Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: About the Rams's D

September 27, 2017 06:58AM
RockRam
I'm not sure the Rams have the right guys for Phillip's 3-4 D.

I don't think they have Ends that play the run well enough.

I don't they have ILB's that are stout enough against the inside run.

And I don't think Quinn is suited for being an OLB. He seems lost if he doesn't line up right at the LOS.

These guys were hired to play in GW's 4-3 blitzing defense.

I admit that perhaps the Rams D simply has to play more games to get their assignments and techniques right as McVay alluded to. I'm not so sure about that. I mean, what else can he say? He can't say "we don't have the guys we need in some spots".

But this talk during preseason that there were few differences between the 4-3 and 3-4 so the Rams ought to be able to transition quickly are not proving to be the case.

I mean, if the two D's are essentially the same, why change at all?

You change for the reasons Phillips said. The 3/4 allows more deception and surprise in terms of who the 4th pass rusher is.

And, the fact remains that most of the assignments for a 3/4 one gap D ARE the same as for a 4/3 one gap D. The difference is, several of the players didn't practice pretty much all summer, including Quinn and Donald and Barron. So them not being attuned to their assignments now does not mean they stumbled learning the 3/4. It means the players did not have enough time together as a D. That;s a different issue.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

About the Rams's D

RockRam358September 27, 2017 06:45AM

zn193September 27, 2017 06:58AM

CraigMatson152September 27, 2017 07:58AM

LMU93135September 27, 2017 08:33AM