Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Flashback: SI followed Dick Vermeil through his first season as the Rams' coach.

July 07, 2017 09:52PM
There were so many details and nuggets of info in that article. Interesting to me that when Phillips has his huge day in the 1997 opener Vermeil gives him a chance to express that in front of the whole locker room, but he was a little less than effusive-- though Lawrence, acknowledged the O line (which is smart)....in general you got the feeling that Lawrence wasn't an uplifting guy---no surprise, I guess.

A little known fact: LP ran his 4.45-4.5/40 at 208 pounds, but then weeks later he weighed in at 230, and of course didn't run the 40 (hamstring, he said). BUt, it was reported he runs a 4.5 at 230 pounds....which did not represent truth, at all. I knew we were in trouble when a Nebraska fan told me the best runner on the team was Tommy Frazier...and he was right. [this is all from memory, kids]

Oh, and Tony Banks gets revealed for who he was....no surprise.

The article really is an incredible look at Vermeil...his leadership, mentality, failures, memories of dad calling him names etc....a very open and revealing piece. I don't think any coach would allow a piece like that to reveal such secret things......oh, except Fish on camera.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Flashback: SI followed Dick Vermeil through his first season as the Rams' coach.

RamBill718July 07, 2017 04:44AM

Great read, fellas. NM

Rams43203July 07, 2017 08:18AM

Re: Flashback: SI followed Dick Vermeil through his first season as the Rams' coach.

Steve271July 07, 2017 09:52PM

The absolute best person, in the history of orginization..

Paydirt262July 07, 2017 10:19PM