September 16, 2017 07:43AM
SunTzu_vs_Camus
and to yer point, zn.....I'm not so sure that all the failures of spread QBs since 2000 was NOT the quality of OC coaches.
Only cuz I think much of how the NFL operates is group-think. imo
Look at our military or any big organizations and often they go with what kinda worked in the past...more is more!
I'm just musing here...just speculatin....got no facts...just gut/observation for my opinion(the AmericanWay! lol).

I'm kinda a novice military historian...and it comes down to STRATEGY/game-plan(generals/coaches) and TACTICS/execution(soldiers/players).
Right place, right time with the right people and the right place...makes for successes. But football as in warfare...no plan survives the first shot...and adaptation/thinking outside the box & evolving design, when necessary...is where my bet would go. The generals strategy...matters.
Martz was a huge student of military history(CivilWar especially from what I read) and he often used those concepts in his offense(Art of War/SunTzu stuff, etc) to great effect tho everyone/general/coach has their blindspot.

This is not really a post countering yers, I think...just a supplemental comment on yer thots.

You would have to prove that one to me, Sun. Cause otherwise it makes no difference who you hire as your OC and qb coach cause they will all be the same. Which we know abundantly well is simply not the case.

Plus I would want to know why it was particularly Air Raid qbs who for some statistically unlikely reason all ended up with mediocre groupthink coaches.

As it happens just plain spread qbs make it in the NFL all the time. Bradford did, Roethlisberger did etc. So was it only Air Raid qbs who ended up with mediocre coaches? From 99 on? In every single instance?

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Goff, an NFL Disruptor? Blueprint for Spread transition?

Rams43787September 15, 2017 12:21PM

Good article

Blue and Gold302September 15, 2017 12:27PM

Re: Good article

zn234September 15, 2017 01:20PM

a very interesting article.

SunTzu_vs_Camus247September 16, 2017 07:05AM

Re: a very interesting article.

zn172September 16, 2017 07:43AM

unfortunately, I run on hot air these days... ;)

SunTzu_vs_Camus134September 16, 2017 10:02AM

Re: unfortunately, I run on hot air these days... ;)

zn150September 16, 2017 10:12AM

Re: unfortunately, I run on hot air these days... ;)

Rams43173September 16, 2017 10:40AM

Presumptuos? ZN names Bradford as a QB

guinnessram216September 16, 2017 01:08PM