Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: HC McVay, OC LaFleur – Media Availability – December 15, 2017

Anonymous User
December 15, 2017 01:14PM

Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – December 15, 2017

(Opening Remarks)

“From an injury standpoint, (C) John Sullivan was the only one that did not participate today. He had an illness, but hopefully that’s just short term and he’ll be ready to go and then (Qcool smiley Brandon Allen also did not participate with his back, so he’ll be doubtful for the game.”

(On if everyone else will be good)

“Everybody else will be good.”

(On what he thinks made former Buccaneers Head Coach Jon Gruden such a great coach and what he thinks it means for him to be inducted in the Buccaneers Ring of Honor on Sunday)

“Yeah, he’s one of my biggest mentors. Fortunately, right when I got into coaching I got a chance to work under Coach Gruden and I think in terms of some of things that we feel like here embody a great coach, that’s exactly what he possesses – he’s a great communicator, great teacher, motivator, builds and develops relationships with guys and really has a great understanding of the game. So, really kind of all the important traits and characteristics that you look for in a coach, Coach Gruden possess and in terms of somebody kind of taking you under their wing, really teaching you the game – I talk to people all the time about teaching you to look at it from a 22-man perspective, not just understanding one position, but understanding all of them and how that can help your overall understanding of the game and ability to communicate and relate to those players. Anytime that you’re able to win a Super Bowl or World Championship like he was there, that’s a special thing and he’s a special coach and very happy for him.”

(On where things are with WR Tavon Austin is in terms of his role in the offense)

“I think Tavon is really a combination – he’s a very important part of our offense and I think a lot of things that might not show up on the stat sheet, people that prepare for him, prepare for us, I think they would tell you that there is a lot of different things that Tavon does for this offense, excluding just running the football and catching passes. But, the threat of what he can do for us is very valuable. He’s been such a great contributor and really, you talk about the demeanor and good energy that he brings every single day. He’s a guy that you can’t help but to really just love being around. I would say that Tavon is really kind of a guy that’s playing some running back, he’s playing receiver, he’s doing a lot of different things that serves a very valuable role for us and he’s contributing in a lot of ways and we feel very fortunate to have Tavon.”

(On if his team is prepared for the noise in Seattle and if the team received any noise complaints)

“I don’t know. If so it’s over with now, we got some good work in. Certainly we know that it won’t quite be just like the noise will be on Sunday, but try to create it as closely as we could and it’s going to be a great challenge for us.”

(On if the use of the speakers this week was similar to what they did in the week leading up to the Vikings game)

“We did. I think there was a couple times where it sounded like the speakers blew out and I know their fans will be excited. It’s going to be a great atmosphere and something that our players are looking forward to.”

Offensive Coordinator Matt LaFleur – Media Availability – December 15, 2017

(On how big it is to have WR Robert Woods back this week)

“It’s huge. Just his rapport with (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff). He’s been a veteran guy that’s provided a lot of leadership for our receiving corps as a whole, so getting him back is huge.”

(On the challenges of preparing for a Seattle defense that has a lot of injuries and you don’t know who is going to be active or not)

“That’s a good question. When you look at this defense, they’re schematically a really good defense. They’ve been a great defense for like five-plus years now. So for us, it really doesn’t matter who’s in the game – it’s just about us going out and executing to the best of our ability.”

(On how much of an emphasis he has put on ball protection going into the Seattle game)

“I think that’s our emphasis on a weekly basis. We know that in order to win games – you look at our track record when we’ve taken care of the ball, we’ve done well. Especially, when you go into a game against a good defense, you better take care of the ball.”

(On Head Coach Sean McVay talking about getting RB Todd Gurley more involved in the offense)

“You always want to get your best players the ball, right? We’re always in the mindset of ‘How can we best move the ball?’ And whether it’s in the running game or the passing game we definitely want to get, again, our best guys the ball. Todd has proven that throughout the course of the season. He’s a dual threat guy. We know that in order for us to move the ball to the best of our ability he’s got to get it.”

(On what he remembers about evaluating WR Cooper Kupp and if he was a player that stood out to him)

“Long before I got here, I know Sean (McVay) and (Rams General Manager) Les (Snead) had conversations about him. The thing that jumped out to me the most is just you’re talking about a really productive guy and he is the epitome of consistency in everything he’s done from the day he’s got here. When you watched him on tape, a guy that could separate as good as anybody I’ve seen. Especially coming out in this last draft, he was an unbelievable separator, had really good hands and again was productive on a weekly basis and some really big games. Going back to his college career, he had some really big games against some Pac-12 teams, so I’m just glad he’s here. He’s continued to do that on this level as well.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Anonymous User304December 15, 2017 01:14PM