Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

quick thoughts

August 14, 2016 07:34AM
QB

not much to add. with time to look at the defense, Sean sure took the controls, and agree that he was barking at guys to get it right. Also, he's smart, and it that he knows the playbook so well: just have to wonder how the coaching staff looks at this tape.

RB
Bennie does look more "fit." heard he's lost some weight, but he certainly lost none of his ability to break first contact.
Malcom Brown isn't my favorite player. Not the speed or shiftiness of Aaron Green, but he follows his blocks, and made the most of his chances.
Aaron Green was as advertised from media. Excellent shift, second effort, and hands. Now curious to see how he does in pass pro. Can he makes this squad?
Chase Reynolds just makes plays. On the downside, he overshot his coverage on that first kickoff, but there are 10 other guys out there that should have made that stop. Chase is always on the roster edge; Once again, one can't really think of cutting him with his expertise on specials, and that ability to come in as necessary, and score a TD, make a play on the ball, etc

TE
Higbee is good fun to watch. Big kid; looks like he's not being "simplified" in scheme. They had him in motion; he was targeted; really didn't see much after the ball went through his hands on the high ball.
Kendricks is fine.
Harkey "brushed" up against a Cowboy on the Cunningham TD; may or may not have helped spring Bennie for that TD. Harkey's fine
Cunningham got a lot more reps than I figured him for. He was okay; nothing remarkable. Stoneburner got out there, too. Not sure that they plan on keeping either Stoneburner or Hemmingway, imo. But there's still time.
Not sure that I'll call him a TE. But having Donnal come in tackle eligible, and as an added blocker was good fun.

OL
big fail on my part. very busy watching the flankers, rbs.....I have few things to offer.
Williams seemed to be in the first mix at LT on rotation.
maybe I was wildly out of my mind, but in a weird moment. Jamon Brown at LT, Greg Robinson moved inside to LG for one play. Probably just my dyslexic binocular use, but left me shaking my head.
bad on me, again. utterly missed any snaps by Battle; still wondering how he might have done.

WR
this could go on and on
Nice to see Brian Quick make some plays. Sure appeared on the overthrow by Goff, that had the ball been on line Brian might have made that play. On the same play, it sure looked as if Thomas was singled to the other side, and was free to the weak side.

An unhappy moment for me, as the drop by Tavon Austin for what would have been a chainmover falls to the grass. That's annoying play, and is a direct flashback to the 2015 season. At first blush, I thought the ball had been underthrown, and gassed out before it got to Tavon. False. Straight whiff by Tavon.

Cooper. He's commended for his work on special teams, but the long ball he missed bummed me out. Perhaps, that's unfair; but running with the ones? I'd like to think there's a reason for that; Sure, didn't show there, did it?

Marquez. not targeted, and showed up on special teams coverage. not sure if he was on the opening KO coverage team. is his job really that secure?

Paul McRoberts. What I found most interesting is that they definitely schemed to put the ball in his hands. Whether that was Boras, or Groh, or Mannion I don't know. But 5 targets was kind of surprising to me. Add in that opening with 2 misses ought to have removed him from the mix, but no, they kept coming back to him. The "dart' play was quite good. To some degree, it felt as though they missed some chances to go elsewhere with the football.

Mike Thomas. Incomplete. hope they come back to him in the next game. In a couple of plays, they lined up in the wide spot, and he was in single coverage. But they bypassed the look downfield. yes drops aren't good, but it felt uneven in the looks as they came to McRoberts repeatedly.

Duke. I'll admit. He strikes an image. Sort of excited when he's out there, as I thought they'd look his way. He, too, had single coverage when split wide, but they weren't looking to him. The ball he did get was not something to work with. Again, interested to see if they can work him to rotation.

Nelson Spruce. There's nothing I can add to the superlatives. Thought you might be able to hide him on your practice squad? Or cut him late and hope for the best? And let's just say it here for those not in the stadium. He lit the place up, and lit up bright. It was all cowboy voices, or seemingly that way, in crunch time. Crowd around us was thunderous. You sure this is a preseason game? Wouldn't known from the players or the crowd. Add on the nice Spruce video on the jumbotron to place him in the moment;

BTW.....And there's Tavon Austin; Crazy worked up, prancing around the perimeter of the special teams unit; inciting, imploring, and plain carrying on. Late in the game.....getting the energy up.

Defense
as we know, none of us happy with the first unit.
Even Aaron Donald got a face full of Fisher after a missed extra point was put back on the board, by his penalty.
Longacre, Westbrooks.....like their motors.
Coty Sensabaugh. Looked worse in person. Not sure who said it, but small corners working down the field against larger WRs? Not so much. This is where Joyner also suffers.
Add in that I'm not sure where the help is over the top. They worked some single safety schemes, and boxed up the other safety. TJ McDonald appeared to me to be playing off, and playing a bit "safe." Which is fine. Not sure about Randolph. Didn't look good for that leg. My kid thought maybe he got sliced, too.
Have to wonder how big the window is for EJ Gaines to be back in the mix.
I'd prefer to see more Roberson in rotation early; We may be missing Janoris more than we knew.
Alexander had an up and down evening.

And the linebackers are a curious lot. On the bright side, I saw nothing; NOTHING but vanilla from Gregg Williams. Kept to a standard 4-3. Hager seems to be the defensive qb when he's out there. undersized, and not terribly fast. Don't remember seeing the W Kentucky kid. Littleton stuffed his nose in there a couple of times, and made a special teams play. I think there's room on this roster, and wished Lynch had been more productive, and there's the rub......is there anyone on the roster that brings a new face to the LB corps.

all in all, good fun. tailgating was amazing. for a first time nfl in 37 years at the stadium; folks were all over it. all agreed; this a good first run, but expect to dial their programs in......can't wait for next Saturday.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

quick thoughts

leafnose912August 14, 2016 07:34AM

Much appreciated, Leaf - (nm)

JamesJM313August 14, 2016 09:08AM

good stuff, leaf nm

21Dog305August 14, 2016 08:32PM

Thx, Leafnose. Enjoyable read. nm

Saguaro307August 15, 2016 04:06AM