Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

To my eyes, there is no comparison of Goff-Wentz to Rosen-Darnold

November 19, 2017 03:30AM
To my admittedly untrained technical eye (but a lot of years of watching football), any hope of teams that need QBs that Rosen and Darnold represent a second coming of the Goff and Wentz (and Prescott to be fair) draft need to be very cautious.

Wentz was a one man show who could carry his team to great heights in college.
Goff was productive, consistent, steady, accurate, strong arm, and simply got better year by year until he was spectacular in his Junior year. 4300 yards; 43 TDs to 13 Ints. Off the charts QB rating. On a mediocre team.

Darnold? He has taken a definite step back this year from his 2016 campaign. And the guy has weapons and a running game.
Rosen? Better than last year. Better than Darnold on a less talented team. UCLA can't run a lick. But Rosen still puts up good numbers.

But neither measure up to Goff and Wentz as they were getting ready for the draft.

Between Rosen and Darnold I think Rosen is clearly the more pure passer. More accurate, fewer mistakes, really hangs in there in the pocket. Darnold, to me, is the "dangerous" kind of mobile QB.....dangerous to his own team. He has enough athleticism to move around well and make plays in college (kind of like Tebow). But, he doesn't have enough to do the same in the Pros. He'll have to be a pure pocket passer and I'm not sure his instincts to bail are going to be subdued.

But.....since this league is a QB driven league, I can see these two likely going 1-2 in the draft in some order or another. And if you're Cleveland, how do you NOT pull that string?

I think San Fran looked at Darnold and Rosen and the 2018 draft class of QBs and said "no thanks". They have more confidence that Garapolo would become a Franchise QB than Darnold or Rosen. Because remember: they gave up a 2nd rounder for a guy who'll be a FA at the end of this season and isn't likely to contribute much this year behind a sub-par Oline. So he's going to cost a whole lot more over the next 5 years than whatever QB they might draft. So the incentive is to spend their 1st rounder on a QB (with all the benefits of cost and contract length) if they had any conviction about Darnold or Rosen; but instead they chose otherwise. And from my armchair I think San Fran made the right choice.

Wouldn't shock me once the season is over and the real evaluations begin, for the QB draft order to shake up a bit; it often does.

About the only QB that has truly impressed me this year is Mayfield. But I must admit that Rosen looks an awful lot like a Kirk Cousins....which is a good thing. However like Cousins (and most college QBs), whoever drafts either of these 2 need to have patience and not rush them in to start. The person(s) assigned to develop them is going to be the key, just as we have seen with Goff and the McVay/LaFleur/Olsen braintrust.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

To my eyes, there is no comparison of Goff-Wentz to Rosen-Darnold

RockRam731November 19, 2017 03:30AM

Re: To my eyes, there is no comparison of Goff-Wentz to Rosen-Darnold

Steve157November 19, 2017 05:39AM

and what about Winston Mariota?

max125November 19, 2017 06:12AM

Exactly

RFIP252November 19, 2017 07:59AM