Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

McVay's end game with lead strategy

November 28, 2017 08:11PM
This is a post about how the Rams ended the game vs the Saints mixed in with some theory on running the clock. Very curious what everyone thinks about this topic as I think this is a very poorly handled situation throughout the NFL historically.

Given a team has a lead, ie. the Rams with a six point lead vs the Saints, and time is short. Time is the most valuable resource for both teams. A team can score in one second, but one play can use up 45 seconds. This leads to the sometimes it is better to take a first down but not score, and the let the other team score strategies. Time is the most important resource in certain situations.

I thought McVay was correct in throwing the ball. The Saints were lining up in the a-gaps, and he felt that was not a good situation for his running game. So he passed the ball. What I do not like is that a drive consisting of three passes can use 15 or less seconds of the clock. Say, if all passes are incomplete. My thought here is that even if one thinks passing is the most efficient way to gain a first down, in situations where time is the most valuable resource--running the ball, even though you consider it a 'bad play' is a win because of the 45 seconds of time used. So, in the Saints game, run at least once a down. Even fully expecting to not gain yardage, the time used by running makes the play worthwhile.

Thought this was interesting and look forward to hearing what you all think. Overall, I much prefer McVay's handling of the situation vs the typical run, run, run, punt we see.

Thanks.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

McVay's end game with lead strategy

cool_hand_luke623November 28, 2017 08:11PM

Re: McVay's end game with lead strategy

Rams43223November 28, 2017 08:39PM

The only play I didn't like was the pass to Watkins

stlramz285November 28, 2017 08:59PM

I call it the Prevent Offense

PeoriaRa190November 29, 2017 03:04AM

Re: I call it the Prevent Offense

Steve172November 29, 2017 03:27AM