Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Silent Sully, and the right wing

November 10, 2017 03:39AM
As time elapses, and it allows me to consider the vast improvement with this group, I've ignored proper recognition of what John Sullivan has done for the offensive line

In hindsight, what I heard wasn't very promising about Sully. He had a bad back, and been reduced to a backup role. Only played, or rather started a game in 2016. As fans would note he did well in that game, but that were trying to move on there. And there was the moment that Rams had eyes on Bill Center, Ryan Groy. Signed Groy, but the Bills matched.

It wasn't until April that the club signed Sully.
And, it sure wasn't hailed as the changing tide.
Getting Whitworth was massive, but as time has finally revealed to me, Sully's part in the wildly improved offensive line is very large.

And just to remind, Tim Barnes had some extraordinarily bad snaps in 2015.
Placing Sully into the line gathered lots of questions. Health at the top of the list. And if the Rams' McVay felt strongly that the guy was going to be a strong asset why the long wait to get him in?

Well, that question sort answered itself. Sully proved to the coaching staff, his colleagues, and me over the course of half season to be a quiet solution.

And that's kind of how you want your OL to be? No flags, no issues, no drama. Make the hole, don't allow free shots on the QB, don't draw attention.
Resilient, consistent, and no issues. All good

And perhaps Sully's presence, coupled with Whitworth's very methodic process to detail, is why the right wing has enjoyed such a resurgence in quality work.

I think their tone is right. It's only half way through. Lotta, lotta football to be played. Don't exaggerate the moment, and continue to do the dirty work, and get it right.

As of now, Sully is as large an improvement as any not named Whitworth with the group. He just does it so quietly it doesn't get much applause.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Bonsignore: Rams are all right with right side of the offensive line stabilized

RamBill687November 09, 2017 06:33PM

leafnose270November 10, 2017 03:39AM

den-the-coach244November 10, 2017 05:04AM

Rams43184November 10, 2017 08:49AM

den-the-coach194November 10, 2017 04:23PM

Hav having a good year.He was good in 2015

Blue and Gold206November 10, 2017 08:56AM

Re: so funny