Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A personal “my pal John McVay” post by Farr Be It...

October 26, 2017 04:16PM
Here’s Farr Be It... (very slightly edited)

So, a few weeks ago I shared with you guys that Coach McVays grandpa, John McVay, lives a couple miles from my office. The elder McVay, of course, is a legend in the 49er organization, helping build their dynasty of the '80's and '90's. He was the one credited with the Joe Montana selection, among others. The Niner draft room is named after McVay.

I joked that I wanted to run by and give him a note letting him know what a great young man he has for a grandson. (Yeah. He needs to hear it from me.) Maybe I wasn't joking.smiling smiley

Well, today was the day! :cool:

I had a 3pm appt. in Mr. McVays neighborhood and arrived early from my previous appointment. I had about a half hour. It was then I decided to do it. Leave a note for grampa McVay expressing how impressive his grandson has been, not just as a coach, but as a man. Taking ownership. Inspiring his players. Speaking with passion. Covering our receivers in practice...well, you get the picture.

I pulled up close to his house, hand wrote the note on a piece of paper, when it happened. The garage door opened, and out stepped an elderly gentleman who got into his car and backed up. There I was. Should I? What the heck. I'm already into whack job territory.

I grabbed the note, and a business card. The driver was now fully reversed and into the street. He saw me approach. He rolled down his window. I gave my best "I'm harmless" wave and approached him.

"Mr McVay?"

"Yes" he said, seemingly unfazed.

I then proceeded to have a five minute conversation through the passenger window with John McVay! I gave him the note and told him I was a Ram fan and so excited about what his grandson was building. He wasn't able to make the game in the Bay Area earlier this year, because his wife is ailing.

"I used to call him 'kid'. Can't call him that anymore. He's a man now."

I said I don't think they have even peaked yet, and are going to get even better. He said, "I hope so."

But probably the coolest thing he said was this, "Sean used to brag that he was related to me. Now I brag that I'm related to him." yess: So cool!

I thanked him and offered him a "Sean McVay discount" if he needed any home improvements. He laughed, and said thanks. I didn't want to disrupt him too much, so I waved and said God bless you, sir as he drove off.

Now, of course I wished I pushed the envelope a bit and asked him some more questions. The journalist in me was going crazy with questions. (I mean, my board brothers would have posted bail,...right? (n) )

Anyway, I had to share that with you guys. Truly a cool moment.

Go Rams!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A personal “my pal John McVay” post by Farr Be It...

Rams43591October 26, 2017 04:16PM

Re: A personal “my pal John McVay” post by Farr Be It...

Ekern55313October 26, 2017 05:53PM

oldschoolramfan224October 27, 2017 09:11AM

BeachBoy224October 27, 2017 10:47AM