Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Rams can restock draft picks if they play good chess.

April 04, 2018 08:31AM
But it won't be easy. And, as always, they'll need willing partners -- preferably guys who don't play great chess.

An example: If they had signed Suh for two years, instead of one, they could have traded him after this season for a pick or two. Depending upon how well he plays in 2018, I'm guessing a 2nd would have been more than possible. So if the Rams want to win now, and believe you trade away your early picks to do so, they can make up for this via FA signings. It's a gamble, of course, and it means you have to catch the wave at the right time and jump off before you smack into the rocks, but it can be done. It just can't be done on one-year deals.

Another way I'd do it: Trade those late picks for next year's picks. Again, you need a willing trade partner, but you can usually move down a round, even two, when you give up this year's for next year's picks. Work this cleverly enough, and you can get back some of those lost early rounds. Do it year by year, and you can optimize your choices.

A third way is a kind of reverse-George Allen, and it also involves the wave-thing. Trade your vets for picks while they still have "value" for other teams, if you see them in a certain stage of "decline." This one is trickier than dumping newly acquired FAs, because you're risking things like team-chemistry, fan-backlash, and so on. So it's best if you leave core players alone. I'm for this strategy, if you don't hurt the locker-room in the process. Team comes first, IMO.

Overall, I agree with a lot of things so many are saying about recent moves: Where's the fire? But this all could still work out, despite our puzzlement, etc.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The Rams can restock draft picks if they play good chess.

Billy_T282April 04, 2018 08:31AM