just being able to lean on all those guys at every position over there and lean on special teams. Then the flip side, they're leaning on us at times. That's the way you want your team to be built and up to this point we've been that way.”

(On if he gets excited when he sees a punt get downed at the 1-yard line with the potential for the defense to record a safety)

"Yeah, no doubt. I think with the internal push we get up front, when (P) Johnny (Hekker) puts it down anywhere really inside the five (-yard line), we know we've got a chance for that. Today, I don't know who really made the tackle there, but someone slipped through and made a good play."

(On what it was like playing in the L.A. Memorial Coliseum atmosphere today and if it was different than what he'd normally expect for a home game)

"Yeah, we kind of expected that a little bit. They travel well. I think today it's a record for most sporting events (in Los Angeles) or something like that. So, we knew there was going to be a little bit of that and kind of expected it, but I thought the atmosphere was incredible on both sides, for their fans or our fans. It was a lot of fun and it was loud really the whole game. So, it was a fun one."

(On if Todd Gurley II's awareness to get down in bounds on the final drive was something they discussed)

"We talked about it right prior. Had I not told him, he might have done it on his own anyways. He's a smart player, but (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) told me to remind everyone, 'We don't want to score. Just get down if we get a chance to score.' (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) is a smart player and made that play."

(On if he was bracing for Gurley to get down on that play)

"I saw when he kind of slowed down. He knew what he was doing. I was just hoping he didn't get out of bounds. Again, he's a smart player – a lot smarter I think than he wants people to think. He did a great job."

(On if being the only remaining undefeated team has become a thing with the team)

"I don't think so. No, it's half way through and we've been fortunate enough to get to this point and be 8-0 up to this point. But, no I don't think so. I think we're focused on one game at a time."

(On if McVay was any more wired than usual on the sideline today)

"Yeah, I think so. I think some of the touchdowns, you get him fired up a bit and he tends to get excited. We love it. We feed off that. He feeds off our energy, we feed off his."

(On how much of his temperament during the game is naturally the way he is and how much is something he works on)

"I don't know what it comes from, just trying to be the calming presence and understanding that anything other than that is not going to help us win. There are times where that calming can help us win and help us relax. I try to stay that way, sometimes I don't. I do my best to stay that way, but we have a lot of guys who are like that, not just myself. But up front, the O-line is so mature and so grounded and understand that we get down early, we get down 10 points, it's not the end of the world. We're used to scoring so many points and getting up early and not freaking out and not making it a bigger deal than it is and just trying to grind one play at a time."

(On what it feels like to beat Packers QB Aaron Rodgers after watching him play growing up)

"I don't think of it that way. We beat the Packers today. It was fun competing with him on the same field. Hell of a player, a guy I'm a fan of. It was a fun one."

(On if Rodgers said anything to him after the game)

"Nothing that no one else has said."

(On what the team can improve on and what he individually can improve on going into the second half of the season)

"Yeah, same kind of stuff we talk about. Just continue to finish drives and try to start a little bit faster. I think we've kind of put an emphasis on that the last few weeks and today would have been an example where we could've done that better. Just try to continue to get better and start faster and continue to feed off each other. I think that's the biggest thing is understanding that there's going to be times where we don't play up to where we want to play all the time. Our defense is going to play well and then it's going to happen on the flip side, I'm sure, and just try to continue to feed off each other."

(On what sort of adjustments the offense made when Green Bay was getting pressure on him early on and how much the calming presence of the O-line helps in a situation like that)

"It was slightly unusual for some guys to get through there early on. That doesn't happen to us really ever. I just think, like I said, their calming presence and how smart they are, I never was worried or thinking about it or anything. They're so good up front and do such a good job that once we settled in, I had all the faith in the world in them. Very thankful for all five of them. They did a great job today."

(On how much tempo helped mitigate the Green Bay pass rush)

"Huge. I think any time we can get into that point in the game where we can push the tempo and move the ball on people, it's a huge weapon for us."

(On if he's feeling okay physically after today's game)

"Yeah, I'm good. You okay?"

(On if he views Gurley as a player who gets stronger as the game progresses like those traditional bell cow running backs)

"No doubt. I think just like our whole team, we make adjustments at halftime and get better as the game goes on, but he’s no different. He’s, in my opinion, the best back in the league and I’m very lucky to have him. He did get better today as the game went on and good backs do that.”

Rams WR Robert Woods – Rams-Packers Postgame – Oct. 28, 2018

(On it being a hard-fought win)

“Yeah, we knew there was going to be some good matchups. We know (Packers Qcool smiley Aaron Rodgers coming in. We know they have a good pass defense. But it’s the NFL, we know we’re going to have some tough matchups. All that matters is the score at the end of the game and just battling and winning.”

(On what changes they made at halftime)

“Biggest thing was get the ground game going. I think we came in with 20 rushing yards and just try to be balanced and attack them. I think we opened up in the run game. Then of course, in the pass game. (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) able to find open targets, open receivers and get (WR) Josh Reynolds going.”

(On not having a lot of windows to throw early in the first half and if the Packers played good tight coverage on them)

“I think they played pretty well. They had a good plan – tight windows, get after the quarterback, give him some pressure, make him get it out of his hands, make the windows quicker, make him get rid of the ball quicker. Like you said, make those windows tighter.”

(On going offensively in the third quarter and feeling a rhythm)

“Our juice. We like to feel that tempo. We like to feel that work when we’re pushing the defense. We like to feel like we’re wearing on them. I think that drive was that. It was a complete drive. We moved the ball down the field, finished with in the end zone. You felt the energy in the crowd. You felt the energy on the team, on the offense and that really got us going. Once we took the lead, got this offense rolling, we’re hard to stop.”

Rams RB Todd Gurley II – Rams-Packers Postgame – Oct. 28, 2018

(On if it was predetermined to let himself get tackled and not go into the end zone during his final rushing play of the game)

“Yeah, we go over this stuff every week. We know what to do in what situations. That’s what makes us the team that we are – unselfish players, situational masters – that’s what it’s all about, just having that edge. It’s not all about talent or whatever. You know you can always beat somebody by just knowing the situations of the game. We don’t want to give 12 (Packers QB Aaron Rodgers) the back the ball.”

(On how important it was to get the comeback win)

“It was good. It was good. It kind of reminded us of the last home game against Minnesota (Vikings). Going back and forth, back and forth. (Lcool smiley Ramik (Wilson) makes a great play at the end of the game. That’s why you love this team. Just find a way. Call it luck, whatever you call it, but he went out there, made a great play. Then, we finished it on offense.”

(On if there is a confidence on the bench that somebody can step up and make a play)

“Oh yeah, for sure. (DT) Aaron (Donald) had that big sack in the fourth quarter. Just guys are going to make plays. That’s why we’re the team that we are. That’s why we have the players that we have. Big time guys make big time plays in big situations. That’s what we were able to do today to finish the game and get this win.”

Rams DT Aaron Donald – Rams-Packers Postgame – Oct. 28, 2018

(On if he was concerned about Packers QB Aaron Rodgers getting the ball back at the end of the game)

“We weren’t. We knew we were going to go out there and try to make another stop if we needed to, but our offense closed it out. We came out with a win and we’re 8-0. We’re feeling good.”

(On getting to Rodgers a couple times in big situations)

“We’re out there doing our job. He was holding on to the ball a little bit and they were doing a great job in the backend with the coverage and gave us opportunities to sack him and get quarterback hits and pressures on him. Anytime you play a quarterback like that that’s what you need.”

(On if it was nice to get to Rodgers because he had never sacked him before)

“Anytime you get a sack, it’s going to be good, definitely when it’s needed. We’re just feeling good, we got the win. We’ll watch the film, build off the good things and fix the things we did wrong. But we feel good to be 8-0.”

Rams LB Ramik Wilson – Rams-Packers Postgame – Oct. 28, 2018

(On if he was expecting the Packers to take the ball out of the end zone at the end of the game)

“Of course. We saw on film (Packers WR) Ty Montgomery always taking the ball out, so we had to make him pay for it.”

(On if he knew that play sealed the victory)

“Yeah, I was just ready to celebrate with my teammates and secure the win.”

(On what point he realized he could get up with the ball after recovering fumble)

“It was awhile, I was down there for a while. Teammates were cheering. It was a big play and helped secure the win.”

(On if he punched the ball out)

“It was one of the biggest collisions I’ve been in so we both felt it and he fumbled.”

Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy – Rams-Packers Postgame – Oct. 28, 2018

(Opening remarks)
“That was a tough loss, hard-fought loss. Coming out here, I thought the team had a really good week of preparation, very clearly our best week leading into it. We started the game as we would like running the football, our defense was outstanding there throughout the first half and then you could see that both teams were wearing down. I thought our guys fought. The Rams, congratulations. I thought they put on a tremendous effort, but the big plays, the back-and-forth, it’s a tough one to swallow. It really came down to critical plays at the end of the game that we couldn’t overcome, so tough one. We improved in some areas today, but self-improvement was for Monday, so expected to win, didn’t play well enough down the stretch.”

(On the energy that the Packers came out with and if it is reasonable for the team to continue that energy throughout the game)

“It was a great atmosphere. I can’t say enough about the Packer fans here today. It was outstanding. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen anything like it. Obviously, I haven’t been to a game here in decades, but it was a great atmosphere. I thought our guys prepared, coming off of the bye week, we had extra time to prepare for the Rams. We were ready to play and frankly, probably the first time in a while we’ve been healthy. We were a healthy football team, we had healthy guys that were inactive and I think that was really a product of all those things.”

(On whether Packers RB Ty Montgomery was instructed to take the touchback on the kick return at the end of the game, which he fumbled)

“Well, you look at the last situation, the plan there is to stay in the end zone. Two-minute, we actually talked about it as a team, clearly part of that situation that both sides of the ball handle right now. That’s what those games come down to is your decisions and (Packers Rcool smiley Ty (Montgomery) is in that decision situation and I’m sure Ty was trying to make a play. I don’t know exactly how deep he was, if it was close, but I think we all realized that the management of the clock and where we wanted to be there, we wanted to be north of two minutes with the one time-out and put the ball in (Packers Qcool smiley Aaron (Rodgers)’s hands. But also, you trust your players, tough decisions, close decisions, and like I said, I think Ty was just trying to make a play.”

(On if Montgomery should have been told to take the touchback, no matter what)
“There’s periods to that and like I said, I answered that in the beginning. The plan was to stay in and give the ball to Aaron Rodgers.”

(On if game planning against a tough defense like this brings out more creativity in his offense)

“No, I mean the starting point is, number one, we were healthy. The fact that we had everybody there for the whole week of preparation, so you’re able to get in and out of your different personnel groups, but we start always entirely based on who we think is going to line up in the 46, then you can prepare for the other teams, so that’s really the product of that. The creativity aspect of it, that’s what the offseason is for. We got a lot of scheme, all three phases left, but once again, you want to fit to make sure you give your players a chance to be successful, so that’s why we move those guys around. That’s really a product of who is healthy and what you think they’re going to do.”

(On his assessment of his defense’s performance against the Rams offense)

"I thought that (Packers Defensive Coordinator) Mike (Pettine), the defensive coaches and players had a hell of a plan and a great start. You’re talking about the top offense as far as statistically and we felt strong going against their defense, too. We knew this was going to be a heavyweight type football game. That’s the way we approached it. That’s the way we talked about it all week. I think that Mike Pettine and our defensive guys did a hell of a job. Critical plays at the end of the game, that’s what it comes down to and we didn’t make them.”

(On his assessment of Packers RB Aaron Jones’ performance)

“I thought (Packers Rcool smiley Aaron (Jones) played well first and second down. There are some things on third down we’ll continue to work through, but the focus was trying to get him some more touches today and I thought he was really productive.”

Packers QB Aaron Rodgers – Rams-Packers Postgame – Oct. 28, 2018

(On how disappointing it was not to get the ball on the final drive)

“Yeah, very disappointing. That play didn’t lose the game but it definitely took away an opportunity for us to go down and win it.”

(On what helped the offense in the first half)

“Yeah, we just moved (WR) Davante (Adams) around a little bit. Then, obviously, we were looking for a matchup for (WR) Marquez (Valdes-Scantling) outside, so just moving Davante around a little bit, getting him into space. Then, obviously, (Rcool smiley Aaron (Jones) had a nice day running the ball. We got a good situation, really playing some of matched coverage and got him loose in the seam.”

(On if he and WR Aaron Jones saw an opening in the Rams defense during the game)

“We talked about it on the sideline. There was a picture we’d looked at and looked like he had gotten on top - and I asked him - you know - I said, ‘What do you want? Do you want another go-route or you want to stop-right?’ He said, ‘No, I want another go-route.’ I said, ‘Ok.’ So I came back to him, they beat him inside, re-stacked, and it was a nice play.”

(On the atmosphere at the Coliseum today)

“Yeah, it sounded like a home game at times for us - the crowd was fantastic. I don’t really expect that maybe in LA - but I know they had five LA teams playing today, so I was glad the Packer fans showed up. They were fantastic, great energy - just disappointed we couldn’t get one last drive.”

(On the hand-offs and drop-backs in the first half compared to the second half)

“I mean that’s on - that was (Head Coach) Mike (McCarthy) calling plays - obviously you know, I call them in the two-minute - but we decided to open things up a little bit in the second half and it was working. We went through some one-by-three stuff, and moved Davante (Adams) around, and then got (Aaron) Jones some opportunities on favorable down and distance.”

(On if he feels like the game moves slower when RB Aaron Jones is not playing)

“I mean look - that’s not - my responsibility is to play quarterback. I’m not handling substitution personnel. When he’s in there, he can be dynamic. The other two guys have had moments as well. So, I’m not thinking about who’s in at running back, I’m just making sure that guy knows what he’s doing.”

(On if a close loss is galvanizing)

“I mean, the urgency has to pick up. So maybe that does that but there’s no momentum game from a loss, in my opinion. We can play with anybody but we knew that before this game. It wasn’t like there was some revelation like, ‘Oh ok, yea, we can play with the Rams.’ No, we can play with anybody. But I’m disappointed because our defense really played well. and we were just really slow going in the first half. I couldn’t get a lot of things going. By the time we got back up ahead, you know, we just had one job to finish the game off and didn’t come up with it.”

(On the challenge of starting inside the 5-yard line against the Rams twice in two different series)

“Yeah its tough. It was two good punts by (P) Johnny (Hekker). The first time we got out of there and we had a first down and changed focus a little bit. But the second time, obviously, we gave them a couple points. The way our defense was playing, that was obviously a momentum swing that we didn’t want. Backed up those could be the back breaking drives for a game if you can get your first downs together, change field possession, and get on their side of the field. But we couldn’t get it started”

(On how concerned he is where the Packers record is and if he thinks they are better than their record)

“We’re eight weeks in. We got nine to go. We’re in a tough stretch right now playing a bunch of division winners and we got to find a way to win a game on the road. We’re 0-3 on the road, we’re 3-0-1 at home. We know we’re tough to beat at home, know we know that we can play with anybody, if we didn’t know that already. So we got to go to New England and beat a really good football team.”

(On how he feels how they handled DT Aaron Donald and does he feel they blocked him)

“He had 4.0 sacks last week, so there was a reduction in that area. I’m proud of my guys. My line, I can’t say enough great things about them. They came together (RG) Byron (Bell) has been a galvanizing force for us a guard. His attitude, his approach he’s been fantastic. Obviously, I think we have the best left tackle in the league. The guys, we’ve fought through some stuff and we have made it work at times and I’m really proud of the way the guys played.”

(On what his thoughts are on the Rams as the only unbeaten team left)

“I think they are really good. I think we are pretty good too.”

Packers RB Aaron Jones – Rams-Packers Postgame – Oct. 28, 2018

(On Offense Emphasis)

“We wanted to come out balanced, establish the run to get them to back up a little bit stack the box, that way we could of open up with play-action which I thought play action was working well”.

(On his touchdown)

“(Packers Qcool smiley Aaron (Rodgers) would say, ‘Go make a play,’ and that’s what happened, the guys upfront along with the rest of the blocking unit, they did a great job. It was open, I was one on one with the safety and I like my chances going one on one with the safety.

(On the RB Ty Montgomery’s fumble and how they pick him up)

“Let him (RB Ty Montgomery) know that he is bigger than that, one play doesn’t define you, it effected the game but you got to come back and bounce back because we need you for the rest of the season.

(On what happened on the safety)

The safety, a good defensive call, shot the gap soon as (Packers Qcool smiley Aaron (Rodgers) was handing off, it was just a good defense of call. I was just getting the ball and he was right up in my face. I just tried to drive my feet in the ground and get out, stretch the ball out”.

Packers WR Davante Adams – Rams-Packers Postgame – Oct. 28, 2018

(On second half adjustments)

“We started getting aggressive like we need to be, that’s really what makes it so frustrating when you know you played a great game as a team and then some things happen towards the end and it just kind of crumbles. You got to play a fully complete game and we didn’t do that.”

(On Big catch from Packers QB Aaron Rodgers throw)

“Good call, good design they were expecting something shorter, because they saw me ran at the sticks when they saw me stutter, great ball by (Packers Qcool smiley Aaron (Rodgers) just got to be able to make the play.”

(On switch up on offense in the second half)

“Just got a little bit more aggressive that’s what we got to do, we got to started off like that. The games not going always be as close. We called a pretty good game, Aaron had some great checks there, he manipulated a lot what was going on in that second half. When you get a good feel of what’s going on it makes things easier.”

Packers OLB Clay Matthews – Rams-Packers Postgame – Oct. 28, 2018

(On the defense’s performance)

“I felt like we just showed up. I mean, obviously, they’ve had the success they’ve had with a lot smoke and mirrors, good play-calling, speed and misdirection. We came out and made it kind of dirty and grimy, really got after them, hit the quarterback. Obviously, they kind of found their footing in the second half, maybe late in the first half, but then we put it back on them at the end of the game. We did just enough for our offense to get down there. It really is a shame the way in which we dropped that game. You’d like to think, if we see these guys again, but at 3-3-1 we need to start winning these games. We can’t let them go. It also shows what type of team we have and what we can be. We’ve just got to capitalize. It’s frustrating, but I thought our defense played really well today. We obviously gave up some points, but we competed all day long. I thought for the most part we held them in check.”

(On what he means when he says ‘the team showed up’ and how he would evaluate the team’s energy today compared to previous weeks)

“Well, we’re always trying to get better and gel and what not. I don’t know if it’s a good opponent that we show up for or we take other guys lightly. The bottom line is we need to keep ascending. I mean we lost, so I can’t sit here and toot our own horn. But, we played well and we have to keep that thing going because we’ve got New England out there on Sunday night and that’s not going to be an easy place to play.”

(On if today’s loss can be galvanizing)

“It better be because that’s the best team in the NFL and we hung toe to toe with them and had a chance at the end to win it. We’ve got to take that moving forward. I know we lost, but we’ve got to take that capability and move it forward. Like I said, we’ve got New England next week. We know that they’re one of the best, if not the best, NFC team. So, we’re going to have to show up again next week and this time get the win.”

Packers NT Kenny Clark – Rams-Packers Postgame – Oct. 28, 2018

(On the amount of new defensive schemes in today’s gameplan)

“None of it. None of it was new. We lined up and we knew they were going to try and run the ball inside and we played ball.”

(On if the defense showed all the schemes they ran today through the first six weeks)

“I wouldn’t say that. I mean we got some stuff. I think it was more important for us to just play fast, get into stuff that we know…It was just getting lined up and playing.”

(On what brought out the early energy from the defense)

“It’s a big game. Whenever you’re going against a team like this, a really good team, a win that we needed as a team. We came out with that energy. We started really fast. Like I said earlier, I think we did a lot of good things. It’s just disappointing for us to lose the game.”

(On if playing to the level of the opponent is frustrating)

“I mean with those other games, we’ve got to just figure that out. I don’t understand that honestly. In my mind, I swear, if we play games like that, we’re going to win a lot of games. I don’t really know how else to explain it. We’ve got to come out there like that every game. I really feel like we can get teams on their heels and with the offense that we have, we can put up points and get up on guys easy.”

(On why the interior pass rush was successful today)

“Just winning our one-on-ones and just battling. We respect them. They’re a good offensive line, but we’ve got good players on our defensive line, too. All the noise, ‘We’re getting pushed around,’ and all that. If you watch the tape of this game, I think we definitely won the battle in the trenches if you watch the film. We’ve just got to be better at situations and can’t lose games like that.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPTS: LA - GB Postgame Quotes - Sunday., Oct. 28

RamsFootballFans.com248October 29, 2018 12:29AM