Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How Robert Quinn ended up on Rams in 2011

April 22, 2017 04:17PM
Story of how Robert Quinn ended up on Rams in 2011 draft is incredible

By: Bryan Kalbrosky

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

The Rams selected Robert Quinn in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft. Here is what Josh Norris said about how he ended up on the team.

Josh Norris ✔ @JoshNorris
Watching the 2011 NFL Draft replay on NFLN.

Lucky enough to be in a draft room for all 7 rounds that year. They were cracking up at the QBs

Norris is now an NFL writer for Rotoworld, which is owned by NBC Sports Group.

At the time, Norris was an intern for the St. Louis Rams shortly after graduating from college at Elon University in North Carolina. He worked in the Rams scouting department, then later worked for NFLDraftScout.com and the NFL Network.

During the 2011 season, the Rams had the No. 14 overall pick in the first round.

Would y'all be interested if I live tweet this replay of the 2011 NFL Draft with a few of those stories?

So I was with the Rams as an intern that summer. Sam's rookie year. They were very kind to me. I won't say anything negative about them.

As Norris noted, this was the offseason after the rookie year for Sam Bradford.

To no surprise, the team was very interested in wide receiver Julio Jones. But the Falcons traded up to land him at the No. 6 overall pick.

St. Louis was interested in grabbing Robert Quinn from the University of North Carolina.

The team had pick No. 14. Around pick 11, the coaches started pacing into the room. Their board was interesting. Robert Quinn was very high.

Julio ranked highly as well. All day, the feeling around the room was a decision between Prince Amukamara and Corey Liuget.

Norris explained that the Rams expected to land either Prince Amukamara or Corey Liuget.

Pro Football Reference has a tool called Weighted Career Approximate Value. Neither of the players listed above have performed particularly well by that metric.

Liuget has a 37 score while Amukamara has a 21. For comparison, Cam Newton (the No. 1 overall pick in 2011) has an 84 and J.J. Watt (the No. 11 pick) has an 83.

But it is obvious that, ultimately, the decision comes down to the head coach and GM. They are whispering. Quinn is the CLEAR target.

The team NEVER believed Quinn would still be on the board. Again, the decision was thought to be between Prince and Liuget.

Quinn has a mark of 42, which is certainly better than players drafted above him including Aldon Smith, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder and Nick Fairley.

Norris recalled that the Rams didn’t have a need for a defensive end because Chris Long held the position down at the time.

The team had obvious holes at defensive tackle, running back, cornerback and wide receiver. But when Jones was selected, Quinn was their No. 2 overall option.

The earliest selection in the 2011 draft that the Rams had a UDFA grade on was Sione Fua.

Third round to (my) Panthers (at the time)

The Rams had high grades on a number RBs.

Shane Vereen. Mikel Leshoure. Daniel Thomas.

One scout comped Kendall Hunter to Barry Sanders.

Later in the draft, other players that the Rams liked included cornerback Brandon Harris (2nd round), nose tackle Sione Fua (3rd round) and various running backs.

Other things Norris learned during the draft: “best player available” is a lie, the draft is about three picks delayed on television and the majority of the players on a team’s draft board are not considered likely to get drafted.

It’s certainly interesting to hear someone who has been in a draft room with the Rams talk about how the team decided on who they wanted.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

How Robert Quinn ended up on Rams in 2011

RamBill909April 22, 2017 04:17PM

How depressing

RFIP373April 23, 2017 01:48AM

Re: How depressing, Really?

den-the-coach381April 23, 2017 06:04AM

Re: How depressing....how is LUCK a factor?

oldschoolramfan261April 23, 2017 02:19PM

What is lucky is that Jags took Justin Blackmon

Blue and Gold348April 23, 2017 02:43PM

Right, with that I agree.

Blue and Gold214April 23, 2017 02:46PM

Luck would have been getting Justin Houston in rd 3

Rampage2K-228April 23, 2017 03:20PM