Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

La Canfora: Rams Actively Working to Keep Watkins

March 11, 2018 12:44PM
From Jason LaCanfora--

[www.cbssports.com]

Sammy Watkins may end up doing a bridge contract similar to Robinson's. We'll see if he hits that $14M threshold, but the Rams are working actively to retain him, sources said, and Watkins is open to staying there. His injury history gives a lot of teams pause, but the overall paucity of high-end pass catchers available bodes well for him …

From RotoWorld--
[www.rotoworld.com]

Watkins is reportedly "open to staying." La Canfora mentions Watkins possibly settling for a "bridge" contract, likely on a one- or two-year deal to continue to rebuild other teams' confidence in his ability to stay healthy and effective. Watkins' "market" to this point has been pretty quiet. Most teams likely view him as a fallback plan to fellow free agent Allen Robinson.

================

The San Francisco 49ers have been among the more proactive organizations in the NFL early in this offseason, making Jimmy Garoppolo the highest-paid player in the NFL – for at least a little while – extending receiver Marquise Goodwin and adding potential Hall of Fame corner Richard Sherman over the weekend.

And they are far from done.

The 49ers still have plenty of cap space and are prepared to spend. Expect them to land at least one more big-ticket item this week at the onset of free agency – specifically, receiver Allen Robinson, who is among the most sought-after players in a largely weak free-agent class. And how do you think Dion Lewis, the best available option at running back, would look in that backfield as a replacement for oft-injured free agent Carlos Hyde?

There will be ample competition for Robinson – the Bears and Browns are among those hot after him, I'm told (while teams like the Ravens and Panthers have some interest but have cap constraints they are fighting against). And the Jaguars would love to keep him.

Robinson is one of the few young, potential difference-makers available on offense and, given that he is not that far removed from a 1,400 season, even missing last season to an ACL tear won't hold him back. Yes, it's most likely he ends up signing a one- or two-year deal that will allow him to relaunch into free agency at a time when he's not rehabbing an injury, but don't be surprised if he ends up landing $14M a year on that pact. Sure, he might not get that $16-plus million that would have come with the franchise tag, but he won't miss out by much.

As for Lewis, his ability to operate as a difference-maker out in space as well as being a powerful runner between the tackles makes him quite attractive to various teams. New England is going to attempt to fight to keep him, from what I gather, but his price-point may far outpace what the Pats are used to spending at the running back position. The Jets, Titans and Colts are also in play for Lewis, sources said, while I can't help but wonder if the Bucs, Browns and Raiders will get involved when the market opens this week.

If the 49ers were to land this duo, and then take one of the many intriguing tight ends in this draft, they may have a transformational offense under Kyle Shanahan. Consider me among the many who are super high on Jimmy Garoppolo. The 49ers should be bolstered by the return of aging but respected receiver Pierre Garcon, and Goodwin was a revelation once Garoppolo took over the huddle. There is still some work to do on defense, especially if Reuben Foster's legal problems keep him off the field, but the 49ers seem to have improved in bounds since the Garoppolo trade, and they are far from done adding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2018 12:47PM by RamBill.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

La Canfora: Rams Actively Working to Keep Watkins

RamBill929March 11, 2018 12:44PM

I came here just to say

Ram_Ruler303March 11, 2018 01:32PM

I'm thinking he'd be likely to take a discount for us ...

alyoshamucci219March 11, 2018 01:59PM

Re: I'm thinking he'd be likely to take a discount for us ...

Ramsdude212March 11, 2018 02:15PM

Watkins return sounds promising NM

PHDram170March 11, 2018 02:29PM

Don’t know about promising...

Rams43234March 11, 2018 02:37PM

Re: Don’t know about promising...

bigjimram21191March 11, 2018 02:55PM

Re: Don’t know about promising...

reggae175March 11, 2018 03:10PM