Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Goff says that McVay is putting in ‘a lot more’ in Rams playbook for 2018...

August 06, 2018 07:25AM
Jared Goff says Sean McVay is putting 'a lot more' in Rams playbook for 2018

Cameron DaSilva

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

With an offensive mind like Sean McVay at the helm, the Los Angeles Rams’ playbook is likely pretty deep. The 32-year-old coach likes to get creative with his play calls and it reflects in the Rams’ performance on the field, leading the NFL in scoring last season.

Entering Year 2, however, the list of plays in the Rams’ repertoire is growing. That doesn’t bode well for opposing defenses tasked with stopping the likes of Jared Goff, Todd Gurley, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and Brandin Cooks, among others.

Goff, for one, told Pete Prisco of CBS Sports that McVay is definitely adding to the playbook.

“A lot more,” Goff said. “We’ve just evolved. We know teams have some tape on us and have an idea what we like to do. There is stuff we’ve done to evolve, creatively, that Sean’s put in to get better.”

McVay, like Goff, is undoubtedly more comfortable in Los Angeles now than he was this time last year. He’s familiar with the personnel, has guys he wants on the field and knows the strengths – as well as the weaknesses – of the team.

That bodes well for everyone on the team as McVay continues to push the offense in the direction he wants to push it.

“I can’t put a percentage on it (how much more),” McVay said. “I will just say it’s evolved a little bit. Going back to last year at this time, we were figuring out what we wanted and how we wanted to operate. We had to find out what personnel groupings were going to be our main ones. Now we have a little familiarity with our players. We have a better direction on how we want to operate.”

It’s hard to imagine how much better the Rams can get on offense this season after putting on such a show in 2017, but the addition of Brandin Cooks certainly opens the door for improvement. Sammy Watkins was a big disappointment as the No. 1 receiver, but Cooks’ skill set seems to fit what the Rams want to do much better.

“I think it’s just about being a productive receiver. Doing the little things the right way, being a threat that can kind of really challenge people down the field, but also intermediate and underneath,” McVay said recently. “Like you’ve heard us say over and over, he’s not really limited in any way that we can utilize him. But, I think he does a really nice job of kind of fitting into that ‘X’ role in terms of what we’re looking for from that spot.”

The sky is the limit for this team with McVay leading the way.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Goff says that McVay is putting in ‘a lot more’ in Rams playbook for 2018...

Rams43238August 06, 2018 07:25AM

highest scoring team in NFL and that was with training wheels

Rampage2K-96August 06, 2018 08:20AM

and more experience: Goff, Everett and Kupp

ferragamo7993August 06, 2018 10:00AM

Re: YIP....I agree....I think RB John Kelly will be on final roster.

oldschoolramfan87August 06, 2018 04:12PM