Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

J Johnson: Sam Shields is “probably the fastest player I’ve ever seen”...

May 23, 2018 06:54AM
John Johnson: Sam Shields is 'probably the fastest player I've ever seen'
Cameron DaSilva

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

After picking off the sixth-most passes in the NFL last season, the Los Angeles Rams set out to revamp their secondary this offseason. With Trumaine Johnson hitting free agency, Kayvon Webster coming off of a torn Achilles and Nickell Robey-Coleman’s contract expiring, the Rams knew there would likely be some turnover at cornerback.

Rather than regressing at the position, the Rams actually improved thanks to a pair of trades and an underrated free agent signing. Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib have grabbed most of the attention – and rightfully so – but Sam Shields could have an impact this season, too.

Second-year safety John Johnson had some high praise for Talib and Shields, the latter of whom hasn’t played an NFL game since Week 1 of 2016.

“They have so much experience, you could just tell. Aqib, he’s been in the league, I think this is his 11th year. he just knows everything,” Johnson said. “He’s like a second coach on the field – second defensive coordinator on the field, especially because he knows Wade [Phillips]. Marcus Peters, he brings that ball mentality. He’s a turnover machine, so I’m gonna try to keep up with him. Sam Shields, he’s probably the fastest player I’ve ever seen on the field. And he’s in Year 10ish, too. So it’s crazy, those guys are doing a lot for us.”

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
When healthy and in his prime, Shields was one of the fastest players in the NFL. At his pro day in 2010, he ran a 4.30 40-yard dash, but during his time at Miami, he reportedly ran a 4.26. He’s surely lost some of that speed at the age of 30, but according to Johnson, he’s still one of the fastest players out there.

Talib is the eldest of the group at 32 years old, but he was just voted the 53rd-best player in the NFL by his peers, so clearly he’s still thought of highly around the league. The trio of Shields, Talib and Peters – as well as Robey-Coleman – gives the Rams one of the best cornerback groups in the NFL. And that’s without even mentioning the safety tandem of Johnson and Lamarcus Joyner.

Los Angeles is going to be a no-fly zone this season.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

J Johnson: Sam Shields is “probably the fastest player I’ve ever seen”...

Rams43781May 23, 2018 06:54AM

I love having true speed in the secondary

OzRam377May 23, 2018 08:23AM

I keep forgetting they signed Shields...

LMU93301May 23, 2018 09:21AM

Re: Exactly..........

oldschoolramfan269May 24, 2018 05:03AM

yep instant starter if someone gets hurt

ferragamo79219May 24, 2018 02:58PM

Re: J Johnson: Sam Shields is “probably the fastest player I’ve ever seen”...

CraigMatson242May 24, 2018 08:17AM