Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Well, we disagree.

December 29, 2017 07:34PM
Blue and Gold
Billy_T

Reminds me of another punching bag for some fans: Brian Quick. IMO, he was (ridiculously) underused, rarely targeted, poorly coached, and then summarily dumped. I think the kid could have been very "productive" if they had bothered to actually throw him the ball more often. Of course, Sammy is more talented than BQ, but he, too, has been underused by a much, much better coaching staff. I can easily imagine Brian Quick, if he had been coached by this staff from his rookie year on as a very successful receiver, and still a Ram.

Quick had problems running right routes, catching and using his big body to shield ball from defenders. All the things Watkins does well. Quick looked the part but when you watched him he rarely got it done.

Watkins gets it done play after play. Is he the best in NFL? No. But he's a #1 receiver and worth the #2 pick and worth resigning. He especially done well in red zone and muscling for TDs. Kind of in an Anquan Boldin type of way and at same time can get deep, unlike Boldin. Not saying they are same,but there do share some traits.

No big deal. But I think you're wrong and I'm correct about Quick, and the Rams made a mistake.

If a player flashes, if he makes a certain kind of play, demonstrates athleticism, speed, power, hands, blocking ability, etc. etc. even once in a game, that means he has it in him to repeat that. And I saw him do it more than often enough to believe it could be repeated and normalized. All Quick needed was better coaching and a real chance, and in his case (I'm guessing) that also meant help with a learning disability and self-esteem issues. The self-esteem problem likely came from the Rams not utilizing him, and the LD stuff has decades, historically, of successful treatment. It just looks like the Rams didn't bother to even try to help him in that area.

Regardless, I'm not going to argue with ya about this. Believe what you want. But I think we largely agree about Watkins. So that's something.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

"Production" for a receiver is tough to measure.

Billy_T463December 29, 2017 06:07PM

Don't think so

Blue and Gold202December 29, 2017 06:55PM

Billy_T170December 29, 2017 07:34PM

Killrazor152December 30, 2017 12:09AM