Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Will Teams with so much cap available lead to a new season of silly money?

March 08, 2017 01:06PM
I am quite struck by the large number of teams that have crazy amounts of cap money available. I know that they will have to spend a great deal to replace the players that they no longer have under contract but OMG. I think this will lead to some seriously silly contract splurges on lower level players thus driving up the prices on the true gems of the NFL. How much will Donald expect if Garcon gets $16 million for one year-- I know they are different positions but I think you get my point. TJ at $16+??? I think you get my point. Other teams took note when we paid silly money for TA-- justifiably so; now watch what happens during the wee hours of the 2017 FA period.

Agents will teams who are flush with cash for mediocre players. The players will be expected to get paid more from them simply because they have it and the teams will be more likely to spend more simply because they have the cap to do so now even if it will screw up their salary caps and push other cap strapped teams to move beyond their abilities. This year looks like it is going to be a bonkers year for FA's even if the depth and quality might not justify it.

I think tagging TJ was a huge gamble that might be an even bigger mistake for the short term of the franchise. If Snead can work a trade with some sort of compensation then that might soften the blow but is that really likely? I don't think so because their are so many CB'S available in the draft. If the Rams get stuck with TJ's contract for the year the gambit will have failed big time and delayed any serious rebuild of the team for another year.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Will Teams with so much cap available lead to a new season of silly money?

FrRam443March 08, 2017 01:06PM