Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams HC Fisher, OC Boras, Dolphins HC Gase and QB Tannehill

November 16, 2016 03:40PM
TRANSCRIPT: Rams HC Fisher, OC Boras, Dolphins HC Gase and QB Tannehill Conference Calls (11-16-16)

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post-Practice – November 16, 2016

(Opening remarks)

“All fired up, had a good practice. Really playing an outstanding opponent – the last four weeks they’ve done an outstanding job turning things around. (Dolphins Qcool smiley Ryan (Tannehill) is playing really well – they’re playing good defense – but Ryan in particular is playing well because of what (Dolphins Rcool smiley Jay (Ajayi) has done in the run game for them. Switching gears, that’s what we need to be successful this week is to have a run game so (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) can be successful. I thought Jared had a good day today – he’s into it. As (Offensive Coordinator) Rob (Boras) probably told you, we have not scaled anything down, we’re moving forward, we’re opening the offense up. It was a good day at practice.”

(On whether there is more pressure on receivers to win their one-on-one match-ups with Goff at quarterback and with RB Todd Gurley being the focus of most defenses)

“We have to win outside, there’s no doubt and they’re going to challenge us outside, but we have to win. They have an outstanding secondary, their safeties run-support well and corners are going to challenge you. If their focus goes to (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley), then yes, we have to make the plays down the field.”

(On if he sees a change in Goff’s body language since he’s become the starter)

“He’s just excited; he’s excited, as he should be. It’s a challenge. This game is not going to define his career. It’s a good defense, but he’s excited about the opportunity. He’s working hard, and he’s great in the huddle. The offensive group just moved on. We just moved on, and they’re excited about it. It’s not going to be easy. There’s going to be some negative plays that always happen in games, but he’ll overcome them. We have to put him in position to make some quick decisions, get rid of the football, and make some plays.”

(On Goff lining up against DT Ndamukong Suh)

“Suh is a really good player, but he’s not the only really good player they have on their defense. You start talking about their rushers and the depth that they have, and their middle linebacker, and everybody. What Jared is going to see is, he’s going to see 11 guys. He’s going to line up and see 11, and not necessarily be concerned where anybody is up front, other than trust his teammates to give him some time. I said yesterday, I have all of the respect in the world for (Chargers Qcool smiley Philip Rivers. He had very little time to throw the football. So, we have to do a better job up front.”

(On what most interests him about Goff going into Sunday)

“It’s how we finish up the week. Good day today; we’ll look at the tape. He’s going to take extra time tomorrow in their day off, and then we’ll have good Friday, and then the walk-thru Saturday, and then he’ll be prepared. We typically quiz the offensive players, and defensive players for that matter, with respect to the game plan Saturday night. I’m sure he’ll do well. He’ll be prepared, and it’s just relax and go play. I’m hoping that the game slows down for him, and I think it well. But again, there’s going to be tough times in this game because this is a good defense.”

(On the chemistry between Goff and WR Kenny Britt and TE Lance Kendricks, and if Goff will be more comfortable with other receivers and try to get them involved more)

“Other than Lance and Kenny, no, they’re a part of our offense. Jared’s progression – his reads take him to where he’s supposed to throw the football. But, he’s got a good feel for everybody. We just have to do a better job of getting people open. We have to do a better job out of the backfield and a better job on third down. But, that’s part of our offensive system and the game plan. Their defense is top-5 or top-3 on third down right now, and they can pressure you. It’s tough sledding for a quarterback, but we feel like we have a good plan in, and we’ll hang in there.”

(On the status of DE Rob Quinn)

“Rob was much better, yeah. He did a bunch of stuff inside. We didn’t clear him to practice, but tomorrow he’ll move around outside on the field.”

Rams Offensive Coordinator Rob Boras – Post Practice – November 16, 2016

(On what Jared Goff being the new starting quarterback means for the offense)

“I think, offensively, obviously we need to rally around Jared, which I know that they will – we’re excited about it. He’s been preparing as if he’s been the starter for the first nine games. Again, we all recognize it’s different than actually playing. The volume of the plays, it’s the same amount of plays, the same package, we trust with where he is mentally – that’s what we’ve kept commenting on, how well he’s handling everything. I thought it was a really strong day today, obviously we’re really excited about this next chapter of the season and seeing Jared’s career take off.”

(On if he has much conversation with Goff leading up to the game regarding which plays he feels comfortable with)

“Without a doubt, and that’s part of it. In the past, I would sit down with (Qcool smiley Case (Keenum), as well as with Jared and I would get their favorites in each category. So I would have a call sheet with my rankings that Case had given me as well if Jared had gone in, so no different there except I’ll have a couple call sheets marked up for Jared and one marked up for Case. Same sort of conversations.”

(On if Goff gives the offense a different element)

“We’re going to find out. He’s tall – again, it’s a big man’s game at a lot of positions – he’s tall, he can see, everything we talked about – his delivery, how quick he is, he’s decisive. We saw how tough he was at Cal, we hope he doesn’t have to be that tough and take hits, but we saw his toughness. His ability to escape and extend plays, his intelligence. We’re excited about seeing it take off on Sunday.”

(On if the practices during the bye week where Goff got reps with the first team offense was a turning point)

“I think it was one of the turning points. Obviously any time that you get extended reps, you have a better time to evaluate. We kept talking about the classroom, classroom, classroom, but now you got more reps against the first team defense. So it definitely helped us see where he was and helped part of the evaluation process.”

(On how many plays they will script on Sunday)

“We script 16 in the openers.”

(On if 16 plays is the same amount regardless of who is at quarterback)

“Yes.”

(On if it puts more pressure on the receivers when defenses are focusing more on RB Todd Gurley)

“It can. Obviously anytime that they’re stacking the box and we’re getting man coverage, those guys have to get open. If they’re playing a lot of guys to stop the run, the receivers like Kenny (Britt) are taking advantage of it and making plays. It kind of works hand-in-hand. Hopefully they can’t defend both and the receivers like to see when they’re playing post-safety man and getting up there because they have the ability to win the one-on-one compared to the running backs want to see when they’re back there in cover-two and it’s a seven-man box. Those guys can argue in the locker room with what they get.”

(On how he can call plays to make sure the offensive line protects Goff to keep his nerves under control)

“I think whether it’s Jared at quarterback, Case at quarterback, whoever your quarterback is – that’s what you want to do. No quarterback likes having guys around their feet or in them. We try to do that all the time. Again, with this game coming up, it being his first regular season game, we’re going to take a look at all the different things that we think we can do protection-wise for him and put him in the best position. But that’s the same sort of the things we were doing with Case as our starter as well.”

(On the dynamic in the quarterback room)

“First of all, and I believe Coach (Fisher) has probably talked about it, Case Keenum is – and I’ve said it before, my heart goes out to Case. Case is a man. Case is a teammate and a great leader and he’s going to be great in that room. That’s a compliment to him and his family with the type of person and character that he is. There is nothing odd in that classroom. He’s going to handle it great. He will help Jared every way that he can, because that’s who he is. I can’t say enough good things about Case and the person he is. If he gets called on again, he will be ready because that’s who he is. I love him dearly, thank him for everything and he’s going to make this team better because of who he is as a leader still.”

(On if they had been straight-forward with Keenum regarding what they were doing with Goff)

“Yeah, when we drafted Jared where we did, everybody knew what was going to happen, it was just a question of when. We’re all competitors and Case is a competitive person. He’s not excited about this, but he also understands the situation and he’s going to make the most of it. There’s been communication along the way, it still doesn’t make it any easier for him when he ultimately finds out, but he’s handled it well and he’ll continue to handle it well. Shoot, he had a good practice today against our scout team, it really helped our defense today. It was good, that’s the type of guy that he is.”

(On if it was good to get things going with Gurley in the second half of last week’s game against the Jets)

“Yeah, we were able to get him, I believe he had 21 carries and the first half wasn’t pretty. I don’t know what his yards per carry was in the first half, but our defense again is playing lights out and it allowed us to hand the ball off in the second half. His yards per carry went up, we saw some 8, 9, 10, 12-yard gains there and that’s what we expect in the run game. It took us a half to get there, we’re hoping to build off that momentum and carry it over to the first half this week against a really good defense with Miami.”

(On if the offensive line graded out better this week)

“I thought they played really well in the second half. There were some really good examples in the run game with our double teams and our fits and getting to the second level, it was really well done. It was well-blocked and Todd and (Rcool smiley Benny (Cunningham) took advantage of it.”

Dolphins Head Coach Adam Gase – Conference Call – November 16, 2016

(On what he has seen over the last four games that has led Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill to not throw any interceptions)

“I think, mostly, it has to do with the fact that we’ve gotten our starting five offensive linemen back, getting that group back together and then the running game coming around. We had some games, at the end of the game, where we had to lean on him quite a bit, he had to take some chances as far as trying to get us back in the game. That had a lot to do with some of the interceptions that we had earlier in the season. And then the last four games, we’ve played a lot more balanced football, he hasn’t had to really force anything, he’s made a lot of really good decisions the times that it’s been crunch time on third downs and things like that. I think the development of the offense, as far as us being together for a little longer period of time has really helped us out, as well.”

(On how it impacts his preparation when facing a quarterback who has never played in a regular season game like Rams QB Jared Goff)

“Obviously, our information is limited as far as what he’s put on tape at this level. Our ability to at least tell our players strengths and weaknesses is very limited. We have to be very sharp within the game of trying to figure out what they could possibly lean on or go to that he does really well and, maybe, try to figure out what possibly could give him problems. It makes it tough when you have this limited information, you can always try to go back and either look at college tape or go back to our college scouts’ evaluations of him. It makes it tough because you’re so used to having so much information on almost every player that you go against, no matter what position they play. Right now, obviously our information is very limited.”

(On if they can look at preseason film of Goff to prepare)

“Once again, it’s so limited. A lot of times, in the preseason, you’re not really getting too exotic and you’re trying to just run basic things. Not only him being a young player and kind of trying to get his feet wet in the preseason, but the guys that he’s playing with, a lot of those guys are probably either not on the roster or were younger guys themselves that were trying to get a feel for what they were doing offensively. It is tough to just look at that and (say) this is exactly who he is, because, once again, you just don’t have a lot of information.”

(On putting pressure on the quarterback and how well their defense has played in the last several games)

“I think anytime that you can apply any kind of pressure to quarterbacks in this league, it obviously makes a big difference throughout the game. Last week, playing a guy of the caliber of (Chargers Qcool smiley Philip Rivers, you try to apply as much pressure as possible – whether it be by pressuring him or with a four-man rush and then collapsing the pocket. Some of these experienced guys do such a good job as far as being able to stand in there and it doesn’t really phase them because they’ve been through this so many times. The way that our defense is playing right now, I feel like the guys are really playing good assignment football. They’re doing so much right as far as everybody being on the same page. I think the games that we’ve struggled in, we’ve had some miscues with guys on different pages – and I don’t want to say freelancing – but it’s almost like busts. We had too many busts early in the season, which cost us.”

(On how much he looked at Goff coming out in the draft and what he remembers about his impressions of him)

“It was very brief. I just looked at enough just to be familiar. A lot of times when you’re not in the position to take a guy, and obviously this being my first year as head coach, I had a lot of other things I was looking at. Just being somebody that admires that position and always wants to make sure that you’re up-to-date on all of the guys coming into the league, I tried to look at a little bit, but I didn’t look at enough to really have a great opinion, one way or another, as far as an evaluation standpoint.”

(On how tempted he is to mix things up defensively going against a quarterback making his debut)

“A lot of times, the way that we go into these games, is we’re always trying to affect the quarterback, no matter who it is back there. (Dolphins defensive coordinator) Vance (Joseph) does a great job as far as giving different looks and different types of pressures. Once again, we don’t know how he’s going to handle certain things. Just because he’s a young player doesn’t mean that he hasn’t grown since he’s left college. I know the defense that he gets to practice against every day is not a defense that just lines up and plays one or two coverages. You talk about being able to develop quickly, he’s probably going against the best defense to go against because (Rams Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Gregg) Williams has so many different looks and does such a great job with his pressures. If you can handle what he’s doing and if you can show that you’re practicing well against his defense, then you’re probably ready for the NFL-caliber-type game.”

(On if he gets any sense from the locker room that they’re chomping at the bit to get after a rookie quarterback)

“I think our guys are focused about doing their job and making sure that they’re on their assignments. We focus more on what we need to do and less on the opponent. Our weeks are about what we need to do and not necessarily what our opponents are doing.”

(On if the team is staying in Southern California this week after playing the Chargers on Sunday)

“Yeah, we’re still up in San Diego.”

(On how Dolphins RB Jay Ajayi’s breakout over the last four weeks has allowed them to do things differently on offense)

“Anytime your running game explodes like ours has, the three weeks before this last one, you start getting a lot of single coverage on the outside. It opens up some opportunity for some play-action throws down the field. He’s made a big difference, as far as our mentality, and a lot of it has to do with him, a lot of it has to do with those five offensive linemen. Those guys basically put this offense on their back. They dictated to me, basically, what they wanted to do, they didn’t say it, they didn’t say it, they did it by action. When you’re a play-caller, you see you’re ripping off eight-to-12 yards a clip on the run-game, that’s enough for you, as a play caller, to realize that they’re making a statement to you and they want you to run the ball and that’s basically what our guys did. As a coaching staff, we’ve stuck with what our guys really think they’re good at.”

(On if there’s anything he saw from Ajayi in the offseason that made him believe he would have this type of performance)

“I think the only thing I can really say about this offseason, is that he did a really good job of – he was the fastest to learn our system. He probably adjusted quicker than anybody else with just kind of the schemes that we were trying to do. I know he didn’t have – I don’t know exactly – but the preseason games as he wanted to. I know when we signed (Rcool smiley Arian (Foster), we kind of had a plan as far as what we wanted to do with a one-two punch with those guys. It didn’t quite work out the way we had pictured it when we got going in training camp, but at the end of the day, it’s worked out. We’ve gone some through bumps in the road, and Jay has fought through some adversity. A lot of the things that have happened to us have been for the better. I think it’s made us a better team and a stronger team, especially on offense.”

(On any surprises or challenges in his first year as a head coach)

“That’s a tough one to answer. I think there’s been very few things where I can say I’ve been surprised. But, I think just the amount of time that you have to spend on some of the non-football related issue. You never realize how many actual minutes you lose per day when you’re dealing with things that really have nothing to do with game planning for your next opponent.”

(On how Albert’s absence will affect the continuity the offensive line has formed)

“I think anytime you lose a player that has been as good of a leader as he’s been, it’s always tough to replace a guy like that. I think we are strong enough though with (C Mike) Pouncey, and (T) Ja’Wuan (James), and (OL) Jermon (Bushrod), as far as veteran guys that have been working together here for a little bit. Obviously, (T Laremy) Tunsil, even though he’s just a rookie, you would never know that he’s kind of got a little bit of that veteran presence. Obviously, he’s very confident in his ability. I feel good as far as how those guys will work together. They probably have their toughest test that we’ve had so far. We’ve played four really tough fronts the last four weeks, and they’ve done well. But at the end of the day, this is probably going to be our biggest challenge. These guys bring a totally different element because they do have an entire front that’s playing at a very high level. Then you start mixing in Coach Williams’ scheme with that, it makes it very difficult for those front guys.”

(On if Tunsil will move over to left tackle)

“Yes.”

(On the play of DT Ndamukong Suh, and if he’s gotten any static regarding his acting roles)

“I don’t know if I can answer the acting roles question. Maybe I’m too much in a bunker to really realize what’s going on. I feel like my research department hasn’t really kept me up-to-date on this one. But as far as his play goes, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a defensive tackle play as consistent, as hard, been available as much as he has been for us this season. You can see it in his preparation. The way that he works on his off day, or the Mondays, the way he prepares himself, and then when he goes out on Sunday, he really sells out. He gives everything that he has. I don’t know if I’ve ever been around a guy that size that moves as well as he does, and pursues the ball with a purpose. He’s a special player. I never thought I’d be around a guy that athletic, that big, that plays interior defensive line the way that he’s been playing it.”

Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill – Conference Call – November 16, 2016

(On the challenge of going against the Rams defensive)

“They have a great defense. It’s definitely a challenge for us. They have a really good front. They do a lot of things to put pressure on the offensive line, get a lot of five-on-five matchups and let their guys work. They have a lot of faith in the guys and for good reason. They’re really talented upfront, and they do a good job of getting pressure on the quarterback, whether it’s pushing the pocket, affecting throws, making the quarterback move – all those types of things to just disrupt the passing game. I have a ton of respect for this defense and how they want to affect the game.”

(On whether he has recollections of his first NFL start, given that QB Jared Goff will make his first NFL start on Sunday)

“Yes, I obviously remember my first start. It was a rough first half and then we got things going in the second half. But that was a long time ago.”

(On what kinds of things helped him get through it after that first half, and what kind of things happened that enabled him to run a little bit more smoothly)

“You just have to keep playing. I think no matter whether you’re in your first game or your 101st game that’s football. You just got to keep playing.”

(On what he thinks has been the difference with Head Coach Adam Gase at the helm)

“I think he’s done a great job of establishing a mindset, building a culture around our building, a belief in each other. We’ve done a good job of pushing each other in practice, practicing really hard. We’re practicing efficiently and trying to get the most out of our time. I think establishing the culture has been the biggest thing (and) his mindset, competiveness in practice and pushing each other to be better. And we see that payoff on Sundays.”

(On his first season as an NFL starting quarterback and looking back to how that first season has helped him throughout his career thus far)

“Obviously, the more reps you get, the more experience you get, the more comfortable you get and you learn. You learn from the good reps; you learn from the bad reps. You learn from game reps and practice reps alike. The more reps you get under your belt, the better you should be.”

(On DT Ndamukong Suh and what he has done for the Dolphins defense this season)

“He has done a great job. He’s very disruptive, whether it be in the pass game or the run game. He’s a talented player who’s playing really well right now. He’s making a lot of big plays for our defense.”

(On what thinks has been the key to RB Jay Ajayi’s success this season)

“I think he has done a really nice job. I think he learned a lot from Arian (Foster) in the run game whenever Arian was here. I think the biggest deal over the last month has been the offensive line doing a great job up front and giving him those creases. Jay runs hard. He runs hard every down. He’s going to break tackles. He’s going to run through arm tackles and make it tough and then get to that second level consistently. That’s trouble for a defense. I don’t care, really, what defense it is. You get a 240 pound back – or however much he weighs – running full steam ahead, you don’t want to have that matchup several times over the course of the game. That’s really our goal – to get him to the second level, get him to the secondary clean and let him work from there.”

(On what he thinks is the reason for the teams recent four game win streak and whether he thinks it has to do with building chemistry with the coaching staff)

“There’s definitely a learning curve with the new system, new head coach. There’s definitely a growing process, and we’re still on it. We’re still on that path. We keep growing as a team – growing as an offense – and building that chemistry together. That’s definitely a big part of it, and I hope to continue on that path.”

(On whether he had any advice for Goff with it being his first NFL start)

“I’m not really big on giving him advice before we play him. I’m just focused on doing everything I can to help this team win.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPT: Rams HC Fisher, OC Boras, Dolphins HC Gase and QB Tannehill

Shaky596November 16, 2016 03:40PM