Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Los Angeles Rams vs. Oakland Raiders Postgame Quotes - 8/18/18

August 19, 2018 03:14AM
Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Rams vs. Raiders Postgame – August 18, 2018

(On QB Sean Mannion’s performance)

“I thought he did a good job with some plays. I think, tough start a little bit, but I think the big play down the field to (WR) (KhaDarel) Hodge and then earlier on when he hit (WR) Mike Thomas off the play action on the deep in-breaking route – those were two big plays. Good throws, where longer developing play actions kind of let it develop. Made some nice accurate throws down the field – one in-break, one down the sideline and then kind of managed the game throughout. But, I think to go 10-for-16 definitely was an improvement and those two plays were two of the better plays that he made today.”

(On whether some starters will play in the third game)

“Yeah, I think that’s something we’re still going to talk about. We talked about it, let’s see how this game goes, how we get through it and then we’ll discuss that as a staff. But, I think you’ll expect to see some guys, but again, we haven’t made that full decision yet. But, looking forward to kind of looking at this tape, seeing how things look and then evaluating how we want to approach this week’s specific to the Houston game.”

(On whether starters would have played if it was not for the season opener against Oakland)

“I mean typically the way that you look at it, yeah, I mean that’s kind of what we’ve done in the past, but I think each year provides a new opportunity to do what we think is best for our team. I think certain specific situations dictate why we did what we did, but there was definitely an element of, ‘Because we play them in the opening week’ why we did that. I don’t know if that was the entire reason so, it’s tough to say just because that was the circumstance that we had.”

(On the possibility that QB Jared Goff and RB Todd Gurley II could not play during preseason)

“I would say there’s a possibility, but I think those guys both would tell you that they want to play. I think being able to listen to those guys, understand kind of where they’re coming from to get into a little bit of a rhythm, get out there, put some pads on where they can actually get tackled is something that we want to think about. And again, like we talk about, we’ll make those decisions as a staff. Certainly, our players’ opinions do have a big part of it in terms of kind of what they’re feeling and how we can put them in good spots ultimately to feel as good as possible for September 10.”

(On meeting up with Raiders Head Coach Jon Gruden before the game)

“Yeah, it was fun. I think everybody knows what a huge amount of respect I have for (Raiders Head Coach) Jon (Gruden) and how great he’s been to me over the course of my coaching career. It was a good opportunity to be able to do that today. It’s definitely something that’s exciting and certainly I think that September 10 date will be pretty special as well.”

(On if this game showed the amount of depth this team has)

“I think so. I think that’s what we’re trying to continue to establish, is depth - really on both sides of the football. See who those guys are that are going to be key contributors, God forbid if we have some of those injuries at those spots where there’s a little bit more kind of certainty in terms of who’s going to be your projected starters based on day one and things of that nature. But, I thought some guys flew around. I thought our defense was outstanding to start, to be able to play the way they did with that energy, that effort early on. I thought (Defensive Coordinator) Wade (Phillips) and the coaching staff on defense did a great job and to be able to get two turnovers I thought was key to being able to secure the win today.”

(On if he was able to pick up anything from the Raiders team)

“I think it’s tough to say. They were pretty regulated. Very similar in terms of the approach by both teams – very vanilla. I think there’s some key concepts that both teams will run offensively. Some situational things that you see that show up defensively in a (Raiders Defensive Coordinator) Paul Guenther led defense. But, for the most part it was pretty regulated and that’s kind of what we expected just based on the way we were approaching this on both sides.”

(On what he’s liked about T Joseph Noteboom these past couple games playing multiple positions on the line)

“Just that – his versatility. I think (Run Game Coordinator) Aaron Kromer has done a really good job of not necessarily limiting him in terms of just playing tackle. He can play on both the left and the right side of the line and then he’s also able to play inside at that guard position. He’s shown a lot of good, encouraging signs for us. Confident, smart, conscientious player and that’s really – it’s been a credit to (T) Joe (Noteboom), but also Aaron Kromer’s leadership.”

(On WR KhaDarel Hodge’s catch in the second quarter)

“Yeah, I think it was an incredible play. Really, if you look at the last couple weeks, somebody that’s been consistently showing up in terms of making plays, it’s been (WR) KhaDarel Hodge. You see, that’s a big-time play down the field where he’s got a guy draped all over him. It was going to draw a ‘PI’ (pass interference), but he ends up coming down with it. Then, last week, you look at the touchdown catch that he makes. He’s a guy that’s consistently showing up. Real credit to him and to (Wide Receivers Coach) Eric Yarber. You look at it where he came in, we worked him out at the beginning of training camp – he wasn’t with us this whole offseason. For him to continue to take these steps in the right directions and then being able to demonstrate that play-making ability has been something that you definitely can’t help but notice and it’s been good to see.”

(On if another player will replace G Jamon Brown with the first team next week)

“It’s a good question. I think that’s going to be specific to our approach as far as exactly what we decide to do in terms of this game, but we’ve definitely done a good job. (Run Game Coordinator Aaron) Kromer’s done a really good job of being able to kind of get some different guys some reps with that first unit at that right guard spot. (G) Jamon’s (Brown) still taking a handful of them as well knowing that we’re going to get him back in that third week. But, those are kind of things that we’ve kind of been thinking about for a long time. That’s why that kind of versatility where guys have the ability to play more than one spot is really important so that you don’t have to make too many changes if you are going to fill that spot from maybe somebody other than – whether it’s a younger player, whether it’s the (C) Austin Blythe’s of the world. I think that situation will naturally sort itself out.”

(On if he needs two more preseason games to get the team ready for the regular season)

“Well, I think we need a lot of work in terms of what we get done in practice. The thing that we’ve always talked about that you have a tough time managing is, you don’t ever take for granted the work in being able to play in these live game situations and what that does for your team. But, it’s that balance of, ‘Okay, getting that work at the risk of if somebody gets rolled up in a game that’s really not going to count, how do you really measure that?’ I think that’s where you’ve kind of got to take each individual situation and figure out what’s best for our team, but certainly we’ve got a lot of work to do until we’re ready to roll for that September 10 date. That’s what we do know for sure.”

Rams Quarterback Sean Mannion – Rams vs. Raiders Postgame – August 18, 2018

(On what he thought the Raiders did differently in the first versus second half that enabled them to progress)

“I don’t think it was anything necessarily. I just think we just did a good job executing, it was crisp execution. I think anytime you can do long extended drives in the preseason, which I think we had maybe two drives that were 10 or more plays, that’s what you want. It shows you’re executing well on first and second downs, a couple third-down conversions. I think that was a really good sign for us. That was what we wanted to do today.”

(On if he felt like he improved since last week’s performance)

“I felt good. I think going back and looking at the tape of the Baltimore game, obviously not the performance you want, but also don’t think it was all bad. There was a couple of balls bad at the line, some things that are a little bit out of your control on offense. The whole team did a great job of just looking to improve, and there’s certainly ways for me to improve. Like I said, I just felt like it was efficient. I didn’t think there were any balls that I forced or any balls that I had open and missed. I think it was an efficient day for the offense as a whole.”

(On his completion to WR Mike Thomas)

“It was great. We had an efficient run on first down, I think it was like second-and-five or second-and-six. (Pass Game Coordinator) Shane (Waldron) kind of said if we’re going to do a first-down run here we’re going to dial for run-action, and that’s exactly what happened. (WR) Mike (Thomas) ran a great route, did a great job winning on his route and great protection. Anytime you get one of those explosive passes, really you get into a rhythm pretty easily.”

(On the pass to WR KhaDarel Hodge)

“(WR) KhaDarel (Hodge) has been doing great. He’s been making a ton of plays, really through camp. Last week he caught a TD in the preseason. KhaDarel has been awesome. He knows where to be on every play. That was a situation where we got the right look to take a shot. I just tried to put some air under it, give him a chance and he went up and made a great play.”

(On how he feels about his progress and if he feels like he’s ready to start a regular season game if he needed to)

“Yes, absolutely. I think the preseason is a great chance for everybody to get live reps and real game action. I think our coaches do such a great job of even in practice, whether it’s situational work or a competitive period against the defense. Really making it as close to a game as you can without it being a real thing. I absolutely feel comfortable going into a game if need be. I think that’s a credit to (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) and the whole staff for giving me opportunities in the preseason, and then also creating those situations at practice as well.”

Rams OLB Samson Ebukam – Rams-Raiders Postgame Availability – August 18, 2018

(On if he felt the pass rush today was more this team’s style)

“Yeah, I’m one of those guys that just keeps going and going so I feel like if I would’ve kept playing that second half definitely would have been over and I definitely would have hit that quarterback a lot more because I had QB hurries but I just have to get there faster.”

(On why he was still out there during the preseason given he is listed as a starter)

“Because I have something to prove to the coaches. Because we lost a key factor in (former OLcool smiley Robert Quinn and (former OLB Connor Barwin) ‘CB’ last year, so we’re all just trying to earn our spots and I’m trying to prove something to the coaches.”

(On how much it helps to see more plays at this point in his career)

“It feels awesome. It’s just more experience for me and it’s just going to help me out for when the regular season gets here because we’re going to put it together.”

(On how close these reps in preseason look like what he saw last year)

“I mean it’s definitely different because it’s not their starters that I’m going up against. I just have to show the coaches what I can do and gain more trust from them so that in the regular season they can just put me on the field and I can just go out there.”

(On if he feels pressure replacing two guys that were significant)

“No, not really because the coaches don’t really put any pressure on anybody. They just want you to do your best and show out on film just so that when regular season gets here they know who to trust.”

(On what it’s like to be in a position group with so many rotating guys)

“It’s pretty awesome. It keeps you on your toes because you always want to do good. You can see today I was out for one play and (DL Justin) Lawler came in and made a great sack-fumble. It’s that close of a competition. Everybody is always trying to put their best foot forward.”

Rams Wide Receiver KhaDarel Hodge – Rams vs. Raiders Postgame – August 18, 2018

(On the play where he made a 47-yard catch)

“Really, I just looked it in and I tried to stack them and I just did what I usually do, what I’m coached to do – use my fundamentals – made a big play and I just thank God for it.”

(On having two big plays in two consecutive weeks)

“Oh yeah, it’s pretty exciting. I feel pretty good about it, but I’m not going to get comfortable or anything – still go out there and try to play ball every week.”

(On where he thinks he is compared to where he started with the Rams)

“I’m not even sure. I’m not even trying to keep up with it. I know I’m just going to try to push myself everyday to be the best me. So, if I end up at the top, then I end up at the top. If I don’t, then I’m going to continue to work.”

(On if he thinks he made an impression)

“I think I’ve made some progress towards the depth chart, but I’m not thinking about it. I let the coaches make a decision.”

(On battling against the Rams defense and how he feels it makes him a better player)

“We have, I think, we have the best defense in the league, anyway. So, we practice against the best defense every day. So, in the game it’s just practice basically. It’s not overwhelming or anything.”

(On what the call was and what he was thinking during the long pass play)

“It was basically a go-route. I know I had the win. I’ve seen the safety in the middle, so I knew (Qcool smiley Sean (Mannion) would come to me. So, I just dug out and I’d seen the ball in the air – and at that point it’s just having the fundamentals. I didn’t get ahead of myself and made a big play.”

(On if he feels like he’s making an impression as an undrafted free agent)

“Yeah, I think I am. Well, I don’t let it get – I think I am and I just thank the Lord. I just thank God for what he’s blessing me with talent wise and coach wise. I’ve been in these situations before where I’ve had to come from the bottom and stuff. So, this is nothing new to me.”

(On what it says about all the players around that can come from a small school, undrafted and play well)

“My mindset is that – I’m not being cocky or anything – but, my mindset is that I can be the best. I can be better than anybody. I’m sure that’s everybody’s mindset, but I am surrounded by a bunch of great players in this locker room and they’re pretty good leaders. They show me and tell me about the whereabouts and what I need to do and how I need to do it to last in this league.”

Rams Running Back John Kelly – Rams vs. Raiders Postgame – August 18, 2018

(On how important it is for him to prove what he is capable of doing after being drafted in the sixth round)

“It really didn’t matter to me as far as the whole draft process. I was more just eager to figure out what team I was going to be on and getting drafted by this organization, they gave me a tremendous opportunity to get out there and compete on offense, special teams. So, I was blessed to just have the opportunity to get out on the field today and I got a little bit more time than last week. So, all those opportunities and reps were definitely valuable. So, I just try to go out there and take advantage of it.”

(On having 18 carries)

“Oh, I had 18 of them? I didn’t even know that. It was good. I was just happy to get the snaps, be out there to get the clicking with my teammates and everybody. Just getting a good feel for the offense with a lot of the younger guys that were out there with me. So, I thought it was pretty good.”

(On if he was getting tired at all)

“No, we’ve got a great conditioning staff here – great strength staff. So, they prepared us for situations like this.”

(On the touchdown run looking like he fumbled the ball)

“Yeah, I got a fumble recovery. So, I was counting stats – I was trying to pad the stats.”

(On 4th & 2 and the offense going for it)

“We had to have it. So, whatever I had to do to get in that end zone, that’s what I was going to do. So, tried to go over the top of the guy, he kind of put his helmet on the ball and he helped me out because I got a fumble recovery. Then I got an opportunity to get in there and celebrate with my teammates. I told them we were going to roll the dice, so it was a gambling thing and we literally did because I almost didn’t get it in there. But, that doesn’t even matter anymore because we got the seven points.”

(On if it feels like a test when they give him those goal line carries)

“Oh yeah, definitely. We knew we’ve got to have it. In the running back room, if it’s third and short – any of that, any of those situations – it’s just got-to-have-it plays. So, I was glad that I was able to get in the end zone for us.”

Raiders Head Coach Jon Gruden – Rams – Raiders Postgame Availability – August 18, 2018

(Opening remarks)

“So that was a strange second preseason game. We sat down a lot of players obviously, as did the Rams, and used this as an evaluation for a lot of backup players, young players. We can’t wait to see the film. I’ll answer any questions that I can.”

(On what he thought of RB Chris Warren III)

“He’s a good back, isn’t he? I mean, he’s run for almost 200 yards in two weeks. And I know he’s not playing against the regulars but he’s not playing with the regulars either. He’s a big powerful back that’s taking care of the ball. He’s got to get better without the football - that’s what it’s all about with him. We know he can run, we know he’s powerful and fast and elusive, but he’s got to get a lot better without the football to be an NFL back.”

(On CB Gareon Conley)

“It was good, it was great. Having him in there for eight or nine plays, I think he had a PBU. He was involved in a tackle and it’s good to get his boat back in the water. We need him.”

(On his strategy for the two-point conversion plays)

“Well, the first two-point play we had both guys open, we fumbled the snap. And then the last two-point play, I changed my mind. I was going throw it, then I wanted to give (Rcool smiley Chris Warren a look, and I don’t think we blocked the point of attack very well but I don’t second guess that. I wish it would’ve worked better.”

(On if RB Chris Warren III had a good game)

“He did, yes he did. I wanted to try to put him in a position to get us a lead and unfortunately I didn’t call the right play.”

(On if he was trying to avoid overtime)

“I was going to do everything humanly possible to avoid overtime, yes.”

(On what it’s like to coach against his friend, Rams Head Coach Sean McVay)

“It’s great. It’s been a long relationship between our two families but when a game starts, we’re really focused, that’s for sure.”

(On if this was as extreme as it could get in terms of keeping a preseason game ‘vanilla’)

“I’ve never been in a preseason game like this. This is tough in our first training camp as a football team to have our second opponent up against a team we open up with. I don’t know in history of the NFL, if that’s ever happened. I’m not going sit up here and cry about it because it’s the same for them as it is us. But in our first year of operation here, we didn’t want to play our starters, we didn’t want them to hear our audibles and hand signals, and I don’t think they wanted us to get a feel for them either. So, it was a strange week of practice and it was a strange ballgame from that regard.”

(On what he thought of the first half)

“I liked what our defense did. I thought our defense played very well. I thought the first play of the game pretty much summed up the offense. You know, you jerk a center 15 yards over your quarterback’s head, you have two holding calls, one on first-and-10, one on second-and-one - it’s ridiculous. We don’t pass protect in the two-minute drill, and our quarterbacks put the ball in the ground with carelessness. It wasn’t good enough and it was flat-out embarrassing, honestly.”

(On the atmosphere of the game with a large number of Raiders fans in the crowd)

“It was awesome being back here. If you understand the Raiders, they have a history here, a championship history here. There’s still a lot of fans that remember those teams and rightfully so. We’re going to enjoy their company for a couple more hours here. We appreciate their support, and hopefully in a couple weeks we’ll give them a much better ballgame.”

(On if he was happy with the way both quarterbacks were able to bounce back in the second half)

“I don’t know. I think (WR) Grif Whalen made a great one handed catch for the touchdown. I thought (Qcool smiley EJ (Manuel) did some good things. I thought (Qcool smiley Connor (Cook) did a couple good things. But, you know, fumbling the snap in the two-minute drill, turning the football over - those are things you can’t do as a backup quarterback. You got to come in and prove you can play mistake-free football in the short-term. And so far we have, I think, fumbled two snaps in two weeks inside the five(-yard line), and it troubles me greatly. But we’ll look at the film and see. I mean, a lot of backup lineman, backup receivers, and backup running backs - and when you have a backup quarterback that hasn’t had all the work either it’s a very tough day at the office.”

(On CB Shareece Wright having physical plays in coverage in his former college stadium)

“He played well. He came out of the game, he tweaked his hamstring but he played 50 plays last week against the Lions. He’s a veteran player trying to make this team. He can play the nickel, he can play outside, he can play on special teams. He and Frostee Rucker had a great run here in this Coliseum and they were talking about it quite a bit last night.”

(On if he has an update on K Eddy Pineiro)

“He tweaked his groin and we left him at home to get some additional treatment.”

(On what he thinks about the penalties given to LB Shilique Calhoun)

“Penalties are not going to be accepted here. We had one on (No.) 95, we had another one roughing the passer. We’ll take a look at the tape. We had a cornerback pick up a receiver and slam him to the turf. We’ve got to clean up the penalties, and that’s what we’re going to do.”

Raiders Quarterback EJ Manuel – Rams vs. Raiders Postgame – August 18, 2018

(On today’s performance)

“We can be much better, I know on my part I need to have better ball security, getting around the pocket. Had got to relaxed with ball in my left hand and it slipped out, obviously don’t want to turn the ball over especially being down in their territory. There was just some throws, but you know that’s what happens in games. Besides that, I would just say I know things can be better I know I can be better.”

(On making plays in the first half)

“We had some plays there, we had a drop. There was a deep-seam ball early in the first half, as far as I was in. But we just need to clean it up, you know preseason games are tough, these is not really game planning but obviously still want to put your best effort forward especially when your competing for a position. But there are some good things to take away from this.”

(On RB Chris Warren III’s game)

“Chris is doing a great job, think coaches got on him early in camp, but I think it only helps him. I feel like he is one of those guys you get a little bit kind of pushes him. So it’s been great, obviously, to see come alive, he played great the first week, but honestly he has been doing that the past couple of weeks in practice.”

Raiders Quarterback Connor Cook – Rams-Raiders Postgame Availability – August 18, 2018

(On if he thought his fumble in the first quarter was a forward pass)

“I have not seen the replay yet. I thought it was a pass. I thought I heard a whistle. Obviously, if I didn’t hear a whistle or if I thought it was a fumble, I would have been tackling that guy or trying to rip the ball out, so that was disappointing.”

(On if it is hard for the offense to establish a rhythm with so many substitutions)

“Somewhat, but it’s our job to get into a rhythm. You can’t make excuses, you can’t do anything. It’s our job to get the guys going, to set the tone in the huddle, and to get the offense into a groove. It’s our job to do that.”

(On RB Chris Warren’s performance)

“Yeah, I mean Chris is just a powerful back – strong, carries the rock very well, and everyone’s real happy with how he’s playing.”

(On if the Raider fans made today feel like a home game)

“Oh yeah, anywhere we travel, Raider Nation is always there. It doesn’t matter if it’s here in L.A. I remember Tennessee, when we opened up with Tennessee last year – Raider Nation travels, so we appreciate their support as well.”

Raiders Running Back Chris Warren III – Rams vs Raiders Postgame – August 18, 2018

(On his approach heading into the game)

“It’s about showing that I can play in the league. Making the most of my opportunities. I didn’t expect to play as much as I did, I knew I was going to play more than I did last week.”

(On his pre-snap reads in pass protection)

“Mostly just the reads. You’re supposed to read from the ‘Y’ in. Just making sure that I’m not biting on a fake or a delayed blitz and getting out into my route. Just quicker recognition.”

(On the Raiders fans)

“It was cool. It reminded me a lot of the Texas-OU game in Dallas. Half the stadium is for one team and half the stadium is the other. That’s what it felt like today. I really appreciate the support. I know there’s a lot of Raider fans still in LA. It was really good. It just felt jubilant to be out here.”

(On if he felt stronger as the game went on)

“I’m fine, I’m just tired. That’s what happens when you play a full game. I’m not sore or anything I just have to get ready to look at the film and get back on my studying.”

(On whether or not he proved himself today)

“Not yet, we’re still in preseason. Coaches aren’t showing their full hands. I believe that I’m showing that I’m capable but I don’t believe I’ve proved anything yet. I still need to go back out there and prove some more stuff.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPTS: Los Angeles Rams vs. Oakland Raiders Postgame Quotes - 8/18/18

RamsFootballFans.com231August 19, 2018 03:14AM