Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

An excellent Run Defense post by BonifayRam...

March 02, 2018 08:53AM
Here’s BonifayRam...

Run Defense must be greatly improved & is top of the list. Snead currently is paying serious $$$ for starting defensive players who proved to be weak in this skill. The absence of a true run stopping or plugging up NT was clearly evident. LB'ers Barron & Quinn were major players in contributing to this run defense weakness too. To a lesser degree our SS (JJ III) & our starting Strong side interior LB'er (Ogletree) are not best suited or skilled in these current assigned starting posts.

NT & DL:
Since the Rams will be paying big $$$ for both of the DL'ers that line up on each side of the NT(Donald/Brockers), I am not an advocate for spending more for a veteran starting NT, but instead going the draft route to secure a highly skilled NT for the economy price. I would resign reserve veteran NT Tyrunn Walker to work with first yr NT Omarius Bryant. Since Ethan Westbrook was originally the 5 tech DE starter when the season began I would use this veteran to back up Brockers along with Morgan Fox. Westbrooks is better against the run & Fox is the better pass rusher. So the reserves behind Brockers is now beefed up. 2nd yr DT Tanzel Smart will back up Donald.

ISLB'ers:
I would insert immediately Alec Ogletree into the weak-side interior starting post where Barron & Littleton started. This is by far the best position for our defensive captain to start & play. This will improve the performance coming from this post from last season. The strong side interior LB'ing post is now vacant. Neither Barron nor Littleton will be prospects for this starting post. I would sign a veteran well known hitter & run stopper to start in this vacant post. {Todd Davis/ Avery Williamson/ NaVorro Bowman/ Mychal Kendricks}. In addition I would use the draft to select an inside LB'er to provide good reserve prospects with Bryce Hager. I would return Cory Littleton back to his more natural playing position @ OLB'er. Mark Barron will be released due to ....save cap funds/ Health issues/ Poor fit.

OSLB'ers/ Edge Rushers:
The best run defenders @ OSLB'er last season were Barwin & Longacre. Both of these LB'er had injuries issues which hurt the run defense. Longacre was missed in the playoff gm. Snead has a large very young cadre of 34 D prospects {Ebukam/ Littleton/ Longacre/ Price/ Thompson/ Sickels} easily available for Wade. I expect improvement from this above cadre against the run. Veteran captain Barwin would be an easy low cost resign if desired. This 2018 draft is NOT a good 34 Defense OLB/ER draft. Due to this... the value of Rob Quinn is trending upward as an edge pass rusher. Snead might be able to get a decent bounty of draft selections for Quinn in open bidding yet from any needy 43 D team.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

An excellent Run Defense post by BonifayRam...

Rams43388March 02, 2018 08:53AM

Re: Would like to see Barwin back

leafnose131March 02, 2018 02:26PM

Re: Would like to see Barwin back

NorCalRamFan128March 02, 2018 03:08PM