Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Not concerned, yet

October 07, 2017 06:01AM
30 touches overall in Dallas

33 touches overall in SF

19 touches overall in Wash

23 touches overall in Ind

bunch of stats don't prove or disprove my thought.
in fact, I never came back to the interception to end the match with Washington.
Goff stares down WR, and gets picked. We all know that bit.

However, what I saw in that play, was what appeared to be a very open Gurley to the other side of the field, and I still wonder with so much defense rolled to the stacked receiver side what might have occurred had Jared gone to Todd there instead. That's a big if. However, Todd's hurdle to score, on the prior drive, just pinpointed for me that the ball had to go his way some more late in the game vs the Redskins.

But that "if" was certainly proved out in the next two games. Going to Gurley, like going to Faulk is a winning formula. (BTW, writing this is a true marvel as I did not expect Todd to turn this around)

Epic backs with big careers all had a lot touches. For this club, right now, the terms of war seem to be an effective Gurley which sets up play action. Not sure that this will work every game, and I don't expect situations will always allow him to have the ball come his way 20 + times.

But I do come back to that Washington game. Todd's fumble killed us. And he's put the ball on the ground more this year than twice the number for all of last year. And yet, Todd found his game against Washington. In my mind, I think that McVay may still come back to that last Redskin play in his "wish I had that back" moments.

Not to say that they shouldn't be rotating. Have enjoyed Malcolm Brown's work. He's got that thicker structure, and tends to run north south.
For now, as long as the guys upfront continue to make room for Todd, and Todd doesn't climb up their backs? You've got to feed him the rock. 2 dozen touches a game is load, but if they can't stop the kid, especially when clock needs killing or it's later in a game and you need a for sure play? Do the right thing.

Another bit. Todd has very keen ability to go up and make a tough catch on a poor ball. Witnessed a couple of times now where the Qb has delivered out of the easy range, and our RB has had to go get that ball. This is for another thread but there's a book starting to show on Jared and what he doesn't do well.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams keep feeding Todd Gurley the ball, but how much is too much?

RamBill501October 06, 2017 07:19PM

This is a real concern

CeeZar229October 07, 2017 02:29AM

Re: This is a real concern

Classicalwit209October 07, 2017 03:59AM

Re: Not concerned, yet

leafnose201October 07, 2017 06:01AM