Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is Jeff Fisher's extension with the Rams still on the table?

November 01, 2016 04:21AM
By Alden Gonzalez

It seems like forever since the Los Angeles Rams played an actual football game. But they're back in a normal practice week now, getting set to host Carolina on Sunday for what will be their first true home game in nearly a month. Late Tuesday afternoon, they will hold their first official practice in six days. Before that, I answered some of your lingering questions, touching on the three essential topics for this team: Jared Goff versus Case Keenum, Jeff Fisher's extension and Todd Gurley's production.

FreeGoff @HoldenCantor
@Alden_Gonzalez any chance fisher is trying to hide that Goff will actually be the starter vs the panthers?

Sure, there is always that chance. But I wouldn't bet on it. Goff took first-team reps last week because of the bye, then said he feels "tremendously more comfortable than I've ever felt" and added that he is "confident that if my number's called, I'll be ready to go." But Fisher has repeatedly said he is sticking with Keenum, who has the NFL's lowest Total QBR and just threw four interceptions in the Rams' third straight loss on Oct. 23. There can really only be two reasons for this ...

There is something Goff simply isn't showing the Rams, and because it's so difficult to judge a quarterback based on limited scout-team reps, you'd have to think it largely stems from the classroom. One thing Keenum does have is a good feel for the way this offense operates. But Fisher recently stated that the Rams wouldn't simplify the offense to accommodate Goff, because Goff has "that good of a feel for what we're doing." So there's that.

Fisher is hell-bent on sticking to his plan heading into the season, which seemingly called for Goff to use his entire rookie year to learn as a backup. Goff entered the NFL having not called a play from the huddle or taken a snap from under center. Also, he was 22 years and 18 days old as of Tuesday morning. Carson Wentz (23 years and 307 days old), Dak Prescott (23 years and 95 days) and Cody Kessler (23 years and 174 days) are all older.

Read Complete Article [www.espn.com]
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill570November 01, 2016 04:21AM