Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: very good early offseason for the Rams

March 20, 2018 03:39AM
LMU93
We're still early in free agency and the Draft is still 6 weeks away. But in my opinion by any measure the Rams have had a good offseason so far. By my count...

- they had what could be considered 6 'core' Unrestricted Free Agents. They retained three (Joyner, Robey-Coleman, Sullivan), losing one (Watkins) while letting one go by choice (Johnson) and having the other still waiting in the wings (Barwin) for a possible return later on.

- in the process of losing two UFAs they have (very likely) recouped the 99th and 101st picks in 2019. Over the Cap 2019 Compensatory Draft Picks

- AND they swap out Ogletree and Quinn for Peters and Talib on defense. Moves that while creating holes also make the defense better overall and improve their cap position.

- Among their 'second tier' free agents they retained McQuaide and now Easley (TBD if he makes the team) while losing Carrier and Davis but yet again likely netting 7th round compensatory picks in 2019 for them.

- They retain Malcolm Brown and Troy Hill while they've tendered and hopefully will keep Longacre. Tyrunn Walker remains on the market while they seemingly have no interest in others like Lance Dunbar, etc.

And they still have close to $30M in cap space for 2018 and probably $100M for 2019 as things stand...
So... holes and questions remain. Can Reynolds step up in class and be their 3rd WR? If not, then who? What will the ILB and OLB spots look like? Where will they find a true NT? What about OL depth? All valid questions and yet, on March 20th I would think most Rams fans are hopeful and most of the league looks enviably at the Rams position.

Good post.

On the 2019 cap space. Right now over.the.cap.com isn't factoring Tavon into their 2019 calculations. If you factor Tavon in the Rams have 109.9-something M.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

very good early offseason for the Rams

LMU93436March 20, 2018 03:27AM

zn201March 20, 2018 03:39AM

$109 Million???!!!!

NewMexicoRam94March 20, 2018 11:04AM

great post LMU...good for my perspective on the future....

SunTzu_vs_Camus113March 20, 2018 08:08AM

Rams43110March 20, 2018 08:13AM

nice summary and yes Rams have had top shelf off season

ferragamo79111March 20, 2018 09:44AM