Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams DC Wade Phillips sees more flexibility, deception in 3-4 defense

February 23, 2017 05:39AM

By Alden Gonzalez

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Wade Phillips played in a 4-3 defensive scheme in college, as a linebacker at Houston in the 1960s. But he went on to become a defensive coordinator who would specialize in implementing the 3-4 scheme, one he will transition the Los Angeles Rams to in 2017.

He just thinks it's a better defense.

"When you have a 4-3, you have four linemen, those are the four guys that are rushing," Phillips said. "When you have a 3-4, you have three linemen and somebody else is coming from somewhere because it’s going to be a four-man rush most of the time. It gives an advantage of them not knowing, protection-wise. I think it helps you, pass defense-wise. If you look at our pass defenses over the years, you look at our sacks over the years, they’ve all been top of the league. And I think that’s the key to beating people is stopping the passing game in this league. That’s why I’ve stuck with the 3-4."

Phillips has presided over 20 top-10 defenses since joining the NFL in 1976. The Broncos unit he oversaw was the game's best each of the last two years, benefiting from a lockdown secondary and a devastating pass rush that didn't require blitz packages to get to the quarterback. Phillips, 69, has incorporated concepts of the 4-3 and the 46 defense over the years, but all within the structure of a 3-4 set.

His defense isn't expected to change much for the Rams' players, even though they used four down linemen and mostly five defensive backs under former coordinator Gregg Williams, a master at disguising pass rushes.

Read Complete Article
[www.espn.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill677February 23, 2017 05:39AM

He does not have the CB's and S's he had in DEN(nm)

Ramsfsninmd310February 23, 2017 07:46AM