Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ask the Redskins (RG3 & Cousins)...nm

March 04, 2017 02:01AM
LMU93
Is double-dipping okay?

In PFF’s most recent mock draft, Senior Analyst Steve Palazzolo had the Tennessee Titans taking two cornerbacks in the first round. Of course, this begs the question: As a draft strategy, is it wise to double-dip at one position?

The answer is yes, and for multiple reasons. First, as Palazzolo mentioned, getting two players at the same defensive position can really reshape a team’s defense in a hurry. There are so many talented cornerbacks in this draft class that a team could completely overhaul their secondary with two draft picks.

Second, double-dipping at the same position in the draft can also be used as a type of draft insurance in case the player taken early doesn’t pan out for the team. This is clearly evidenced by the Washington Redskins drafting Robert Griffin III and Kirk Cousins in the same draft.

Third, double-dipping at one position in a draft can also be a strategy to get a good return on the invested pick. If both players hit, then a team has completely reshaped one side of the ball and will have the opportunity to re-sign one player long-term and allow the other player to walk and receive a compensatory pick in return. This is what happened with the Broncos when they drafted Derek Wolfe and Malik Jackson in the same class. Both Wolfe and Jackson performed well enough to earn new contracts, but the Broncos extended Wolfe and let Jackson leave for Jacksonville, receiving a compensatory pick in return. By double-dipping, the Broncos invested a fifth-round pick in Jackson, but received four years of production and a fifth-round draft pick as the return on their investment.

R.I.P. Nelson aka TonyHunter87 1971 - 2017 far too soon..

Your last words to me: "Your a great guy RFIP. I was very sad when you left the board, and your son, but was glad to see you back. Take care my friend, may God be by your side." 09/09/2017 12:58AM

No Nelson, you were a far better man than I, and I am sure an awesome husband and father as well. I will miss you my friend. -RFIP
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

PFF: Is double-dipping at a position a wise draft strategy?

LMU93462March 03, 2017 05:20AM

Depends on team needs and the draft

Flipper336234March 03, 2017 06:10AM

Re: PFF: Is double-dipping at a position a wise draft strategy?

BobCarl323March 03, 2017 03:06PM

Re: PFF: Is double-dipping at a position a wise draft strategy?

oldmanram281March 03, 2017 11:44PM

Ask the Redskins (RG3 & Cousins)...nm

RFIP270March 04, 2017 02:01AM

Or ask the 1981 49ers...

L.A.Rams279March 04, 2017 02:41AM