December 17, 2017 05:32AM
Ireland and Mason ask about the crucial penalties.

I sensed some ambivalence in his response to the critical penalty on Tru. To most of us, that's the key moment in the game.
and just to go straight off the mark Aldon Gonzales reviewed the flag just yesterday here:

Just watched that big unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against Trumaine Johnson again. I understand keeping your composure, but that was just an unwarranted flag. It was subtle, and he was walking away when they threw it. That should not impact games (or, given that Carson Wentz tore his ACL shortly thereafter, seasons). Johnson said he was not warned beforehand. "Me and Alshon (Jeffery), we know each other," he said. "We see each other in the offseason. We dab it up, say what's up. So during the game, man, I was really just playing football, competing. And trash talk comes with that. If you can see the play — PBU, got in his face, and we're kind of laughing at each other. I'm talking trash, of course. And the ref told me I was in his face, taunting. It was a big, crucial play. But I was just playing ball. Still I can't believe he threw that flag. Crazy. It really is."

Aldon is pretty good at staying objective. This remark raises my hackles, and one has to wonder if the Rams made critical comments to the league about it.

They move on and ask about the "leverage" flag.
This is where you sort of hear Sean have to think through his response some. He gets back in his role in the "point of contention," and my interpretation is that he eventually gets around to the defense held them to another FG attempt, but never quite gets to the loss of time off the clock. There's the moment where the "tell" is.
Back in the film room, Bones had to have been apoplectic. And Sean's radio chat there must have included some static buzz from Bones' fury. That's my take.

On the larger note, McVay says they'll remain playing to win, and not tighten up.
Like it.
and it sounds as if the team was very upbeat after practice.
Like that, too
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Sean McVay Joins Mason/Ireland to Talk Rams

RamBill327December 15, 2017 04:45AM

Re: Sean McVay: my sense of his remarks on flags

leafnose151December 17, 2017 05:32AM