Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where Are They Now? - ex-Ram Roland Wiliams, TE

October 05, 2018 11:38AM
Ex-Ram Roland Williams enjoying life as Oaks Christian's Director of Football Operations
by Loren Ledin, Ventura County Star
Published 1:01 p.m. PT Oct. 2, 2018 | Updated 3:32 p.m. PT Oct. 3, 2018

There's nary a soul around as Roland Williams takes a seat on the bleachers inside the Oaks Christian School stadium.

It's a rare day off from practice for the Lions football team, school is in session on this afternoon, and Williams' beaming smile by itself is enough to fill up Thorson Stadium and Bill Redell Field.

"I think of where I've come from, what I'm now a part of and I know how lucky I am," he says. "No worries. It's all perspective. No matter what comes up and what needs to be taken care of, it's all about enjoying the opportunity I have now."

The kid who grew up on the rough streets of Rochester, New York, has savored rich experiences throughout his association with football. He's a Syracuse University graduate and former Orangeman, an eight-year NFL player and three-year St. Louis Ram who was the starting tight end on the offense familiarly known as "The Greatest Show on Turf."

Now he's got a unique job description in Ventura County. He's in his first season as Oaks Christian's Director of Football Operations and he considers the job a weighty challenge and endeavor that boils down to shaping futures.

"I'm a football purist," he said. "The sport can be an experience that influences your future. That's what it did for me. It gave me opportunities that I never even knew existed.

"That's how I see this job. It's a chance to give our kids the experience, teaching and coaching that shapes them not only as football players but as young men and future community leaders."

As a football player, Williams was a hulking presence and physical blocker who lent toughness to the Rams' Super Bowl XXXIV championship squad in 1999. He's a key figure on one of the most important plays in Rams lore.

Williams took out not one but two Tampa Bay blitzers on the Kurt Warner-to-Ricky Proehl touchdown pass that won the NFC Championship Game en route to the Super Bowl.

"Great, great memories," said Williams, who remains a ticket holder for the Rams, who are now in Los Angeles.

Now, at age 43, Williams is known for his sunny disposition and thoughtful decisions with the Lions' esteemed football program.

The job began with a challenge that, ultimately, would clear the way for this season's success and the Lions' 6-0 start.

Shortly after Williams took the job as Director of Football Operations, head coach Jim Benkert — coming off a CIF-SS Division 2 championship — tendered his resignation while citing conflicts with the school administration.

Within days, Williams opted to elevate assistant Charles Collins to the head coaching slot. The decision seemingly quelled the chaos within the program, with virtually all the key underclass players electing to stay at the school.

Williams said he kept all things transparent following Benkert's department.

"My door is always open," he said. "Anybody could come and see me if they had concerns. Really, I felt (Collins) was the ideal man for the job because of the way he cares about kids. He's got kids who are players. He knows how to relate. I think our players respected that, just like I respect our players.

"We had an incredible junior class last year that is now this year's seniors. They care so much about each other, and decided as a group that this was the best place for them."

Williams said his priorities totally line up with goals set up by Oaks Christian's administration. He says stressing good character is everything.

"Our program motto, for all our teams and our middle school team is the same: One team, one purpose," said Williams. "We want to teach lessons than can last the rest of their lives. We want to stress qualities that turn them into leaders. The way we look at it, playing football at Oaks Christian is an investment toward their futures."

He added:

"We have lots and lots of good players who are going on to play college. But we've also got guys who will play their last football in high school. What's most important to me and the school is that everyone goes on to become good people."

High school football in the here and now is not without obstacles. The number of student-athletes choosing to play the game has slipped across the state in recent years, and even a longtime powerhouse like Oaks Christian has felt the effects.

Williams made the call this year to cancel the freshman team's season amid safety concerns.

"We just didn't have enough linemen for the freshman team," he said. "It wouldn't have been safe to play."

Williams recognizes factors in declining numbers, including growing concerns over concussions and injuries. Still, he thinks the game remains on sound footing.

"The coaching is better and better and that's a reason why the game has never been safer. It remains a great game. It's a game I'm glad my kids want to play."

Williams is motivated as much by family as he is by school. He's a single father with three sons — Trustin, who plays on the Lions' sophomore team; Justice, who attends Oaks Christian Middle School; and Phoenix.

"They're everything to me," he said. "I want to give them all the things I didn't have when I was growing up. I will always be there for them."

Williams said he grew up among grim surroundings in Rochester defined by poverty, gangs and drugs. Through it all, he avoided falling toward the bad and stayed with the good.

The game of football became a life-changer. Williams was introduced to the sport by his father, a teen correctional officer, and football became the road to education and a career.

"Without it, I don't know where I would be," said Williams. "I got my education. I saw all the good possibilities. I'm forever grateful for everything I have."

Williams became a coach following his playing career, including a stint a year ago on Benkert's staff with the Lions. But football has directed Williams in a multitude of directions.

He's also an entrepreneur and celebrity speaker, with an emphasis on team building and performance. He's also shined as a television and radio sports analyst.

Williams sees his role at Oaks Christian in a business context. He says he's forged a strong relationship with head coach Collins.

"I'm the CEO and the GM (general manager)," he said. "I'm concerned with the big picture. Where we go from here in the years ahead. Charles is the head coach. He makes the calls on the day-to-day operation for the team.

"Together, we're strong. I feel good about where we are and where we go from here."

Loren Ledin is the Prep Editor for The Star. He can reached at loren.ledin@vcstar.com or 805-437-0285.

[www.vcstar.com]

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Where Are They Now? - ex-Ram Roland Wiliams, TE

MamaRAMa542October 05, 2018 11:38AM

Awesome!,

WhiteHorns216October 05, 2018 11:48AM

Met him a couple of times and....

roman18179October 05, 2018 11:56AM

Re: Met him a couple of times and....

MamaRAMa211October 05, 2018 12:04PM

It's a spectacle! nm

WhiteHorns174October 05, 2018 12:14PM

Re: It's a spectacle! nm

NorCalRamFan164October 05, 2018 01:11PM

Re: Met him a couple of times and....

CraigMatson146October 05, 2018 03:11PM

director of football operations at a high school??

21Dog169October 05, 2018 02:51PM