Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I think the knucklehead factor is vastly overplayed

March 30, 2018 03:39AM
Look; I'm a big character guy, too. For instance, I'd be really disappointed if the Rams acquired a true self-centered, uncivil, nut ball like OBJ.

But let's look at the 3 players that are being tagged with the knucklehead label.

Talib. Yes, he's had his moments in the past. But if one can't see his tremendous maturity over the past few seasons, then one isn't looking or listening. His teammates like him and describe him as a locker room leader. Yes Talib accidentally shot himself in the leg. He wasn't robbing a bank; he got careless playing around with a gun and also got very lucky. He'll be no trouble.

Peters. What is he really accused of? I've heard nothing more than TWO things (and I'm ready to be informed of others that I may have missed). 1) He got into a yelling match with an assistant coach. 2) He threw a yellow flag into the stands and walked off the field.

Yelling at a coach? Ever watch Tom Brady on the sideline? Dez Bryant? Be serious. That is common in the NFL. Peters explained the yellow flag thing, and began by taking full responsibility for losing his cool. Bottom line: after losing his cool and throwing the flag into the stands, he was again flagged (unsportsmanlike) and assumed he was ejected from the game. So he headed for the locker room. He was wrong; he hadn't been ejected. He was in the locker room, pads off, when someone came in and wanted to know what the heck he was doing; he told the person he had been ejected; the person said no he hadn't; and so he put the pads back on and ran back to the bench. Stupid? Immature? No excuse? You bet. But.....that is hardly a hanging offense.

I truly believe that his being sent off to the Rams had much to do with the anthem protest in conjunction with a personality clash. I also think that Peters DID have personality clashes with Reid and maybe an assistant or two, and indeed he's probably a smart ass and a handful to handle and still has too much "hood" in him. All organizations have a personality. The Chiefs are a mid-west team with a low key mid-west personality. Peters flat doesn't fit that.

Might Peters be SOME bother? Sure. But I think Snead and McVay are thick skinned and young enough and hip enough to not only put up with some off the wall individualism, but know how to keep some things from escalating in the first place because they more identify with him than Hunt or Reid ever could. Stan will stay aloof from the whole thing. But this kid was never arrested while in the NFL; no drugs. No DUIs. No hitting his girlfriend. The worst he seems to have done with the Chiefs was get in a shouting match with a coach and throw a ref's flag into the stands (pretty funny, really). But it also shows that he indeed has trouble with authority.

Suh. Knucklehead? Hardly. A very intelligent man, and a really football smart player. Early on he did have a problem with his intensity overcoming him. Seems to have it under better control now (like Incognito). No trouble at all off the field. But, apparently he can be sullen and moody. Not a party-er or a particularly gregarious guy. Serious. I don't think he had much respect for the Miami coaching staff and was tired of losing and he wore that on his sleeve. Miami didn't let him go because he was a problem; they let him go because he was going to cost them a fortune from here on out and they know they are a long way from being a playoff team. So, they let their absolute best offensive player go (Jarvis Landry) and their absolute best defensive player go (Suh) as cap casualtes so they could retool in Gase's image.

Bottom line: Phillips is known for having strong personalty alpha dogs on his D's and handling them so very well. McVay is Mr. 21st century hip, he identifies with the players' generation, he is all about relationships, and yet as the players tell you don't let looks deceive you. They get some serious ass-kicking when things don't go right in practice. BUT....above all McVay never makes it personal, never challenges their manhood or does other things that especially to many of the black players is a sign of disrespect, and he remains positive. He doesn't run his team in an authoritarian pseudo military style. He does things more as a collaboration, which typifies the Millennial mindset.

Is this going to work? No one can say for sure. But I'd put large money that it will, even though there could be a minor hiccup or two along the way.
Has this improved the team? Of course!! We just acquired 2 of the top 3 or 4 best cover corners in the NFL. The exact TYPE that Wade needs for his D. And we acquired a future HOF DT who is at the end of his prime, but has not yet declined. He's only an 8 year vet; not a gray beard. He has stayed healthy, motivated, and is an absolute beast. As so many former Dline guys, Oline guys, coaches and GMs have said: how is an offense going to handle this? Both Rams DT's require double teams, and yet that is nigh to impossible to do. Suh is a wonderful run stuffer but with very good pass rush. Donald is an amazing interior pass rusher and play disruptor who can be stout at the point of attack if he's not trying to penetrate.

What team has the Guards and Center that can stand up to these two? Besides, on passing downs the absolute worst thing for a QB is immediate pressure in his face. And man, whoever the Rams face is going to have to deal with that a lot. And then they better get off an accurate pass under duress or it's going to get intercepted by maybe the best secondary in the league.

This D is going to be something to watch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2018 03:41AM by RockRam.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Not convinced the talent we added will translate into a better team next year.

BeachBoy516March 29, 2018 08:29PM

Re: Depends

Speedball89166March 29, 2018 09:53PM

One could say that about every FA signing or new player added...

SunTzu_vs_Camus279March 30, 2018 12:16AM

I wonder...

NewMexicoRam132March 30, 2018 02:39AM

I think the knucklehead factor is vastly overplayed

RockRam201March 30, 2018 03:39AM

oops

RamUK166March 30, 2018 05:14AM

Re: I think the knucklehead factor is vastly overplayed

Rams43135March 30, 2018 07:46AM

Careful with the terminology

RamUK140March 30, 2018 08:12AM

Re: I think the knucklehead factor is vastly overplayed

BeachBoy113March 30, 2018 01:28PM

I think the knucklehead factor is overblow

RamUK170March 30, 2018 05:13AM

Re: Not convinced the talent we added will translate into a better team next year.

David Deacon136March 30, 2018 05:19AM

Have to agree with this. Remember the Snyder Redskins teams?

Ramgator178March 30, 2018 07:22AM

Re: No worries on Talib and Suh, and mostly on Peters, too

Steve141March 30, 2018 10:42AM

Re: Have to agree with this. Remember the Snyder Redskins teams?

David Deacon265March 30, 2018 12:04PM

click bait

Rampage2K-167March 30, 2018 08:19AM

Rams were 19th ranked defense last year

ferragamo79133March 30, 2018 09:24AM

yes except

zn132March 30, 2018 10:39AM

Re: By one metric, yes...

dzrams140March 30, 2018 11:00AM

Re: I understand

Speed_Kills144March 30, 2018 01:55PM

I think this defense...