Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: You're only looking at the down side to Snead's approach...

March 05, 2018 10:22AM
spagsbacker
Rams probably were hoping Engram would fall to them last year which did not happen. I thought and still believe Everett was a reach. One thing about Snead is he seldom lets the draft come to him, he identifies a position and then drafts that position, especially in the 1st rd. A few years ago, Rams desperately needed O Line, drafted G Robinson. Desperately needed WR, drafted Tavon after giving up a 2nd rd pick to do so (rumors were we liked Deandre Hopkins, but oh well). Last year, Rams needed a TE and took Everett. Other years they let the draft come to them and leap on players that fall in their laps...(Gurley, & Donald). Since our needs are pretty spread out, and though we could certainly use a few positions in particular, the best approach would be to be patient, and see what falls to us, maybe even a trade down if we can garner a 2nd rd pick. They certainly made up for Everett reach with some gems later in Kupp and J Johnson.

go rams

First, you get credit for noticing how Snead approaches the draft. He seldom let's it come to him. He targets a need and then trades up or down to get in a position where he can draft that need at decent value.

Most people talk about BPA versus need drafting not realizing that Snead doesn't really do either. So kudos on the recognition.

That said, you've only highlighted the down side examples of his approach.

Tavon is the most obvious and really only example of a fail. The Rams desperately needed a playmaking WR and aggressively traded up for one.

(Despite me hating the pick, GRob was widely considered to be BPA. Thus he wasn't drafted out of desperation neither is he a good example of Snead not letting the draft come to him.)

Everett happened because McVay desperately wanted a TE and Snead moved into a range where one was available. I seriously doubt they were expecting Engram to fall though.

The down side to this approach is, there may be some slight reaches.

The consensus from what I recall was that Everett was in the 50-55 range of top players available. However, the same consensus said that he wasn't going to be available at our 2nd round pick. So one could say there was a slight reach. If you're dead set on addressing a certain position, that's going to occasionally happen.

That's more than off set IMO by the extra draft capital Snead typically obtains by trading down. You called Kupp and JJ III gems. One of those gems, is the upside to Snead's approach. I say it's worth it.

In the meantime, since we don't know how Everett will pan out, we don't know if he's a failed example of Snead's approach.

There are a lot more good examples of his approach than the one (TA), maybe two (Everett?), bad examples.

Good examples:

Brockers
AO
Havenstein
Goff
Everett (could go either way depending on how he turns out. But the extra "gem" should have it leaning towards the positive column.)

Clearly, there is a lot of talent on this team. Since he's been good at drafting overall, my vote is we let him approach it however he wants and take the little bad with the more numerous good.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Anyone else feel pretty comfortable about our pick at #23?

Rams43487March 05, 2018 07:31AM

Re: I'm not sure how to feel

Speed_Kills222March 05, 2018 07:46AM

Re: as long as they don't force pick like last year...

spagsbacker275March 05, 2018 08:19AM

Re: You're only looking at the down side to Snead's approach...

dzrams231March 05, 2018 10:22AM

Right now I'm feeling pretty uncomfortable...

jemach235March 05, 2018 10:04AM

Re: Right now I'm feeling pretty uncomfortable...

MARamfan232March 05, 2018 10:51AM

Re: Anyone else feel pretty comfortable about our pick at #23?

BeachBoy159March 06, 2018 04:37PM