Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Watkins blocking

November 10, 2017 02:30PM
[www.latimes.com]

Sammy Watkins making a mark for Rams with blocking ability as well as pass-catching skills
Sammy Watkins
Rams receiver Sammy Watkins picks up big yards against the 49ers defense in the third quarter on Sept. 21. (Wally Skalij / Los Angeles Times)
Gary Klein

The splash play against the New York Giants came on long touchdown pass from Jared Goff.

But Rams receiver Sammy Watkins also continues to make an impact on the Rams’ high-scoring offense with an overlooked part of his skill set:

Blocking.

Watkins, the fourth pick in the 2014 draft, blocked one defender and shielded teammate Robert Woods from another on Woods’ 52-yard catch-and-run touchdown against the Giants. In the previous game against the Arizona Cardinals, Watkins made a key block on a third-down pass play to Todd Gurley and on a catch-and-run touchdown by receiver Cooper Kupp.

Most of your customers expect reps to know who they are and why they’re calling—before anyone even picks up the phone. Learn more.

“It’s just great to just go out there and show that, ‘Hey man, I’m not just this guy that wants the ball 10 times a game. I’m not this first-round, whatever, fourth pick that just can run routes,’’’ Watkins said Friday. “I can also block, knock guys down. And all-around player.”

Watkins, 24, was expected by some to ascend into the No. 1 receiver role after the Rams traded for him during training camp.

But he is fourth on the team with 19 catches for 331 yards and three touchdowns.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Watkins blocking

Blue and Gold374November 10, 2017 02:30PM

wr

wv ram108November 10, 2017 02:35PM

His block on the Woods TD was....

Rampage2K-141November 10, 2017 02:46PM

It was

Blue and Gold109November 10, 2017 03:09PM