Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Opinion: What Else? Rams don't have much time for coach search

December 18, 2016 06:58AM
Nice post, Grits.

Yup, this is gonna be tricky. Especially the timing of everything.

My perfect offseason? Hire the best possible GM first. I mean, the man that has demonstrated the most exec abilities in addition to superior talent evaluation skills.

Then give HIM complete authority over football matters, other than contract negotiations. He should report only to Kroenke. The GM makes the final decision on picks, trades, and FA matters (after consultation with his HC on "type" preferences, of course).

Then let the new GM conduct the HC search and hire.

I would keep Demoff for contract management and any other "projects" that Kroenke comes up with. But not anything directly related to player personnel type decisions.

BTW, I like Snead, but I'm afraid he's gonna be collateral damage after the Fisher firing. I now think that we need more than just a good talent evaluator at the helm, and that's all that we know Snead to be.

The new HC should be allowed to hire any assistants that he wants and to install any schemes that he likes. He would have final say on the 53, the starters, the cuts, etc.

Now, that's my perfect sequence for a successful Ram offseason. Not sure if the Rams see it that way, though. Lol.

Here's my current list of preferred candidates for interviews and in their proper order.

Chris Petersen (yeah, he's the one that checks every box for me)
John Harbaugh (if he becomes available)
David Shaw (if he's at all interested)
Nick Saban (all he does is win)
Urban Meyer (another consistent winner)

I would be VERY happy with any of the above. All are consistent winners with proven exec type HC skills. All 5 are masters of all phases of the game. Unfortunately, 3 of them are unlikely to be interested in leaving their college gigs. And John Harbaugh might not even be available, either.

Then, and only then would I be scheduling the "whiz kid" coordinators for interviews.

Shanahan
McDaniels
McVay
Anybody else they want to talk to.

These guys all have that boom or bust risk associated with their hire. Yet, they would need to be given at least 3 years to prove themselves. That would include the inaugural season at the new palace. I don't like that kinda risk. Do you?

I much prefer the proven successful HC from my original 5 above.

Note: I didn't list Gruden, did I? Heck, I wouldn't even interview him, TBH. Out of the coaching ranks for too long, plus I consider him a diva. Then there's his overall coaching record. But that's just me.

Oh, one last thing. Yeah, I would interview them all. But once I fell in love with a superior candidate, I would offer him the danged job. I would NOT drag this out any further than necessary. Time is gonna be short enough as it is for the new man to get his ducks in a row. Why add another couple of weeks to the hiring process? Besides, why allow another team to tempt the man the Rams most prefer with some ridiculous and desperate offer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2016 07:00AM by Rams43.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Opinion: What Else? Rams don't have much time for coach search

GreatRamNTheSky670December 17, 2016 08:55PM

Personally I want a leader as HC plus an innovative OC

dodgerram277December 18, 2016 12:09AM

Re: Personally I want a leader as HC plus an innovative OC

oldmanram332December 18, 2016 12:44AM

I think David Shaw is a leader.

GreatRamNTheSky260December 18, 2016 06:01AM

Re: Personally I want a leader as HC plus an innovative OC

bigjimram21255December 18, 2016 06:32AM

agreed.