August 14, 2017 11:00AM
Maybe this will help. It was in the sports section of the online "Buffalo News".

What They Said: Coach Sean McDermott, CB E.J. Gaines
By Staff | Published August 13, 2017

Cornerback E.J. Gaines

Q: E.J., shocking, I know on this end of things. But for you, what were your emotions and reception to the deal?

A: Oh, man. My emotions were kind of everywhere when it happened, you know? It’s a big move, a big part of my life, but man I’m just glad to be here right now.

Q: You jumped right in feet-first here, getting some reps early. How did everything go through the course of practice in terms of process and things in the snap of a finger?

A: Yeah, they went well if you ask me. I mean, a lot of mistakes I made just trying to jump into a new system but I told the coach ‘man, just throw me in there and see what I can do’ and he definitely did that for me today so we’ll go watch the film and see how I did.

Q: Have you talked about what your role will be here? Whether you’re going to be mostly outside, special teams, slot – stuff like that?

A: I haven’t. I came here to compete, and that’s wherever I go. Just to bring the competition level up, compete against these young guys, show them how to come in and work every day.

Q: Sean [McDermott] said he wants to build this team around corners who are physical and can tackle. Is that how you would describe your game?

A: Yeah, definitely don’t mind getting into the run game, tackling, causing fumbles, turnovers, that’s what I’m good for. Whatever these coaches ask me to do, I’ll do for sure.

Q: Besides it being an opportunity for you, what makes you so excited to come here versus where you were?

A: Man, just being somewhere that I feel wanted. Being somewhere that I feel like expects me to come in and make plays and knows what I can do on the football field, so I’m just excited for these coaches to be excited for me, really.

Q: E.J., where were you and what were you doing when you heard?

A: I was actually in a meeting, on my way out of a meeting and ran into [General Manager Les Snead] out there, and that’s how it happened. Big news for me. Crazy whirlwind that I’m in.

Q: Did you feel that, after you got the injury in 2015, you never got a chance to prove yourself with the Rams again?

A: I did. I was just going through a few injuries back then in 2015 after the foot injury and everything but I’m feeling a hundred percent and I think it was more of the move from the coaches with the Rams and everything but like I said, I’m excited to be here. I love these coaches and the players and it’s just a great environment.

Q: Did it feel good? I mean, you got a pass breakup there in the two-minute drill. Did that feel good to make a play on your first day?

A: Yeah, man. It took too long, if you ask me, to make a play in the day. But yeah, getting out there and making plays and having these guys get excited for me – it’s fun.

Q: It’s not your position coach, but you do have a couple coaches from the Rams from last year on your side of the ball. How much more does that make you comfortable here?

A: It’s great, man. Whenever I got here and [saw] some of the familiar faces from the Rams – I’m just excited to be here. They’re excited to see me be here too, man. Just seeing some familiar faces is good.

Q: Have you played more man or zone throughout your career and are you more comfortable in one or the other?

A: No, I don’t really mind either one. College was a little bit more zone. [Former Rams Defensive Coordinator] Gregg Williams was a little bit more man. I’ve done it all. I’m just excited to be here, like I said, and do whatever these coaches ask me to do.

Q: With that zone responsibility in mind, what are some of the keys for you to excel in the zone?

A: In the zone? I feel like it’s just breaking on the ball. That’s more of the mentality when you’re in the zone. Reading the quarterback and trying to make plays as far as just stopping your man from catching the ball in the man-to-man. I’m excited and I can do whatever they ask me to.

Q: Do you feel the pressure of – there are only three preseason games left to get acclimated and one of those is in just a few days.

A: I wouldn’t say I’m more worried about the preseason games as I am the first regular season game and just being prepared as far as these play calls and getting the offenses down that we’re playing and everything. It’s just kind of coming into one and forgetting about the defense I just left. I’m just doing that right now and focusing on that.

Q: Are you going to be cramming here over the next three days?

A: For sure. For sure. I started cramming last night and that’s why Coach, I feel like, felt comfortable throwing me out there today.

Q: You’re still entering the last year of your contract. That’s not changed, but the place where you’re at has changed. How has that altered your mindset in any way?

A: It really doesn’t. I’m on my fourth year in this league and I’m just ready to win. I want to make it to a playoff game and that’s what I’m here for and I feel like the guys around here are here for the same thing and the coaches also, so I’m excited for that.

Q: Any guys on the team that you’ve played with before you got here?

A: I actually was good friends with Shareece Wright before I came and everything, so that’s a good thing being in the corner room. He’s definitely teaching me some of the game plan and some of the techniques that coaches want us to use so that’s good.

[buffalonews.com]

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Any word from E. J. Gaines?.

laram614August 14, 2017 09:57AM

Re: Any word from E. J. Gaines?.

MamaRAMa468August 14, 2017 11:00AM

Thanks Mama! Nice read!

Ramadune226August 14, 2017 11:36AM

I wish him well

LMU93200August 15, 2017 05:49AM

Thought it was classy move by Goff during press conference

Rampage2K-223August 15, 2017 06:17AM