Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is McVay the Prodigy the next Magnus Carlsen?

June 22, 2017 06:28PM
8+ wins would be as incredible to me as to you. God knows this team is overcoming deep-running structural problems, and I think McVay is the guy. He's young, yeah. He's a baby. But he just seems so flexible, so adaptable, that it reminds me just a little of chess prodigy Magnus Carlsen.

Magnus hit all his milestones roughly 10 years before the other established chess pros, and proved everyone wrong that he really was ready to hang tough with the grandmasters as a young teen of 13 years. He shows deep mastery of strategy and the endgame, very much like 30 or 40 year old veterans, and a whip-quick flexibility even when he's at a disadvantage. I still remember him fighting back to even, vs. the great Russian prodigy Karjakin last year.

So far, McVay's star is on the rise. He seems to have situational brilliance, and a certain confidence and elan that just isn't found in 31 year olds at this level. Nothing (right now) appears to be too complicated for him to grasp, even these offseason signings, setting rookie expectation and contract maneuvers that he's never dealt with before as a head coach.

We'll see if his mental flexibility continues to be "next level", or if he's just another "Peter principle" Rams coach: rising to the "level of incompetence".

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

McVay Pleased with Progress Made in Offseason Program

RamBill748June 21, 2017 12:55PM

Re: McVay Pleased with Progress Made in Offseason Program

Rams43293June 21, 2017 03:42PM

No it doesn't except for one thing, McVay. He's the wildcard.

max380June 21, 2017 03:53PM

Is McVay the Prodigy the next Magnus Carlsen?

ArizonaRamFan394June 22, 2017 06:28PM

i was there last November, watched them play

max283June 24, 2017 05:52AM

Amazing, Max. I watched a stream

ArizonaRamFan242June 24, 2017 11:55AM