Re: Rams 2nd Year WR's Battling for Roster Spot

May 27, 2017 06:26AM
David Deacon
Locks:

Austin
Kupp - They love this guy
Woods

Near Lock

Reynolds - It will take a lot for him be fall behind 2 other guys plus a true outside guy.

Fighting for a what is probably 2 spots

Spruce - Great hands, great routes I gotta feel they are going to love him before training camp ends
Cooper - RAC, special teams returner, high pick, great character
Thomas - True outside guy, lots of drops, home run threat, special teams gunner
Marquez - Slot guy with limited upside at receiver, special teams star

Now in all someone will probably get hurt and help to sort out this logjam for the last 2 spots but I think they will have a hard time cutting Spruce who is the most similar to Kupp who they love. I really haven't heard much at all so far on Pharaoh Cooper, not a peep so maybe that is a bad sign. I have heard some positive on Thomas so hopefully he has improved. I think Marquez is a long shot.

I also think that if Pharaoh Cooper, Spruce and Thomas blow the doors off in training camp and Reynolds falters that there could be an upset for the final spot though I see that as unlikely.

Super Surprise possibility: North and McRoberts: These guys have some super skills and if they blow the doors off and we get a couple of injuries they could surprise.

I really like your assessment, Deacon.

I am forced to concede that Austin's contract makes him both uncuttable and untradeable. Dang!

Your other 3 are locks, imo.

That means that there are only 2 remaining slots available.

I agree that Marquez is probably a casualty of the numbers, but that still leaves one of Spruce, Cooper, or Thomas that has to be sent to PS. Not sure any of them makes it there before being snatched up.

It will come down to camp and PS games. Could be an excruciating final cut if all 3 play well. Unless McVay feels that he's forced to then keep 7. I mean, Fisher did that last year, didn't he?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams 2nd Year WR's Battling for Roster Spot

RamBill897May 26, 2017 12:38PM

ferragamo79408May 26, 2017 01:05PM

How many will they keep?

JamesJM310May 26, 2017 01:07PM

Re: How many will they keep?

den-the-coach384May 26, 2017 01:29PM

Re: How many will they keep?

zn301May 26, 2017 05:08PM

On, and this, a wild, crazy, off the wall guess...

JamesJM340May 26, 2017 01:12PM

Thomas is the wild card

joram317May 27, 2017 02:53AM

I think Cooper is in

LMU93279May 27, 2017 03:11AM

David Deacon335May 27, 2017 03:32AM

Rams43266May 27, 2017 06:26AM