Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

from NYG fan message boards--the reaction is mixed w/ a lot favorable

March 08, 2018 07:20AM
gathered by HAL 9000 on another board, no source given in the original:

Okay, it is starting to be fun to be a Giants fan again.

Giving up the 2nd pick of the 4th round is a pretty steep price to pay for this guy and his contract.

"On October 12, 2017, Ogletree signed a four-year, $42 million contract extension with the Rams with $30 million guaranteed.[15]
On March 7, 2018, Ogletree was traded to the New York Giants in exchange a 4th round pick and a 6th round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.[16]"

So who owes what? That's a big number to take on if the Giants are on the hook for all of it.

So he didn’t fit in well in one 3-4 defense. I wonder what he does in ours if we're converting to that scheme.

He's always been a middle linebacker in a 4-3.

I think I can help you feel better. Think of which 4th and 6th round picks over the last 10 years you would rather have than Ogletree and a 7th.
.....I'll wait.

League average for Linebacker is 10.2 mill.

The Giants got a 26 year old, 2016 2nd team All Pro for the league average locked up for 4 seasons. For a 4th and a 6th that isn't too bad imo. It's a steal if you think how poor our drafts have been.

I wanted Ogletree at the time he was drafted but I'm not sure how I feel now about giving up draft choices for him that we need so badly. I know he's a very good player and we will benefit from having him but this is just a bad year for us to be giving up draft choices....

Perfect. That is really a 5th I believe by the numbers not the round.

We didn’t give up much then for good talent!

We gave up a comp 4th which by the numbers is really a late 5th or early 6th pick for a LB that has been an all pro and solid veteran!

You gave up 2 questionable picks that probably wouldn’t contribute this year and get an absolute starter and a draft pick next year.

I think we made out on this deal.

I thought that you couldn't trade a Comp pick.

You CAN

Excellent - the difference between 102 and 135.

I just read that the trade rule was changed on December 2, 2015 to allow the trading of comp picks. Thanks guys.

Assuming the pickup does not cripple us financially, how can anyone think getting a young 2nd team All Pro is a bad move versus giving up a 4th rounder who is likely at most a backup (rarely a starter) and 6th round who is lucky to make the team? It's a home run.

I can't complain. Good player who should flourish in this system.

The fourth rounder given up was a gift from the NFL, so in a way it's Ogletree and a 7th for a 6th. B/t/w just heard on the Michael Kay show he and Andrew Adams are brothers-in law. We actually have a REAL linebacker on the team now. Wow, pinch me please.

I see that no one commented on MGs scouting reports on Ogletree. This was more than a salary dump. The Rams didn’t like him anymore because Alec was poor against the run.

This trade indicates a big change in philosophy. The Giants have always avoided “run and chase” LBers such as Ogletree. Apparently they are putting a premium on LBers who can cover at the second level and rush the passer with run stopping a distant third.
This is outstanding. A quality linebacker that can cover in space. Possibly the biggest hole we have on D. Well worth a late 4th a d a 6th rd pick. Very nice!

Ogletree has twelve (12) forced fumbles in his career. Have the Giants had a recent LB with that stat?
Giants acquire LB Alec Ogletree, 2018 7th-round pick from Rams for 2018 4th- and 6th-round picks

Leave it to two teams in the northeast part of the country to conduct two major trades on the day of a crazy nor'easter. How are they doing this without any electricity? I'm barely functioning!

This trade isn't nearly as lopsided as the other one, as it makes sense for both teams. However, I'd say the Giants are the winners. They're getting a linebacker upgrade in Alec Ogletree, who has been an inconsistent player for the Rams, looking great at times, but missing too many tackles in other games. Still, he's young (27 in September) and much better than the options they've had in recent years, and it's not like New York gave up a lot to acquire him. It's basically just a fourth-rounder, since the two teams swapped sixth- and seventh-round choices. Ogletree isn't a steal at that price, but he definitely provides good value.

The Rams, meanwhile, are clearing more cap space once again. Ogletree wasn't a great fit in Wade Phillips' offense, so it makes sense that they would deal him in addition to Robert Quinn,

who also didn't take well to Phillips' scheme.

Grade for Giants - B+
Grade for Rams - B

Comment on the other free agent signings below.

Pluses?
Team Captain so clearly he's smart
12 forced fumbles, 43 passes defended and 6 INT's in 5 years
Offers a skill set we simply don't have (coverage)
Minuses?
Never was a good tackler in college and still isn't
Contract needs immediate re-working and still has an out next season so could be a one year rental

Isn’t out after 2019?

There's another roster bonus due next March. If he doesn't play well we can cut him before it gets paid.

This is such a peculiar situation from the Rams POV.

The narrative is they are shipping out Robert Quinn and now Ogletree as bad fits in Wade's 34 D. So fine - why did they sign Ogletree to a big extension a few months ago? Wade was already in place, and they had already seen Ogletree in his system for half a season.

The only thing I can come up with logically in the Rams favor here is Mark Barron: according to recent articles he was a potential cap casualty. Perhaps they chose to keep Barron and trade Ogletree, considering Barron the better value? It still doesn't explain why they gave Ogletree a big extension if they weren't sold on him.

I think the bottom line is we are talking about a notoriously cheap ownership for the Rams, and a losing franchise. There is no logic here.

In spite of his tackling woes Ogletree is ninth in the NFL with 367 solo tackles since entering the league in 2013. that is sixth among linebackers, behind only Lavonte David, Luke Kuechly, Bobby Wagner, Paul Posluszny and Lawrence Timmons.

So they got him for a sixth. Teams don't dump good players for a compensatory 4th and a sixth.

But I think the Rams dealt Ogletree more out of a case of buyers remorse than needing to free up cap space. Looking back, that's a bad contract, and the Donald extension (the only one that makes this move make sense) looming they decide to rip the band-aid off now.

And to that point this site is kind of schizophrenic, I read multiple posts on the Giants cap situation (who have less room than the rams) say the Giants can do anything they want, cap space is fictitious and be created easily, but the Rams had to trade one of their starting linebackers they just signed to a LT deal less than a year ago because they need the cap space.

Can't be both, unless it's only the Giants where the salary cap is a mythical limitation and they have super powers to get around it.

It was a bad contract for them. He was just a poor fit for Wade Phillips defense and they have too many guys that need to be paid in the next few years. Donald (who held out last year) and Gurley are no brainers and they appear to want to resign Johnson and Watkins (not sure why here). To answer your question on why they dealt him now instead of waiting...they had to. He has a 7m dollar roster bonus kicking in this week and a 6m dollar roster bonus hitting next year.

Two players (Donald and Goff) are about to receive 100 million dollar contracts with in the next 3 years. Gurley will be paid the highest at his position in the next 2 years. Joyner, Watkins, and Peters will all be paid among the highest at their positions some time between now and next offseason. They don't want to lose Johnson or Robey-Coleman but they'll more than likely have to choose the lesser of the two (RC). If they want to retain all those pieces they have to start the process of moving money now.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Giant Fan's reaction to the trade, they know they got fleeced

Los Angeles Lenny633March 08, 2018 06:30AM

from NYG fan message boards--the reaction is mixed w/ a lot favorable

zn198March 08, 2018 07:20AM

Giants fleeced?

jemach118March 08, 2018 01:05PM