Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Offensive Line Breakdown….Who Will Make the Final 53?

June 02, 2018 07:39AM

Still have a few more OTA’s then Mandatory Mini Camp prior to Training camp, however, presently the Los Angeles Rams have a total of 15 Offensive Linemen in Camp and on September Morn barring injury of course, I look for the Rams to keep 9 or in fact, 10 as the cuts will be tough with the draft upgrades.

The Starters:

LT…Andrew Whitworth…The linchpin to the OL and some will debate that Whitworth was less effective towards the end of the season including the playoff game against the Falcons, but there is no debating that Whit is a major locker room presence and will be look upon to assist some of the draft class in their transition into the NFL.

LG…Rodger Saffold….IMO, it was Saffold’s best year under Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer as Saffold was rock solid week in and week out. Playing in between established pros like Whitworth & Sullivan helped as Saffold did not have to cover for anyone and one will surmise is a contract extension in his future?

C…John Sullivan…Loved Sully all last year and there were a couple of games many of us were concerned about Sullivan getting injured, but Big John was always ready the following week. Sullivan really knows the offense, which assisted Goff greatly and I’m glad the Notre Dame alum is back and can teach new Center Brian Allen a few things about what it takes to be a professional.

RG…Jamon Brown….Some were tough on Brown, but I felt once he settled in at RG, he improved greatly week over week and created many holes for TGIII. Brown also improved in his pass protection and actually graded out well in the playoff game against the Falcons.

RT…Rob Havenstein…Big Rob came back after being dinged up in 2016 to play very solid at RT. Havenstein will always have us holding our breath against the speed rushers (The Texan Game) but he rallies to always just get enough of the guy to give Goff the opportunity to make a play and is one of the better run blockers on this team, really can create some gaps for the running backs and that was his claim to fame at Wisconsin.

The Draft Class:

LT…Joseph Noteboom….The more I read about Noteboom the more I liked, granted a third round pick, so there are going to be question marks, however, Noteboom is very athletic and under the tutelage of Aaron Kromer should be ready to contribute sooner rather than later. Also an Academic all American so all of us should not have to worry about Noteboom picking up the scheme and stunts that are run by the defense.

C…Brian Allen….This was the surprise pick of the draft for me as I knew the Rams might draft a Center, just did not realize Brian Allen was on their radar. Allen a leader that backs down to no one and has a wrestling background that seems to be preferred by OL Coach Aaron Kromer because of leverage combined with quick hands and feet to aid at the point of attack. Allen not a big as Sullivan, but was essential in the ground attack for the Spartans of Michigan State.

OG….Jamil Demby….One of my favorite picks, but I might be a tad biased because I work with several colleagues that played at the University of Maine and being a connect a dots guy with the addition of Liam Cohen to the coaching staff as he was the OC at Maine, felt good that Demby was headed to Southern California. Anyway big kid that played LT for the Black Bears and will transition to Guard and reminds me of Saffold, but will have to get stronger at the next level, but I feel really good about Demby making the team and being a future starter for many years to come.

First Man Up:

C/G...Austin Blythe…A real surprise to me last season as he was released by the Indianapolis Colts (who really need offensive linemen) and I did not expect him to make the team, but from the start of preseason, Blythe showcased the ability to play Center & Guard without much drop-off. Blythe another former wrestler that is very quick off the ball will have challenges again making the squad with the addition of Allen and the bigger Jake Eldrenkamp, but Blythe was very valuable last season and I don’t see things changing in 2018 for the former Hawkeye.

The Rest:

LT/RT…Cornelius Lucas….Did not expect much from the big man from Kansas State, but he caught my eye against the 49ers in the final game of the year as he played an excellent RT not allowing any pressures whatsoever. Lucas will be challenged as he will have an opportunity to play both positions come Training Camp, but he has the size that OL Coach Aaron Kromer covets in his tackles and one would surmise the Rams want to keep two tackles on the final 53 as they did all of last season.

LT/RT….Darrell Williams…Williams reminds me of the girl who is very attractive, but always not dating anyone. Williams has had his moments in preseason over the years and is still young at 24, however, against the San Francisco 49ers in the last game of the year was just awful and poor Sean Mannion could hardly get set before he was harassed by Williams’s look out blocks. Williams seems to be a better LT than RT and I knew he had more talent than Pace Murphy, but with the ability of Lucas to play RT and the addition of Noteboom I expect Williams to be given his walking papers on cut down day.

C/G….Jake Eldrenkamp….I loved this signing last season and much was written that the Rams almost drafted the former Huskie, however, Eldrenkamp was outplayed by Austin Blythe last preseason and released by the Rams and then added later to the practice squad for depth along the interior. There is much to like about Jake from State Farm as he has great size at 6’5 305 and very smart, but unless he can showcase the ability to be quick off the ball and create some gaps, Eldrenkamp could be on the outside looking in once again.

C/G…Aaron Neary….Another Offensive Lineman that IMHO, was just plain awful against the 49ers and besides Williams failing miserably at left tackle, the pressure up the middle in that game was unacceptable and much of that fell at the hands of Neary. The Rams claimed Neary from the Eagles and his only body of work was against San Francisco, but with the addition of Brian Allen to me that showcases the Rams came away as impressed as I was from the former Eastern Washington product.

LT/RT…Michael Dunn…IMHO, the Rams added Dunn before the start of the offseason because they only had only two tackles under contract at the time in Whitworth and Havenstein and needed somebody before they resigned Lucas and Williams, who could have signed elsewhere. In preseason Dunn looked overmatched whether he was at Left Tackle or Right Tackle and his surname underscores his opportunity to make this football team.

OG…Jeremiah Kolone…The only UDRFA added to the Offensive Line from San Jose State at 6’3 316lbs defiantly has the size, but will he get a chance? You never know, however if the former Spartan can make the practice squad, that would be an accomplishment.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Offensive Line Breakdown….Who Will Make the Final 53?

den-the-coach560June 02, 2018 07:39AM

Re: Offensive Line Breakdown….Who Will Make the Final 53?

Rams43233June 02, 2018 08:27AM

bigjimram21278June 02, 2018 10:47AM

oldmanram214June 03, 2018 03:27AM

LMU93230June 02, 2018 08:35AM