Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

In terms of Donald

August 25, 2017 04:23PM
I have often thought this is his big year to hold out and that's why he's holding out early. Because as good as Donald is, Wade is going to improve the defense everywhere and Donald just might not have such an overbalanced impact. I am not saying he won't still be a stud, but the overall defense is going to be much better with or without him. If I am right, it will be interesting to see what happens if the D is much better than last year's without Donald.

In terms of Donald's preparation, I have heard about what a professional he is and how he's working out on his own and he'll be ready to go. Even though I personally believe there is no substitute for being in camp and working with your teammates, let's just say that's true. But consider quotes from the article like these:

Phillips believes his secret weapon is the "teaching progression" he's developed over the years to build a defense. He stresses that players learn common terminology across position groups so they can communicate better. Most coaches meticulously plan out each day installing a defense, adhering to a strict schedule. Phillips teaches his players until they get it right.

"When we teach it, we do the same thing over and over and over and over," Phillips said. "Like the same coverage -- I'll do it three or four or five days in a row. And when they get it, I'll go to the next one. It may take two days or it may take five days, but when I feel like they've got it, then we'll go to the next step."

Donald is not getting any of that. I know, I know, he'll catch up. And I know the article says that Wade is going to scheme to put Donald in a position to make plays and that will be great, but the longer he holds out, the bigger the ramp up.

We'll see. I hope Donald comes back soon, but I will be surprised if he does. If the rumored Ram offer is true, it's a great offer. I think his agent has put Donald in a position that's gives him a simple choice. 1) Give in and take the Ram's offer, or 2) Keep holding out for an opt-out that I don't believe the Rams will give in on. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Swallow your pride, take the 65 million or so guaranteed and the other 60 million or so over the next six years, release a statement that it was worth holding out because you got some good terms or it was about the guaranteed money or something, say you're happy to put it behind you and get to work. Let someone else fight the opt-out battle.

Personally, I like a "leader" that's actually on the field, honoring his contract. Especially when there's a new general. But that's just me.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Wade Phillips brings quick-fix wizardry to Rams' D

RamBill445August 25, 2017 08:46AM

Inspiring read! Thanks for posting!

Ramadune212August 25, 2017 03:50PM

In terms of Donald

Ramadune166August 25, 2017 04:23PM