Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Goff, strategy, and the 2017 draft.

April 28, 2017 04:00AM
Look. I don't know if Goff is going to turn out ok or not. I kinda think he will. He certainly has the physical tools; now he has the guys to develop him. So the rest is about the players around him, the mental part of the game, and converting it all to the field.

But by the book, Goff and Wentz were indeed top half of the first round quality QBs last year. Yes, due to the famous QB premium, they went one and two.

But this year? By the book, there were NO 1st round QBs. A guy who started 13 college games is picked #2 in the draft??????
A guy who has a 48 mph ball (when average is about 52, very good is 55, 56, and top flight is 57 - 60 mph), Watson, is taken at 12 ??????????

Point being: QBs are expensive to acquire. The Rams did the right thing going after Goff and spending the draft capital. Of course, no matter how good the strategy on paper, it has to be successful or it was a bad choice. But by the book, going after Goff was wise. And this from a guy who did NOT want the Rams to do this, but to draft Dak Prescott with their 2nd round pick. But, hey, nobody thought enough of Prescott to draft him any sooner than the 4th round.

These teams are really hanging it out there to move up for this year's batch of QBs. It's a hope and a prayer.

But.....the Rams NEED to take another QB this year. They need to EVERY year. And I suggest using a 6th rounder to take Chad Kelly if he's still there.

For the rest of the draft? Round 2, BPA. If they have a cluster of guys that are graded about the same, take the best offensive player.

At this point I'd like to see: Zay Jones, then Elflein, then Everett or Butt.

If Lamp is there (won't be unless they move up) I don't think they can bypass him.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Goff, strategy, and the 2017 draft.

RockRam566April 28, 2017 04:00AM

I agree with these thoughts - Early Predictions

Ram49183April 28, 2017 07:28AM

Re: Goff, strategy, and the 2017 draft.

Rams43149April 28, 2017 07:34AM

And it's only going to get worse next year

promomasterj177April 28, 2017 07:56AM