Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

An 8/15 camp report by HopHead Ram...

August 16, 2017 11:53AM
Here's HopHead Ram (slightly edited)...

Here are a couple of observations that stood out to me on my final camp practice of the year.

I love the way McVay coaches these players. I was in the corner of the redzone when they were doing the 1 on 1 Redzone drills and he was so detailed oriented on how the receivers ran their routes. He would go up to them and tell them how to adjust their route based on what the D was giving them. Attention to detail.

Sammy Watkins appears to have ZERO after effects regarding his foot injury. He was planting and cutting at full speed with no apparent discomfort or effect. The other thing I noticed about Sammy is when he catches the ball, he always goes up and grabs it and never waits for it to come to him.

The Defense continues to win the day. Do not know if that is a product of the Defense is really good or the Offense just hasn't clicked yet. Probably a little of both.

On Goff, For the most part he looked OK today. He threw some really nice long balls. He did have 2 Int. The first one, he just locked onto his target from the start and made a bad throw, The second INT was targeted to Sammy and to us, it looked more like the Sammy and Goff were not on the same page.

Josh Reynolds showed up today. He displayed his speed and his ability to go up and grab the ball. Thomas was also out there making some nice grabs.

Everett continues to stand out in practice. I really think his YAC potential will be a huge factor in this offense this year.

Connor Barwin is just a beast. He never stops and was in the backfield all practice long.

Pace Murphy needs to go. He is just a swinging door. Cannot tell if it is poor technique or just a lack of talent but he is a liability at LT

Really liking what I am seeing with Smart, He was also disrupting plays in the 11 on 11. He will find playing time this year.

More Ball Security Drills today and some Tackling drills. No cool motorized tackling dummies this year crying smiley: Those were kinda cool.

I love our Defensive Back Coaches. Aubrey Pleasant is very vocal and gets his players pumped up after every play. Ejiro Evero is a little more subdued but always in the middle of the field watching his guys. I think this unit will surprise a lot of people.

Wade Phillips is just a cool cat. He never screams, never yells. Just stands there watching and communicating with his staff and lets them do their job.

After practice, Elvis and I were watching Troy Hill and he appeared to be walking a little gingerly. Once he got to the gate, a couple of trainers grabbed his pads and helped him back.

My final takeaway from Training Camp 2017- The overall mood of our fellow Rams fans is tempered enthusiasm. We have had our hearts crushed so many times that we are reluctant to believe anything is going to be better. We want to believe this year will be different and on the surface it absolutely appears to be. McVay has brought in a level of energy that we have not seen in this team in a very long time. How that translates in the W/L column we will have to wait and see. I am excited for this 2017 squad (but realistic) 8-8 is probably the ceiling for this team but this is football and you never can tell.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

An 8/15 camp report by HopHead Ram...

Rams43937August 16, 2017 11:53AM

nice report

ferragamo79337August 16, 2017 12:05PM

Re: An 8/15 camp report by HopHead Ram...

Steve286August 16, 2017 07:48PM

The Professor326August 16, 2017 09:26PM

Rams43190August 17, 2017 05:56AM