Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams Take the NFC West: Seven Stats to Know

December 24, 2017 04:11PM
Rams take NFC West: Seven stats to Know

The Rams got an early Christmas gift on Sunday, clinching their first NFC West title since 2003. L.A. put on a solid performance in all three phases, defeating the Tennessee Titans on the road 27-23. With the victory, the club improves to 11-4 on the season heading into its final regular season matchup of the year against the 49ers.

Check below for seven key stats from Sunday:

1. RAMS TAKE THE WEST

With the win, L.A. clinched the NFC West.
View Gallery | 281 Photos
PHOTOS: Rams vs. Titans Game Gallery

Just one year after going 4-12, the Rams have made a complete turnaround, improving to 11-4 on the season. This marks the first time Los Angeles has won a division title since 2003 and will be the franchise’s first playoff berth since 2004.

2. GURLEY MAKES CASE FOR MVP

Running back Todd Gurley had 276 yards from scrimmage as he continues to make a case for an MVP award. His two touchdowns on Sunday brought his season total to a league-best 19 — passing running back Greg Bell (18 in 1988) for the fourth most touchdowns scored in a single season in franchise history.

The Georgia product also became just the 3rd player in NFL History to have at least 2,000 yards from scrimmage, 10 rushing touchdowns, and more than five receiving touchdowns in a single season.

3. FOUR GAMES STRAIGHT

The Rams defense continued to make an impact early in Sunday’s contest, recording a takeaway on the Titans’ opening drive. On 2nd-and-8 from the Tennessee 35, linebacker Cory Littleton — filling in for an inactive Mark Barron — picked off quarterback Marcus Mariota for the first interception of his career.

In all, L.A has recorded eight takeaways on an opponent’s opening drive this season — including in each of last four contests.

4. GOFF MOVES UP THE LEADERBOARD

Quarterback Jared Goff completed 22-of-38 passes for 301 yards and four touchdowns. The second-year signal caller (16 touchdowns) passed Jim Everett (14 in 1992) for the fourth-highest single-season passing touchdown output on the road in franchise history.

Additionally, Goff’s 28 passing touchdowns this season are the most by a Rams quarterback since Kurt Warner in 2001. The Cal product (3,804 yards) also passed Sam Bradford (3,512 yards) for the No. 9 single-season passing output in franchise history.

5. DOUBLING THE POINT TOTAL

Under first-year head coach Sean McVay, the Rams offense has become one of the most efficient in the league. Heading into Week 16, L.A. was averaging a league-best 31.3 points per game. And with the 27 points scored against the Titans, the Rams have now more than doubled their season point total from 2016 (224).

In the third quarter when wide receiver Sammy Watkins brought in a three-yard touchdown pass from Goff, the Rams set a new franchise record from most points scored on the road in a single season. With 255 points overall, the Rams broke the mark set by the club in 2001 (250 points).

6. GURLEY JOINS IMPRESSIVE COMPANY

With his career long 80-yard touchdown reception in the second quarter, Gurley joined Marshall Faulk as the only Rams running back with 100 receiving yards and two receiving touchdowns in a game.

The touchdown catch is also the second-longest recpetion by a running back this season. Dallas running back Rod Smith had an 81-yard reception against the Giants on Dec. 10.

7. MCVAY MAKES HISTORY

Head coach Sean McVay became the youngest coach in NFL history to win the NFC West. The record was previously set by Dick Nolan (San Francisco), who clinched the title at 38 years old in 1970. McVay also became the youngest coach to win his division since John Madden (Oakland) in 1970 and he is the youngest coach to make the playoffs.

#HelmetHornsMatter

“Well, the color is good, I like the metallic blue,” Youngblood recently said while laughing, via NFL Journal. “The horn is terrible. It looks like a ‘C.’ When I first saw it on the logo I honestly thought it was a Charger logo.

“Now when I see it on the helmet, it just isn’t a ram horn. There is no distinct curl like a mature ram horn. I don’t know how the Rams could get that wrong. That is your symbol and it has been for what? Seventy years or more? Longer than I have been alive? It’s just not us, it’s not the Rams.”---Mr. Ram Jack Youngblood

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams Take the NFC West: Seven Stats to Know

Ramsdude396December 24, 2017 04:11PM

Re: Kupp, Higbee add to the highlights

leafnose154December 24, 2017 06:08PM