Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Not surprised.

November 27, 2017 06:49AM
A few weeks back, I wrote about learning to trust the team. I said I trust the coaching staff to prepare the team to compete and to win their share of games.

Last week, we faced a really good team. I trusted us to compete and we did. We didn't win, but we easily could have and I don't think we were out classed.

This week, we faced a really important game against a very good team. Honestly, I expected us to win. I really did. And I am not surprised that we did so relatively comfortably. This coaching staff is not going to give up BOTH of those games. They're just not.

I also EXPECT us to compete in the last 5 and probably win 3, if not more. That's who this team is ... barring injury of course.

But you know what? I was also not surprised to lose last week. I didn't think we were ready for that one. That is, I don't think we were MATURE enough as a team.

I see us like really talented 19 year olds learning to compete against men in their mid-20s. We can play and thrive ... but we aren't quite where we need to be to take the court away from the grizzled veterans. The Vikings have been buzzing around the edges of excellence for a few seasons. They are MATURE enough to step up. We're not.

Let me just give 2 quick examples.

Cooper Kupp is a superb rookie WR, wise beyond his years. ... And he is a rookie who doesn't always master the moment. Last week, he ...
  • Fumbled on the 1 losing the go-ahead TD.
  • Dropped a key 3rd down conversion at 14-7.

To me, this is a rookie who hasn't grown up yet. Good as he is, he can't quite beard the veterans.

Then there is McVay. I think the guy is still learning, especially in calling games. Think of that weird flea-flicker thing yesterday. We're carrying a lead against a high-octane offense and had just moved the chains twice, running and passing. Keep the momentum going, and we can kill the game. But McV calls the weird flea flicker, kills the momentum, and lets the drive die.

I think McV is still fluctuating between aggressive and conservative play calling. He doesn't always have a feel for how to relentlessly keep the momentum going. He really is a kid, and it shows at times.

For me, this is a wonderful season. But, as I have said repeatedly, this is not '99. We are a green team and it shows at times. We don't QUITE have the edge you need to truly contend. We need to grow up to hit the highest level. In the end, I expect us to win our division and at least one playoff game. But I don't see us in the last 2 games of the season. I don't think we've grown up enough.

Now, of course, the season isn't over. We've grown up a lot this year. Could we grow up further and actually get there? Well, yes. That could happen.

But I don't expect it. I expect us to keep competing, win most of our games, and come up a bit short to a more mature team.

If we don't do one or the other of these things, I will be surprised.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Not surprised.

RFL577November 27, 2017 06:49AM

Re: Not surprised.

F.Mulder363November 27, 2017 07:03AM

Scar tissue

RFL244November 27, 2017 07:26AM

Gotta change the question for me...

JamesJM414November 27, 2017 07:36AM

Neither was I, surprised but that loss...

JamesJM233November 27, 2017 07:10AM

Re: Neither was I, surprised but that loss...

RFL250November 27, 2017 07:17AM

the curse...

wv ram242November 27, 2017 07:49AM

LOL! I thought about that as it happened! (NM)

RFL277November 27, 2017 07:50AM

Re: Not surprised.

CraigMatson220November 27, 2017 08:05AM