Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wade Phillips ...

September 14, 2017 09:26AM
... doesn't coach defenses. He coaches people. His players don't like him. They love him.

The Rams made several stunning additions this past off-season. Phillips might be the most important.

One of Bum's best friends during his life was Don Haskins, the Texas Western College basketball coach. Mr. Glory Road. The guy who led TWC to the upset of Kentucky in the NCAA title game in 1966.

They were both in El Paso at the same time, though Bum was there for just one year. Talked to Haskins - The Bear - on many occasions. Many of them about Bum. They had a lot of fun in those days.

It's not well-known but Haskins had coached some football when he was coaching in high school. When Bum got the Houston job, he offered Haskins a job on his staff. “I love football," he told me once. "One of the greatest compliments I ever got was when Bum become coach of the Houston Oilers. He called me and wanted to hire me as an assistant. I said, ‘Bum, I only coached six-man football at Benjamin [Texas]. He said, ‘I don’t give a damn. I want you on my staff."
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Wade & Bum. Cool pic

RFIP346September 14, 2017 08:59AM

Re: Wade & Bum. Cool pic.......Bum Phillips

oldschoolramfan122September 14, 2017 09:21AM

Wade Phillips ...

The_Bad_Guy123September 14, 2017 09:26AM

Re: Wade & Bum. Cool pic.......Bum Phillips

LMU9396September 14, 2017 09:30AM