Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles – Conference Call – November 9, 2016

November 09, 2016 12:28PM

(On his impression of the Rams, in particular their defense, given how well they’ve been playing the last couple of games)

“The defense has been playing lights-out. They have a lot of talent in the front end, the back end and the middle. They’ve been doing a great job getting after people. It’s going to be a tough game.”

(On the his team’s current quarterback situation)

“Between (Qcool smiley Ryan (Fitzpatrick) and (Qcool smiley Bryce (Petty) – if Ryan is healthy he’ll start Sunday, if not we’ll put Bryce in there. But it’s early in the week, we have got a ways to go and we’ll just work on it from there.”

(On DL Leonard Williams’ development over the last couple years)

“The first year he was pretty good, but this year he kind of understands the blocking schemes a little better and he’s playing a lot faster without thinking. We’re very happy with Leonard – he’s been doing a great job.”

(On the 2015 draft and whether he feels they have had a lot of value out of the sixth pick in Williams)

“Definitely. We weren’t expecting to see him to go that far, but when he came to us at six we were more than happy to take him.”

(On how much Williams has benefited from having the veteran players around him)

“He’s benefitted a lot – those guys have taught him a lot. Especially as far as blocking schemes, how to take on blocks, and what he should look for and everything coming out. He’s film junkie as well, but he’s learned a lot from the other guys.”

(On the difference between the health statues of both teams)

“Injuries come, they come in bunches, and you deal with them as you go. You got guys on the team backing them up, ready to play. We just plug guys in and keep going.”

(On what needs to take place for a team’s running game to take shape)

“I definitely can’t speak for them, because we had our running game stuck getting going a lot of times too (laughter). So, not speaking or them, but speaking for ourselves, we just got to keep working at it. For our guys, it’s a guy here and a guy there, or a bust there, or a bust there. Sometimes, they’re packing the box a lot. I’m sure they’ll see some of the same things, but we’re trying to get our own running game going. We’ll try to figure out how to stop the Rams on Sunday. Coach (Jeff) Fisher is a good coach, I have no doubt about that, and I’m pretty sure they’re working to get things turned around, as well.”

(On what factors lead to a breakdown in the run game)

“For us, personally, it’s been a guy here or there. Then, it’s been a stacked box here or there, or one way or the other, or we either missed a hole one way or the other, so it’s a combination of things for us. I can’t speak for them, but I know that’s how it is for us.”

(On if he sees any similarities regarding the quarterback situation in New York, as it is in Los Angeles. On if Jets fans eager to see QB Bryce Petty start)

“No, I really don’t. I just worry about our situation. I’ll let them take care of that one out there.”

Jets DL Leonard Williams – Conference Call – November 9, 2016

(On playing a team from Los Angeles)

“Coming from L.A., I’m just happy that they even have a football team out there again. I would love to play in the Coliseum again as a pro, but it’s still fun to be able to play a team that’s from the Coliseum.”

(On if he followed the news of the Rams move to Los Angeles and if he was surprised that Los Angeles didn’t have a team for so long)

“I was actually surprised we didn’t have a time for so long out there in L.A. It’s such a big market and such a big city and stuff like that. There’s always been talk about bringing the Rams back and stuff like that and it’s finally happened. I was keeping up with it for a little bit.”

(On his thoughts when he played against Rams QB Jared Goff in college)

“Playing against him at USC, he just seemed like a good leader. You could tell he was the leader of that team and the leader of that offense. He was always a composed and pretty poised guy. Even when things were going wrong for them or things weren’t going quite their way, you could tell that he wasn’t letting the pressure get to him. He was composing the team and just continued to fight. He’s a pretty tough dude.”

(On what he’s expecting from the Rams this week)

“I’m expecting a team that’s going to come out ready to fight. They’re not going to roll over, they’re going play to get this win after this long losing streak. It’s kind of a similar situation to when we were going through a four-game losing streak in the beginning of the season and we had to come back and fight from it. I’m going to be expecting the same thing from them.”

(On what he learned about himself and his teammates going through their losing streak)

“I learned a lot. I know that I have a lot of guys on the team that are always ready to fight for each other and rally together when times are going hard. I think the biggest thing is we can’t listen to any outside noise. There’s a lot of people talking down on us and a lot of people who aren’t with us but want to talk about us. All we were really focused on is who’s with us, who’s in the facility and who’s going to continue to fight with us. We all know who those guys are now. If you’re not a part of that, then it’s outside noise.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky534November 09, 2016 12:28PM