September 26, 2016 08:01PM
From opening drive, here's how things went right for Rams in win over Buccaneers

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE / STAFF COLUMNIST

[www.ocregister.com]

The Rams are 2-1 for the first time since 2006 and the first time under Coach Jeff Fisher.

That isn’t saying much, but in a way it says everything about how bad the Rams have been over the last decade.

But give them credit: They’ve come to Los Angeles and after three games done something that for them, has been elusive during the past 10 years.

They began a season as a relevant team, and as they head to Arizona to play the Cardinals on Sunday they do so on a two-game winning streak after holding on to beat the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on a hot, humid central Florida afternoon in which the game was delayed for more than an hour due to lightning near Raymond James Stadium.

Here are observations after the Week 3 win.

PLAYMAKERS STEP UP
One thing that has dogged the Rams over the years is a lack of players willing and able to make the key play at the key time.

In two weeks, two players have stepped up to provide the necessary play to seal the win.

In Week 2 it was Alec Ogletree stripping Seattle Seahawks running back Christine Michael of the ball and then falling on it for a game-saving fumble recovery to clinch a 9-3 victory.

On Sunday it was defensive end Robert Quinn streaking onto the scene to tackle Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston at the 5-yard-line to preserve the 37-32 win.

In both instances, it was players not giving in and not giving up and ultimately providing the lift needed.

“You’ve got to kind of have a relentless effort,” Quinn said. “Like I said, I got upfield, came back and I thought (Winston) was going to take off running for the touchdown, but I saw him pull up looking to the end zone. I just gave every last bit of effort I had to try to get to him. Luckily I had enough time and no one got open in time. I was able to get him down.”

GURLEY SHOWS SIGNS OF LIFE
At one point Sunday a frustrated Todd Gurley slammed his hand to the ground after getting stopped for – another – short gain.

Up to that point, it had been that kind of start to the 2016 season for the NFL’s reigning Offensive Rookie of the Year.

With opposing teams building 8, 9 and sometimes 10-men walls at the line of scrimmage, Gurley has found little room to run.

But that began to change – albeit subtly – through the second half as Gurley got untracked for 85 yards – 50 in the second half – and scored two touchdowns.

It was a step in the right direction for a player on whom so much of the Rams offense relies.

“The difference there was we converted some third downs,” Fisher said. “We had some opportunities with him, a turnover here and there helps for extra carries. He’s not there yet, not because of Todd Gurley personally, but we don’t have him there offensively to where we want to get to.”

RAMS CAN SCORE TDS
After going the opening two weeks without putting the ball over the goal line, the offense scored four touchdowns against Tampa Bay, including a game-opening drive that resulted in a touchdown pass from Case Keenum to Brian Quick.

The sigh of relief could be felt across the nearby Gulf of Mexico.

“It was really big,” Keenum said. “I wanted the ball, coming out (of the opening coin toss). Coach Fisher said he wanted the ball. We wanted to go put some points on the board. We converted on some third downs, which were really big coming out of the gate and Brian Quick ran a great route on the post and spread it out there. He went and got it. It was great. It was really good.”

Now if they can just keep it up.

“When you score points, which we did, you got a chance,” Fisher said. “Turnovers hurt us early but we got the two big plays on defense, the return for touchdown and the interception by Mark (Barron). That kind of balanced things out.

“I thought Case (Keenum) made some good throws. The game was hard but he made some really good throws. It was great to get the ball in the end zone, finally.”

RAMS HAVE A BIG GAME SUNDAY
And when is the last time you’ve heard that?

Yes, it’s still only Week 4, but a win Sunday over the Cardinals would put the Rams at 3-1 and atop the NFL West standings. It also would means a three-game winning streak.

“I think it’s great. I think we are in a good spot,” Keenum said. “I think we are getting better each week, which is what you want to do. Going on the road and being successful is obviously really good, too. We’re going to have another tough test with another with a really good football team on the road again this week, so we’re going to enjoy this tonight and look forward to this next week.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

From opening drive, here's how things went right for Rams in win over Buccaneers

RamBill459September 26, 2016 08:01PM