Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: A Couple Of Thoughts...

September 02, 2018 05:44PM
ramBRO
1) I always thought it was a dubious argument to suggest that an NFL team wouldn't/couldn't sign clearly talented players to big money deals due to them being "cash poor." I mean...it's an NFL team, right? But I suspect that this is the very reason why the Raiders ultimately traded Mack.

Oakland essentially offered Mack a "take it or leave it" extension back in February that was likely well below market value. He clearly left it and the Raiders knew they wouldn't be able to sign him. No need for further discussion.

2) There was a lot of talk on this board about playing hardball with a player under contract that could be subject to the franchise tag. Well, as other posters suggested, that's easier said than done. In reading McKenzie's comments, I believe the organization felt that there'd be a negative impact to the locker room by having an ongoing contract dispute with the team's best player. A player, who by all accounts, is the type of player any organization would want to have associated with them.

Knowing they couldn't sign Mack to a fair deal (and fearing a backlash in the locker room), the Raiders did him a solid by trading him.

3) So, right now, the Raiders will have at least 3 #1 picks over the next two drafts. Great. But what are their expectations with respect to these picks? I mean...do they hope that they select good but not great players? And what happens if they luck up and actually select one or two great players with those pics? If Carr is who they think he is, they'll likely only have them for four seasons before trading them away because they can't afford them? Or maybe a new CBA or stadium is supposed to address that?

Good post. I agree all the way around.

But I just want to drive home what "cash poor" means in the context of an NFL team. Just to make it extra clear in case someone on the board happens to not know this stuff.

Teams can cover player salaries easily under the cap because they get that money from league revenues. You can be the owner of a losing team without any capital to your name whatsoever, but make money off of league-wide shared revenues while paying all the players who are under the cap.

Where you need cash though is a different story. It's not just bonus money. It's guaranteed money too. League rules require teams to prove they already have the cash available to cover guaranteed years. If a contract has 50 M in guarantees, the team has to be able to go, see we already have that 50 M, it's right here. They use cash to guarantee the guarantee, so to speak.

That means that if the player has a huge bonus and a huge guaranteed amount, then completely independent of the cap, the team has to have that combined cash amount on hand when the contract is signed. Part of it goes to the player in the bonus, and part of it sits there like a hostage "proving" that the team can cover its future guaranteed amounts.

With a 40 M bonus and 87 M in guaranteed money, then, the Rams had to have 127 M in cash available the minute Donald signed his contract.

Kroenke can do that while Davis can't.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

GM McKenzie: 'Everybody in the organization wanted Khalil to be a Raider'

ramBRO309September 02, 2018 03:49PM

.........” we just didn’t want to pay him”

Rampage2K-145September 02, 2018 03:53PM

Or..."We didn't have the money to pay him."

ramBRO153September 02, 2018 03:55PM

Apparently not. Nm

stlramz91September 02, 2018 04:19PM

A Couple Of Thoughts...

ramBRO139September 02, 2018 04:24PM