Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Former Rams QBs impressed with Goff's progress

September 25, 2017 06:11PM

Gary Klein

The list reads as a roll call of Super Bowl quarterbacks.

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan and Eli Manning emerged from Sunday’s Week 3 games as the NFL’s top five in season passing yardage.

And in sixth place . . .

The Rams’ Jared Goff.

Few would have predicted this after watching the No. 1 pick in the 2016 draft mostly struggle in seven late-season starts (all losses) as a rookie.

But with new coach Sean McVay calling plays, a rebuilt offensive line providing better protection and a deeper and more talented receiving corps, Goff has helped lead the Rams to a 2-1 record and first place in the NFC West.

Former Rams quarterbacks are impressed.

“I like Goff, and I think he’s going to get much better,” said Roman Gabriel, the 1969 NFL most valuable player. “A lot of it has to do with talent, but this season it’s also having better protection. And having McVay, from what I see, is as much a part of it as anything.”

Said Jim Everett, a Pro Bowl selection in 1990: “He’s got new guys, a new system and a new coach that’s smart and just off the charts with creativity. You see the growth in his game from a guy who was deer-in-the-headlights to a guy grasping the system.”

Read Complete Article
[www.latimes.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill440September 25, 2017 06:11PM